Movie Defense Force: Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Triaed said:
Ooh, do Twilight!
From my understanding, the point of these videos is to take movies that are seen as being awful and show how they're actually good, or at least decent.

That can't be done with utter crap featuring vampires that sparkle like pixies.

OT: I've seen a couple other people say it, so I'll say it too. Personally I thought Book of Shadows was better than the first one. The only part of the first one that I found creepy at all was literally the last 3 minutes when they're in the house, the camera goes down stairs, one of them is just standing in the corner with his back to the room, shaking, and as soon as you see that there's a scream, a thud, and the camera gets dropped.

I liked BoS better because they didn't try the whole "Oooooooo this actually happened and we found the tapes!" BS. They said "We know this is just another "scary" movie and so this time we're going to make it like one." That is, they actually made a MOVIE this time rather than giving three jackasses a couple cameras and sent them out in the woods so people could throw stuff at their tents while they slept. This was an actual movie with an actual production, and personally I found parts of it to be creepier than anything in the first one. All in all, while I acknowledge it's not a fan-frickin'-tastic movie, I've never really understood the hate that this movie gets.

PS: I always thought the goth chick in this movie was hot. :3

Captcha: "Which one does not belong?" Only choice possible: "emo kid". o.o

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
jim, ditch the intro... it seems uninspired and phoned in by whoever 'composed' it

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
I thought Book of Shadows was better then the original to be honest. It really wasn't that bad when I saw it and I watch a lot of horror movies.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
GaltarDude1138 said:
Are you sure it was reviewed too too harshly?

I don't think so...
Wasn't Doug walker who also said that the amazing spider man was good?

Actually, I don't mind NC but I think his review of Book of Shadows further emphasizes Jim's point. He was harsh on it, and in all honesty I didn't think the movie was that bad. Not everyone on the internet is going to have the same opinions.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Even if it was said, I'll say it again; if not, then let me start- do the Room

OT, pretty good episode all around, it's nice to see new shows pop up here.

Broz

Nov 30, 2010
Sorry, all I got was goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl, goth girl....and so on.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
I didn't like the original Blair Witch project the first time round, I attempted to watch it again a few times but I just can't stand it. If this movie is not really related it might be okay or at least less annoying than it's namesake.
So I might give it a try, although that's mainly because when bored I'll watch pretty much anything.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
Magmarock said:
GaltarDude1138 said:

I don't think so...

Actually, I don't mind NC but I think his review of Book of Shadows further emphasizes Jim's point. He was harsh on it, and in all honesty I didn't think the movie was that bad. Not everyone on the internet is going to have the same opinions.
And....what? You think that because the guy said a bad movie was good it invalidates every criticism he brings up? Yeah, because that's how criticism works...

And sorry to break that statement but no, he wasn't overly harsh. He asked very legitimate questions which, so far, haven't been answered by anyone, least of all the "it's not that bad"-faction here.
Like what's up with the nose-slime-scene at the beginning? How did Donovan's character get out of there? Why? Did we ever see it having an impact on the events? What was the point of that scene? Was he the only one admitted to...Arkham Asylum, I guess? And why do we have to know that when the movie itself just cuts after the so-called "twist ending"? What's up with the nose-slime?

Or the Goth-Chick. Why was she psychic? Was that ever brought up? Do we ever find out anything about how her abilities work, when or why? Why wasn't the "witch" in the group fascinated by an effing PSYCHIC Gothgirl? And as far as the plot is concerned, why did she have psychic powers? Basically all she did with them was to find out that the author was pregnant, where the video tapes are and that they should play the tapes backward, all of which could be easily achieved without throwing a random supernatural ability in the mix which no one seems to be particulary bothered about.

And again: What's the bloody book of shadows? It's right there in the title, it's the first thing any viewer is going to know about the movie, so why don't we ever see or even hear about it? In fact, is there any book at all in this movie? The closest thing we have to a book is the author's script and that gets torn up without having any impact on anything whatsoever.

These are all very legitimate questions and we haven't even touched the plot, the setting or even the bloody Blair Witch. So no, no harsh criticism at all, just utter confusion created for no bloody reason.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Headbiter said:
Magmarock said:
GaltarDude1138 said:

I don't think so...

And....what? You think that because the guy said a bad movie was good it invalidates every criticism he brings up? Yeah, because that's how criticism works...

And sorry to break that statement but no, he wasn't overly harsh. He asked very legitimate questions which, so far, haven't been answered by anyone, least of all the "it's not that bad"-faction here.
Like what's up with the nose-slime-scene at the beginning? How did Donovan's character get out of there? Why? Did we ever see it having an impact on the events? What was the point of that scene? Was he the only one admitted to...Arkham Asylum, I guess? And why do we have to know that when the movie itself just cuts after the so-called "twist ending"? What's up with the nose-slime?

