Mountain Dew Cheetos: The Next Big Snacking Sensation

HylianBeard

Jun 20, 2013
These look absolutely disgusting. They should have a Dorito flavoured juice drink to complete the mind-bending weirdness.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Are they caffeinated? 'Cuz, frankly, far as I'm concerned, that's the only good reason to consume anything Mitten Dew flavored.

(And, no, that's not a typo. Once they condensed their name to

I think they opened up their name to alternate interpretations.)

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I'm not particularly surprised about any food that comes from Japan. They do have 15 different flavours of Kit Kat after all.

Are Cheetos the ones with the annoying "cool" cheetah mascot? I hate that thing.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Neronium said:
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:
Cheesy garlic wasn't even innovative and it won! I would have loved to have Sriracha.

Anyways, as to the mounain dew cheetos:
I mean it doesn't add up... I can't comprehend.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
This wouldn't be the first time PepsiCo did something like this: hell, back n '08, for example, they made Mountain Dew-flavored Doritos, which of course tasted predictably bleh. This isn't so much a Japan thing as it is Pepsico preserving the attitudes of the 90s long after that decade passed.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
Although I can't speak for anyone else, isn't it rather common to have something on hand to drink when eating dry snack foods like Cheetos anyways? Just changing the flavor isn't going to suddenly quell the need for a drink too, it'll probably just make things taste really weird when I try to wash down Dew Cheetos with Dew Drinks.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
How about that, it'll be that much easier for Geoff Keighley to make his Call of Duty snacking commercials this year!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
DasDestroyer said:
BrownGaijin said:
DasDestroyer said:
Wait, isn't that a Pokemon or something?
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
You... meant... seppuku right?

OT: Oh Japan, this is why you don't have any friends. Well that plus the Xenophobia that seems to be running rampant, but hey, one problem at a time.
Nope, I meant sudoku.
Ha! Ha! I tip my hat to you!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
synobal said:
Neronium said:
Sadly I don't think this is an "Oh Japan" moment as much as an, "Okay..." moment. At this point I don't question anything when it comes to food Mr. Chalk. Remember the United States has been graced with these gems:
The Siracha and Garlic bread don't seem to terrible. I'd try the chicken and waffle ones as well but mainly out of curiosity.
They taste like maple syrup/honey and potato chips, not a very strong flavoring but enough to be different. They were good as far as potato chips go though.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Neronium said:
Just for the record, the cheesy garlic bread is actually quite good and isn't that different from adding a little garlic salt to the cheese flavoured ones.

Still, citrus flavoured cheese puffs? I think this says Japan might need to consider some more taste testing before approving this stuff.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Living in Japan.....yeah, this does not surprise me in the least. The weird and crappy flavors they have in otherwise normal products are just astounding. While writing this I just got done eating some Honey-butter flavoured potato chips and I can remember having smoked-bacon flavoured ones awhile ago. But the ones that are the worst are the flavours that SHOULD be the same in Japan as in America, but they taste like crap. Strawberry Oreos and Nacho Doritos, I'm looking at you......

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been a few years since I've had Mountain Dew, but I don't recall it actually having a taste other than glucose. Do these Cheetos just taste like sugar?

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DasDestroyer said:
Wait, isn't that a Pokemon or something?
Fixed it for you. Seriously, did the Escapist's editors commit sudoku or something?
I can't tell how intentional the irony here is, but I'll assume it was deliberate because I think it's funnier that way.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
*Shudders* What do you bet microsoft buys all of them to give to their XBL subscribers?

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Neronium said:
Hey! the garlic bread flavor is tasty. That said, point made.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Neronium said:
I really miss thsoe sriracha ones...

But seriously- Why does this exist? I saw Dr. pepper candy like 10 years ago, and that I can kind of grasp my head around, but why this?

Luminous Chroma

Mar 10, 2010
Neronium said:
Actually, only the Chicken & Waffles ones were bad. The other two were quite tasty.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
I'd have preferred Cheeto-flavored Mountain Dew. That way I wouldn't have to wipe my damn hands off every time I want to pick my controller back up.
This guy gets it!

Although I did throw up a little in my mouth while reading it.