Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Mountain Dew-flavored Cheetos are the ultimate in bafflingly bizarre snacking convenience.

You love your Cheetos. You love your Moutain Dew. But you're a busy person! You've got places to go and things to do! Gorf down a dozen handfuls of that tangy, puffy pseudocheese and wash it all down with a two-liter of the fizz? Who's got time for that?

But I bring good news for all you hurried snackers out there: Mountain Dew Cheetos! They're Cheetos that taste like Mountain Dew! Instead of cheese - or "cheese" - they're coated with Moutain Dew-flavored powder. I can't even imagine what Mountain Dew-flavored powder tastes like but according to one report, this particular breed of Cheeto tastes like "sweet lemon lime chips." But in Cheeto format! A Dewto! Wait, isn't a Pokemon or something?

Convenience notwithstanding, I think the obvious question here is, "Why?" The only answer I can offer is, "Oh Japan," as that's where these snack food abominations are actually on sale. I don't know whether that qualifies as good news or bad, but if you're desperate to try them for yourself there are apparently some Japanese import stores that can hook you up.

But really. Why?

Source: Brand Eating [http://www.brandeating.com/2014/01/news-frito-lay-japan-new-mountain-dew-cheetos.html]

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
About time considering it's been several radical decades in the making.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Neronium said:
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:
Chicken and waffles? xD Wow...

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'd have preferred Cheeto-flavored Mountain Dew. That way I wouldn't have to wipe my damn hands off every time I want to pick my controller back up.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Neronium said:
The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
DasDestroyer said:
Wait, isn't that a Pokemon or something?
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
Now I've got this funny mental image in my head with the Escapist editors being like "No! I can't proof read your damn news story! I have to figure out where this three goes!"

OT: Bleeeeeehhhhh. That sounds disgusting! But I'm not surprised. Both America and Japan have come up with crazy junk food flavors.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
That will save Geoff Keighley a lot of space for his next Halo promotional fotoshoot.
He just has to have a stack for those next to him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.
This is what happens when Britain isn't in charge.

*sips tea*
I'll bet you there's a tea-flavored biscuit in the UK right now.

OT: Excuse me, but someone appears to have curdled my Mt. Dew. I didn't think this was possible, but apparently it's come to pass. Can I get a refund? I've no desire for the green that goes CRUNCH, thank you.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*
If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Blunderboy said:
FalloutJack said:
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*
If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.
Well, if I wanted my Cheetos to taste of Mt. Dew, I'd dip that, but that's a waste of BOTH products and so is this.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
Why does the container look like I'm supposed to add boiling water to the line and wait three minutes? Would I get sweet, citrus udon?

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
DasDestroyer said:
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
You... meant... seppuku right?

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I remember seeing this when Hikakin did a video on it. Basically he is a fairly famous youtuber in Japan who beatboxes and reviews various items. He has an odd sense of humor, so his videos are not for everyone. Here is the video in question about the product. Also, he speaks Japanese in most of his videos, so if you are not fluent in the language, you may be a bit lost. Still fun for me to watch though.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
The article may say "Oh Japan" but this is as 90s as it gets! We did it first, Japan. Quit copying us.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
BrownGaijin said:
DasDestroyer said:

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.
Nope, I meant sudoku.

HylianBeard

Jun 20, 2013
These look absolutely disgusting. They should have a Dorito flavoured juice drink to complete the mind-bending weirdness.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Are they caffeinated? 'Cuz, frankly, far as I'm concerned, that's the only good reason to consume anything Mitten Dew flavored.

(And, no, that's not a typo. Once they condensed their name to

I think they opened up their name to alternate interpretations.)

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I'm not particularly surprised about any food that comes from Japan. They do have 15 different flavours of Kit Kat after all.

Are Cheetos the ones with the annoying "cool" cheetah mascot? I hate that thing.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Neronium said:
Cheesy garlic wasn't even innovative and it won! I would have loved to have Sriracha.

Anyways, as to the mounain dew cheetos:
I mean it doesn't add up... I can't comprehend.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
This wouldn't be the first time PepsiCo did something like this: hell, back n '08, for example, they made Mountain Dew-flavored Doritos, which of course tasted predictably bleh. This isn't so much a Japan thing as it is Pepsico preserving the attitudes of the 90s long after that decade passed.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
Although I can't speak for anyone else, isn't it rather common to have something on hand to drink when eating dry snack foods like Cheetos anyways? Just changing the flavor isn't going to suddenly quell the need for a drink too, it'll probably just make things taste really weird when I try to wash down Dew Cheetos with Dew Drinks.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
How about that, it'll be that much easier for Geoff Keighley to make his Call of Duty snacking commercials this year!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
DasDestroyer said:
BrownGaijin said:
DasDestroyer said:

Nope, I meant sudoku.
Ha! Ha! I tip my hat to you!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
synobal said:
Neronium said:
The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.
They taste like maple syrup/honey and potato chips, not a very strong flavoring but enough to be different. They were good as far as potato chips go though.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Neronium said:
Just for the record, the cheesy garlic bread is actually quite good and isn't that different from adding a little garlic salt to the cheese flavoured ones.