Or the Goth-Chick. Why was she psychic? Was that ever brought up? Do we ever find out anything about how her abilities work, when or why? Why wasn't the "witch" in the group fascinated by an effing PSYCHIC Gothgirl? And as far as the plot is concerned, why did she have psychic powers? Basically all she did with them was to find out that the author was pregnant, where the video tapes are and that they should play the tapes backward, all of which could be easily achieved without throwing a random supernatural ability in the mix which no one seems to be particulary bothered about.

And again: What's the bloody book of shadows? It's right there in the title, it's the first thing any viewer is going to know about the movie, so why don't we ever see or even hear about it? In fact, is there any book at all in this movie? The closest thing we have to a book is the author's script and that gets torn up without having any impact on anything whatsoever.

These are all very legitimate questions and we haven't even touched the plot, the setting or even the bloody Blair Witch. So no, no harsh criticism at all, just utter confusion created for no bloody reason.
Oh good look at all this text, anyway I think you completely missed the point so I'll reword it. You shouldn't let internet film critics dictate your opinion on everything. Book of shadows was no better or worse then any other horror shlock that came out at the time, that is all.

In the mean time look up Doug Walker's review of The amazing Spider man and then lok up Movies Bob's review of the same oh wait I'll just link them to you.

Doug's review http://blip.tv/bum-reviews/doug-walker-reviews-the-amazing-spiderman-6243849

Movie bobs review http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5995-The-Amazing-Spider-Man

These two review couldn't possible be for apart, which one is more valid, I'll let you decide as for me I just don't care.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
Episode 2 of this series is IMHO a little early to be attacking straw men in the opening spiel.

'You probably haven't seen the film and probably think it's the worst film of all time'

Well, no. In fact I suspect many people's opinions of it will be pretty much what Jim thought: it's not THAT bad, and it's utterly unremarkable. That, in itself, is probably what keeps people from having fond (or any) memories of this film. And that's before you throw in the disappointment that those of us who really liked the first film felt... even forgetting that, it's just not a film that you'd recommend to anyone to watch after you'd seen it.

I hope we don't get a lot of Movie Defense Force episodes which defend average films for being not quite as bad as some fictional people might think.

P.S. Halloween 3. Now there's a sequel which doesn't have anything to do with the original that I'd recommend to people :)

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
Magmarock said:
Oh good look at all this text, anyway I think you completely missed the point so I'll reword it. You shouldn't let internet film critics dictate your opinion on everything.
I don't. As you would have noticed by actually reading "all this text" (seriously, since when are 5 paragraphs à 2-6 lines much text?) these are just obvious plotholes which serve only to confuse and are never explained. And as I said before, I myself wondered about the same things when I saw the movies. The NC-review is just a nice summary of basically everything wrong with that movie.
Book of shadows was no better or worse then any other horror shlock that came out at the time, that is all.
And that is a redeeming quality...how? I don't think pointing out that you're not alone in shit creek makes it any more endearing.

In the mean time look up Doug Walker's review of The amazing Spider man and then lok up Movies Bob's review of the same oh wait I'll just link them to you.
Erm...why? No, seriously, what significance do these reviews hold concerning Book of Shadows or any of the questions that flick brings up?

Bujiraso

Feb 12, 2011
Has anyone else noted that the theme song sounds very similar to "I want to Disappear" by Marilyn Manson?
At least I thought so

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I watched this movie shortly after it got to video, and I didn't find it bad as much as it was just really dull. Not a lot happens in it that you haven't seen elsewhere. Horror movies need to be interesting in some way, and for me this one simply wasn't. Not bad, just ...dry.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
saintdane05 said:
So, when are you going to do Indiana Jones 4?
Only point is you need to make up your own mind on things and I didn't get that impression from you, other then that I don't care :/

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Magmarock said:
saintdane05 said:
Only point is you need to make up your own mind on things and I didn't get that impression from you, other then that I don't care :/
I'm... uh... I'm confused. Could you rephrase that?

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
saintdane05 said:
Magmarock said:
saintdane05 said:
Don't worry about it.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Magmarock said:
saintdane05 said:
I think he was so invested in avoiding my questions that he even missed the right Quote-button xD

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Burn Notice is one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows. The revelation that Jeffery Donovan was in this as the protagonist was...REALLY weird.

Triaed said:
Ooh, do Twilight!
That movie IS actually bad (probably not as bad as Internet Cool People make it out to be, but it is TERRIBLE).