Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Preview

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
it looks good but im hoping that the AI with guns arent as overpowered as they seem in the vid.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Art Axiv said:
Funny enough, this game was released in Poland on 4th of December 2009 ;) I guess we as Poles were the target audience!

+1 for Hussars!
I believe that was a expansion of the original Mount&Blade, this is an expansion built off Warband, so better interface, textures, etc.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
The mods are where it's at in Mount and Blade. My favorite is the one based off of the Berserk manga.

It even follows the story pretty faithfully. It's got everything in it, the soundtrack from the anime, soldiers of differing heights, 10 foot tall ogres, even the whole eclipse god hand event. Not sure if it works with War Bands yet though.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Looks good, and I'll probably get it, but I can't see a single thing in here that hasn't already been done by a free mod, and probably better.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
OH MY GOD YES!
I AM SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED FOR THIS, AS EXPRESSED MY MY INCORRECT AND UNNECESSARY USAGE OF CAPITALIZED LETTERS.
Yeah. Very excited. Although, I haven't played in a while, so I got to prepare for this new standalone.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Selvec said:
Rip off. Most of what has been implemented in this "Stand-Alone Expansion" (Otherwise known as an excuse to charge full price again), was implemented via mods in the very first Mount and Blade. Hell all the stuff in this "Stand-Alone Expansion" are almost exactly the same as said mods.

Its BS. I was a big fan of taleworlds, I purchased their game back in the early beta's and supported them through the testing process, only to get gibbed later. This is just a mod package. It's not worth the price and how they present it as being their own is lame.

Seriously. Screw them.
Your forgetting Warbands also had multiplayer, and dedicated multiplayer servers. It was also the first time it was released on Steam. It wasn't so much an expansion for old players but a new game for new players. And if you bought the game back in beta there's no way you paid more than twenty dollars for it so you can't be that ripped off. If this was a sixty dollar game I'd probably agree with you but it's never been that expensive.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I just can't see the guns striking a balance in gameplay.

For multiplayer, anyway. In singleplayer I can see it working though.

I think I'll just stick with my beloved Warband.

cantgetaname

Mar 16, 2011
Anyone else have the bad feeling that those guns are going to be extremely annoying?

*having an epic battle, dodging and blocking blows right and left, killed 15 guys, full healt-BAM! insta-killed*

Cause nothing stops your enemies from reloading their gun and capping you whilst you go around stabbing their friends.

None-the-less I'm still looking forward to it. I just hope that they really did balance the combat right.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Darkside360 said:
Will probably give it a go when the Brytenwalda mod is added to it.

Best mod ever.
You ,my good sir, need to try Prophesy of Pendor. Gives Brytenwalda a run for its money. Although both are excellent mods.
OniaPL said:
I really enjoyed the original Mount and Blade, and I wasted hours and hours of time with it (and with it's excellent mods!), but the fact that they release expansion packs for which they charge the price of a brand new game is really... criminal, in my opinion.
Yeah but full price for a mount and blade game is 20$, hardly a hefty sum, and Steam has sales on the games every few months so you can usually get it for 10.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I prefer to play M&B Warband with Mods that have guns, new troops and a bigger map !

i suggest:
- 1257 AD
- Prophecy of Pendor
- The Hundred Years War

and i think most of them have "Diplomacy" and "Conquest" mini mods

The Horse

Mar 19, 2010
gostlyfantom said:
I cannot fucking wait, a day one purchase for sure... and did I see kicking in there?
You can already kick in Warband.
Honestly, anyone who frequents the TW forums knows that this has been coming out for a long time; and is also probably pretty cheesed about it. Adding very common place things in many mods a new game does not make. As Orcus said, those mods are great(though none of them offer gunpowder as I recall; although I wholeheartedly recommend PoP with a fervor-- it has to be one of the best _games_ I have ever played).
Addressing the issue of gundpowder balance to people who have never played a Warband mod with guns in it:
It's a different field entirely, and isn't unbalanced assuming the devs didn't screw it up(considering how old Fire and Sword is, I assume it's fairly balanced). Many of the multiplayer mods that have gunpowder in them are simply that, shoot offs with the occasional like one faction with horse archers machine gunning the slower reload rifleman. But you also get horseman running down rifleman as they reload or dodging fire and coming in to kill with a well placed Sabre blow. It's just a different kind of action-- and it's definitely not something to be paid for when community mod developers have been doing it for a long time and have been doing it well for about the same amount of time. Nothing new has been added so far as I know; nothing at all.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Commissar Sae said:
Yeah but full price for a mount and blade game is 20$, hardly a hefty sum, and Steam has sales on the games every few months so you can usually get it for 10.
I paid 20 for the original, and then they wanted 40 for Warband. They cut off all support and patching for the original. Warband added multiplayer and 1 new faction+1/8 more map. Nothing the mods couldn't do.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It's almost criminal that the Taleworld devs weren't submitted into March Mayhem, becasue this is what a truly great indie dev can do.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I'll pass. I'm not a huge fan of the gunpowder era, plus the fact that the fictitious setting of regular Mount and Blade (original and Warband) was part of the appeal. I'm not against games set in history, but M&B is one of those games which didn't need a historical basis.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'm going to sound old, but Mount and Blade's mod community was best when the game was at version .808. It was probably the first really stable version of the beta that had most of the games elements in it and it wasn't updated for a very long time, months, possibly a year. The originality of those early was amazing and has yet to be matched.

Stuff like Pirates with it's actually ship to ship combat with cannons and swinging on ropes (shame it was so buggy). Paelolithic mod with it's new map, textures and weapons that made slaughtering neanderthals so darn fun. For guns there was Liberty or Death (American revolution), Brother versus Brother (American Civil War) or Age of Descent (Crude guns and ZOMBIES!). Battle for scilily that was so innovative they hired the guy who did it, it's what first introduced fiefdoms. Then there was The Last Days, that was probably the best mod ever made, it completely changed the setting to Middle earths and implemented incredibly faithful soldiers and equipment from all the sides invovled. Fighting an actuall troll (well Olog Hai) when the scream of Nazgul is heard overhead was amazing. These are just a few of the mods that were out there, sure they were buggy and incomplete, but it felt like every week there was a fresh new idea to try out.

OniaPL said:
I paid 20 for the original, and then they wanted 40 for Warband. They cut off all support and patching for the original. Warband added multiplayer and 1 new faction+1/8 more map. Nothing the mods couldn't do.
And a diplomacy system that allows you to make yourself a king. Also overalled textures for a lot of thing that's make the game plain, not ugly.

The Warband versus original thing is a conundrum, I certainly feel Warband is obviously deserving of it's price, it's a far superior game (from someone who started playing the original around .6 up to it's current version). But it is pretty much just an updated version of the original.

But I will say that Taleworlds is prety generous with the keys you get (when go from the site directly not steam), I've installed both games on so many different computers over the years.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
This is going to be great. I'm looking forward to rolling around Poland with what I will describe as a pimp-squad of hussars.

Zhukov said:
Slycne said:
Zhukov said:
So... how do you defend yourself against gun fire?

I'm assuming that shields just don't cut it anymore.
I imagine much in the same way you were forced to tackle Rhodok Sharpshooters and their damned siege crossbows, might as well have been firearms. You either don't charge headlong into them or you let other soldiers engage them first.
Huh.

I never encountered any weapon in Warband that couldn't be stopped by a decent shield.

Then again, I never got round to picking fights with the Rhodoks.
They're like friggin' artillery batteries. A few times, I've had shields give out on my first charge against them.