Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

Mountain Dew-flavored Cheetos are the ultimate in bafflingly bizarre snacking convenience.

You love your Cheetos. You love your Moutain Dew. But you're a busy person! You've got places to go and things to do! Gorf down a dozen handfuls of that tangy, puffy pseudocheese and wash it all down with a two-liter of the fizz? Who's got time for that?

But I bring good news for all you hurried snackers out there: Mountain Dew Cheetos! They're Cheetos that taste like Mountain Dew! Instead of cheese - or "cheese" - they're coated with Moutain Dew-flavored powder. I can't even imagine what Mountain Dew-flavored powder tastes like but according to one report, this particular breed of Cheeto tastes like "sweet lemon lime chips." But in Cheeto format! A Dewto! Wait, isn't a Pokemon or something?

Convenience notwithstanding, I think the obvious question here is, "Why?" The only answer I can offer is, "Oh Japan," as that's where these snack food abominations are actually on sale. I don't know whether that qualifies as good news or bad, but if you're desperate to try them for yourself there are apparently some Japanese import stores that can hook you up.

But really. Why?

Source: Brand Eating [http://www.brandeating.com/2014/01/news-frito-lay-japan-new-mountain-dew-cheetos.html]

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
About time considering it's been several radical decades in the making.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Neronium said:
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:
Chicken and waffles? xD Wow...

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'd have preferred Cheeto-flavored Mountain Dew. That way I wouldn't have to wipe my damn hands off every time I want to pick my controller back up.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Neronium said:
The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
DasDestroyer said:
Wait, isn't that a Pokemon or something?
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
Now I've got this funny mental image in my head with the Escapist editors being like "No! I can't proof read your damn news story! I have to figure out where this three goes!"

OT: Bleeeeeehhhhh. That sounds disgusting! But I'm not surprised. Both America and Japan have come up with crazy junk food flavors.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
That will save Geoff Keighley a lot of space for his next Halo promotional fotoshoot.
He just has to have a stack for those next to him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.
This is what happens when Britain isn't in charge.

*sips tea*
I'll bet you there's a tea-flavored biscuit in the UK right now.

OT: Excuse me, but someone appears to have curdled my Mt. Dew. I didn't think this was possible, but apparently it's come to pass. Can I get a refund? I've no desire for the green that goes CRUNCH, thank you.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*
If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Blunderboy said:
FalloutJack said:
Blunderboy said:
Oh bloody hell.

*sips tea*
If I want my biscuits to taste of tea then I shall dip them. I'm civilised, not French.
Well, if I wanted my Cheetos to taste of Mt. Dew, I'd dip that, but that's a waste of BOTH products and so is this.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
Why does the container look like I'm supposed to add boiling water to the line and wait three minutes? Would I get sweet, citrus udon?

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
DasDestroyer said:
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
You... meant... seppuku right?

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
I remember seeing this when Hikakin did a video on it. Basically he is a fairly famous youtuber in Japan who beatboxes and reviews various items. He has an odd sense of humor, so his videos are not for everyone. Here is the video in question about the product. Also, he speaks Japanese in most of his videos, so if you are not fluent in the language, you may be a bit lost. Still fun for me to watch though.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
The article may say "Oh Japan" but this is as 90s as it gets! We did it first, Japan. Quit copying us.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
BrownGaijin said:
DasDestroyer said:
You... meant... seppuku right?

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.
Nope, I meant sudoku.