Movie Defense Force: Double Dragon - The Warriors Wishes It Was This Good

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
I wonder if Jim lost a bet.
Maybe this whole series is the result of a lost bet?
Or maybe, after MovieBob broke on Spiderman, Jim broke while trying to defend Double Dragon.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Mangod said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Double Dragon - The Warriors Wishes It Was This Good

A tribute to the most important movie ever.

Watch Video
Jim, after calling The Warriors out like that in the title, you have to give us your opinion of it! Seriously, I'd really like to hear of one of the few people in the games industry and surrounding media whom I still respect, give their opinions on one of my favorite movies. Time after next, perchance?
Short story - I like The Warriors a lot.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I get the feeling your defence of this movie wasn't exactly sincere. Wonder were I got that idea from.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
didn't even mention Alyssa Milano's tour de force performance... way to take the high ground.

ShadowHamster

Mar 17, 2008
tehroc said:
This one was entertaining. I haven't seen this since I was a child, I thought it was so lame back then. These clips seem to be fun in a cheesy way.

Now let's see if Jim Sterling can defend the live action Fist Of The Northstar movie.
That's okay, it's easy to see how the live action Fist of the Northstar is good. Just watch the movie in Washington or Colorado and prepare to watch it accordingly.

With the right "colorado" state of mind, one will start laughing approximately 5 minutes in when Ryu kills a guy by leaving a giant fist print imbedded in his head.

Other movies this method works on?
The Phantom!(Which Jim should defend.)
and the ORIGINAL Fist of the Northstar movie...it's pretty bad.(The Manga, and original series are amazing, but the terrible OVA that attempted to squeeze the whole series into two hours is pathetic and is best left forgotten or at least mocked.)

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Elijah Newton said:
Good news, Jim! Using Double Dragon to calibrate the "Why does this need defending?" was a success. Nobody was willing to defend this and we now have a baseline from which to proceed.

TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Really? REALLY?

Ok then. I'll do it.
*sigh* Never mind, Jim. Back to the drawing board.
I know. I seem to be a born party-pooper these days, I can't even let you guys take a dump on a terrible movie without being all That One Guy about it. Sorry!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Also, do Demolition man
Whaaaat? Since when was "Demolition Man" a bad movie?!
I think that at this stage movie defence force is less about sticking up for bad movies than it is for highlighting films that get overlooked. Demolition Man is not a bad movie. But it is better written than it gets credit for. The devil is really in the details with that film. I would just like to see Jimbo take a crack at it. The same way it's cool to see Yahtzee apply his technique to games like Silent Hill 2 and Deus Ex. But I am with you Demolition Man is not a bad movie. (It's not a great film overall to be fair though, it has big faults.) But it's great moments need highlighting and Jim does that well.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Plus it has the guy from iron chef. Truly thought provoking and a film among movies.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Jim, there will be a day where the guys in white coats are gonna chase you down with large butterfly nets... And that day is fast approaching. ;P

Double Dragon is one of those movies I saw during my many trips to the then abundant video rental stores where I lived. So much cheese in this movie, it should have come with a family serving of elbow macaroni and cooking instructions. Everything from Robert Patrick's Vanilla Ice hairdo to the technicolor street gang Alyssa Milano was running is pure 90s train wreck. This would go perfectly with a bad video game movie marathon. Great job, Jim

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Who is Bimmy? THAT'S NOT EVEN A REAL NAME!

P.S. Demolition Man isn't a bad movie, but it has problems. Writing isn't really one of them, but acting and execution sure are.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Go to the 46 second mark in the following video.

and that pretty much sums it up. your arguments have previously been honest and heartfelt if not sometimes over-apologetic, but there's just nothing redeeming about this particular video.

are you out of bad movies to defend?

do Death To Smoochy.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Jim, cough twice if you're being forced to say this against your will.

Seriously, this movie was great in concept as a hong kong action knock off.Stating the premise out loud sounds good: in a world where megacorps rule by day and genetically altered street gangs rule by knight, two brothers strive to keep their half of a mystical talisman out of the hand of the owner of the other half, out to rule the world. What went wrong: a kid friendly attitude and lack of anything like a fight choreographer. Besides, any movie that can deliver a piss off line like: I consider you like a son, and like a son, I can always have another, gets a pass from me.

And it could be worse. There was that Double Dragon 5 fighting game.

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
I have only ever seen this movie with the old Podtoid commentary track, and even then, despite their best efforts, it was PAINFUL to watch. The less time I spend remembering this movie exists, the better off I'll be.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Jim, that's not really defending the movie, is it?
That is simply listing things out of context and claiming they are good.

I can do the same thing with bowel cancer.

Why not let it grow big? You will start to look like an african hunger baby, and who wouldn't want that? Maybe Madonna will even adopt you!
Everyone wants a six pack! Why not mould your growth and try to achieve a 16 pack! You'll be the envy of everyone at the gym!

Yeah, not really working is it.....

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Thank god for Jim! ...wait, wrong series.

Jim, you have opened my eyes and my mind into a new world. Never before have I seen that such a movie can touch my heart - nay, my very soul - like this one has. In a time of confusion and hopelessness, you are the prophet to enlightenment.

(diggin' the voice acting chops on display here dude, well done!)

geier

Oct 15, 2010
I know this movie and i haven't watched the episode. But Jim, i really wonder how this movie can be defended.

Edit:
Okay..... My interpretation would be even you thought this is not defendable. I concur.