Still, citrus flavoured cheese puffs? I think this says Japan might need to consider some more taste testing before approving this stuff.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Living in Japan.....yeah, this does not surprise me in the least. The weird and crappy flavors they have in otherwise normal products are just astounding. While writing this I just got done eating some Honey-butter flavoured potato chips and I can remember having smoked-bacon flavoured ones awhile ago. But the ones that are the worst are the flavours that SHOULD be the same in Japan as in America, but they taste like crap. Strawberry Oreos and Nacho Doritos, I'm looking at you......

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I've had Mountain Dew, but I don't recall it actually having a taste other than glucose. Do these Cheetos just taste like sugar?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DasDestroyer said:
I can't tell how intentional the irony here is, but I'll assume it was deliberate because I think it's funnier that way.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
*Shudders* What do you bet microsoft buys all of them to give to their XBL subscribers?

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Neronium said:
Hey! the garlic bread flavor is tasty. That said, point made.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Neronium said:
I really miss thsoe sriracha ones...

But seriously- Why does this exist? I saw Dr. pepper candy like 10 years ago, and that I can kind of grasp my head around, but why this?

Luminous Chroma

Mar 10, 2010
Neronium said:
Actually, only the Chicken & Waffles ones were bad. The other two were quite tasty.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
I'd have preferred Cheeto-flavored Mountain Dew. That way I wouldn't have to wipe my damn hands off every time I want to pick my controller back up.
This guy gets it!

Although I did throw up a little in my mouth while reading it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Luminous Chroma said:
Actually, only the Chicken & Waffles ones were bad. The other two were quite tasty.
I know, I was just making the point though that the United States has had it's weird combinations of food though, which is why I was saying that this isn't really an "Oh Japan" moment, but instead is an "Okay...why?" one. Sadly I should have elaborated more on my initial post, also that was the best quality one that I could find without me having to put more effort into finding a Chicken and Waffles bag of Lays. XD

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
I guess I would at least try them once, just to taste. I wonder if this will spark some heated battle with a similar Coke product, like Coke-Doritos or something.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
DasDestroyer said:

JenSeven said:
That will save Geoff Keighley a lot of space for his next Halo promotional fotoshoot.
He just has to have a stack for those next to him.
mitchell271 said:
How about that, it'll be that much easier for Geoff Keighley to make his Call of Duty snacking commercials this year!
I was thinking something along those lines myself.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Holy shit, that sounds really nasty. Cheese can go with many things, but combining it with a disgusting soda does not fly. It's just as bad as combining doritos with taco bell.

gLoveofLove

Oct 24, 2011
Omg that's funny. I am living in Japan and discovered these at a 7/11 about a week ago. Needless to say, I had to buy them. They actually weren't horrible. I wouldn't buy them again for their taste- maybe out of novelty and the fact that i barely touched my first packet. But they did seriously taste like mountain dew. it was a fun purchase, but not a delicious one

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Meh, I'm disappointed. I was hoping it'd be Mountain Dew-flavored Doritos :p

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wait... uhm... wait... I don't have anything. I just don't. I wanted to say something witty, but the thought of cheetos and Mountain Dew combining without an accidental spill happening just... stops my brain from functioning.
It... can't work, can it?
Japan, why are you so strange sometimes? I mean I thank you for giving us the NES when games were pretty much about to go the way of the dodo, but you also give us stuff like this... and panties dispensed by vending machine... then you also give us beer vending machines (which I am still waiting on USA... COME ON we can't be that behind...).
But. I. Can't. Get. This.
I think this is an evil plan from some Japanese super-villain...

Andrew Hendry

May 27, 2010
JaredXE said:
Living in Japan.....yeah, this does not surprise me in the least. The weird and crappy flavors they have in otherwise normal products are just astounding. While writing this I just got done eating some Honey-butter flavoured potato chips and I can remember having smoked-bacon flavoured ones awhile ago. But the ones that are the worst are the flavours that SHOULD be the same in Japan as in America, but they taste like crap. Strawberry Oreos and Nacho Doritos, I'm looking at you......
Smoked bacon, or "Smokey Bacon" is quite popular in the UK and has been for years.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/DSC04323v.jpg

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
doritos has been dethroned!
http://images.gamers.fr/jeux/diversasskicker2/doritogate.jpg
long live the cheetos!

-------------
seriously, how can you do this?

mountain dew aint that great and cheetos is a bit too strong in its flavor. some flavors more and you have something that smells like but and tastes like sewage water with huge ammounts of sugar.

A'tuin

May 6, 2013
Callate said:
Are they caffeinated? 'Cuz, frankly, far as I'm concerned, that's the only good reason to consume anything Mitten Dew flavored.

(And, no, that's not a typo. Once they condensed their name to

I think they opened up their name to alternate interpretations.)
I thought it was Mutton Dew.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
Vyress said:
Neronium said:
Chicken and waffles? xD Wow...
The chicken and waffles are actually really good imo

OT: well I guess now COD and Battlefield will be able to consolidate the number of checks they get, if they somehow combine it with AXE then they only have one check to cash

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
2008 called, it wants its flavouring back.

If Dew flavour Doritos were weird back then I daren't imagine what the Cheeto equivalent now would be like.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Well considering that the stereotypical gamer's diet consists soley of Mountain Dew and Cheetos I don't understand why everyone is so confused.

Yes, I do know someone who fits the stereotype, so I think I'll go show this to him and watch his brain explode ^.^