Movie Defense Force: Demon Knight

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
daxterx2005 said:
"that guy from Gremlins" Thats what I call him too....I can never remember his name.
That would be Dick Miller. A long-time character actor of TV shows and movies going all the way back to the 1950s. He's worked alongside Roger Corman, Joe Dante, and James Cameron. Here's a link to his profile from IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588241/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
Been trying to think of a single Billy Zane movie where he plays a character that's not a bad guy and is good to watch and yeah, UNHchabo called it with "Memphis Belle". Though anything he's bad in is automatically amazing. I give you "Dead Calm", one of the best thrillers I've ever seen. Have to wonder if "Back to the Future" would have been better or worse if he'd been playing Biff Tannen instead of Thomas F. Wilson.

As for Demon Knight, one of the first horror movies I ever saw and wondered if I'd imagined or dreamed it it's been so long since I saw it. Brilliant film.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Good to hear everyone is in agreement with this one (which everyone of course should), but it got me thinking of how much the our horror geekdom really needs some good new anthologies. We have no series, and the film choices are slim. Good news is movies like VHS2 and Trick r Treat exist, and there has got to be someone out there with the same feelings with the expertise to create a tv show. And if any of you fellow horror geeks know of any newer shows or movies that are obscure and missed the radar sound them out. Also I am aware of ABC'S of Death and obviously VHS1, just thought they were kind of garbage.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Ahhh. This one takes me back to the good old days where my small town area had more video rental stores than dental clinics. Nowadays, the only rental store left is two towns away and the Redbox vending machines are starting to outnumber the people.

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knights was definitely one of those cheesy horror movies that didn't take itself too seriously and thank Glob for that. Goofy horror movies like this are good for you. Billy Zane, referred as The Collector in the movie, is a riot from start to finish. Ratty covered William Sadler perfectly with his ties to the Tales from the Crypt series and his role in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Plus Jada Pinkett Smith, CCH Pounder, Dick Miller, and Thomas Haden Church are no slouches in this film. If you can find a copy of this movie, pick up a couple of cheesy horror movies like Brain Scan, call up the boys, and make it a "It Came from the Video Store" movie night.

But you might wanna pass on Tales from the Crypt: Bordello of Blood. Kinda fails to live up to the first one IMO.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I'm with you (and apparently the majority) on this one. Not great art, but definitely kind of fun.

Though the memory that sticks with me is the inkeeper pointing her recently amputated arm at the Collector and clarifying "That's me giving you the finger."

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
When I saw the "Tales from the Crypt" part in the beginning, I of course assumed you would be defending one of the OTHER TftC movies.

Demon Knight needs no defending. It is absolutely perfect just the way it is. Anyone who tells you differently shall be challenged to a duel of fistacuffs!

I freaking LOVED this movie as a child (I had a weird childhood for horror was my go-to babysitter :D). This movie was just like the Crypt Keeper; horrorish but played with a shit-eating grin on its face. I would argue that it's very similar to "Army of Darkness" where it is a fun movie that has no problem having fun at it's own expense.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
Callate said:
Yeah, I'm with you (and apparently the majority) on this one. Not great art, but definitely kind of fun.

Though the memory that sticks with me is the inkeeper pointing her recently amputated arm at the Collector and clarifying "That's me giving you the finger."
Yes a lot of great quotes with this one including one along the lines of: "The world becoming a living hell ain't that bad. Can't be worse than my hemorrhoids." The hilarity further fueled by the demons looking at eachother awkwardly and confused.

isbjorn

Nov 18, 2010
OMG, how have I missed this schlocky bit of fun!! I mean I work in a video store, my friends and I in high school would watch the worst horror movies all the time and tear them apart. I must remedy this gross oversight immediately!

Sadly though, I'm pretty sure we don't have this for rent at my store.... D:

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
This was a gloriously bad film made at a time when that wasn't a bad thing. Fun, schlocky, the bad guy from Die Hard 2 plays the good guy, the girl from Under Siege 2 plays a hooker, and also Billy Zane. Where can it go wrong?

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Demon Knight

And also Billy Zane.
I've been looking for a Billy Zane movie. Can anybody tell me if there is any Billy Zane in this movie?

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I'm not sure why so many posters are mentioning the Mummy movies for Billy Zane. You're not thinking of the right person. The closest he got what one of the Scorpion King sequels. BEHOLD! IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000708/

I do love Demon Knight, though. Bordello of Blood is also pretty sweet (see also: awesomely terrible).

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
I seem to remember it had a pretty decent soundtrack as well.
Was the first time most people ever heard Filter with Hey Man, Nice Shot and has the best version of Pantera's Cemetary Gates! I loved this movie back in the day. Much better than Bordello of Blood at any rate. Really need to find this on BluRay!

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Bbleds said:
Good to hear everyone is in agreement with this one (which everyone of course should), but it got me thinking of how much the our horror geekdom really needs some good new anthologies. We have no series, and the film choices are slim. Good news is movies like VHS2 and Trick r Treat exist, and there has got to be someone out there with the same feelings with the expertise to create a tv show. And if any of you fellow horror geeks know of any newer shows or movies that are obscure and missed the radar sound them out. Also I am aware of ABC'S of Death and obviously VHS1, just thought they were kind of garbage.
Try American Horror Story and Masters of Horror.
There's also Fear Itself but I haven't seen any episodes so I can't comment on the quality.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I wasn't aware this movie needed defending.

Billy Zane was great, it had a pretty good plot, decent action, good humor, and a whole bunch of topless women for no real reason whatsoever, all wrapped up in a quick and entertaining movie. This is definitely one of those films that I'll always end up watching when it's on TV.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Barbas said:
It's a shame this is the only thing I can recognize him in that isn't one of the Mummy films.
SupahGamuh said:
Teh Mummy is in this!.
Umm... are you sure you guys aren't thinking of Arnold Vosloo [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0903677/?ref_=tt_cl_t4]? I can't recall Billy Zane being a mummy in anything... although he was the motherfucking Phantom!

Apr 28, 2008
So anybody else think Billy Zane looks kind of like Jonathon Holmes in this?

Because that's all I could think and it just makes me want to watch this movie even more.

And speaking of Billy Zane, you should give Scorpion King 3 a watch Jim. It was reviewed poorly. Odd, since it's one of the best movies ever made.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Thank you. I loved, and still love that movie. I loved it on it's own, but it still is a movie to drink to.