Movie Defense Force: Hook

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
OK Jim, I'll confess. Before even watching the video I was about to charge in here and say "Bullshit! This doesn't need defending! It's a great movie and everybody loves it!"

... then you mentioned that it was hammered by critics when it was released and that it has a bad score on Rotten Tomatoes. That honestly took me by surprise, so I went to IMDB and found out that it has a 6.5 there. Not a bad score at all, but honestly it feels kinda low for this movie. You were obviously right in defending Hook, but for the life of me I just don't get it. It's a fun movie. It's a good movie. Why the hell would it actually need defending?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wow! This was surprising.

I remembering liking Hook when it came out but, nowadays, I barely watch it in its entirety. I'm gonna have to sit down and view it when it plays on TV again. Maybe I'll get a better perspective on it.

As for Jim's mentioning of the lavish sets, I feel that is becoming a lost art with the rise of CGI. It's the same feeling when I watch Dick Tracy (one movie Jim needs to review, imo) when it plays on one of the cable movie channels. The painted backgrounds, the vibrant colors of the sets and costumes, and so on. It's one of those films where the phrase "They don't make them like this anymore" seems fitting. I know making movies is expensive, but isn't time that filmmakers took a step back and had a setting that wasn't made in post by a computer?

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Obligatory "This needed defending?" comment. But, I mean really, Hook is too good to need defending and it's a shame that it has to be. A quick box office search leads me to believe the movie did very well despite the critics though, so Hook won out in the end.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm actually surprised that it's disliked that much because while I love that movie I know a lot of people that do as well.

The suicide scene is one of my favorite parts in the whole movie, and I loved Dustin Hoffman as Hook.

The critics saying that it's unimaginative is actually kind of funny given what the movie is about.

Sellon88

Sep 15, 2013
To me Hook was ok but the only thing I remember is the crazy lady at the start. AHHH IT'S SNOWING (SLAM). Loved that part.

Zarbear

May 4, 2012
"Let's not bother talking about the kids and Julia Roberts though." Yes thank you for that Jim. And you're right about Bob Hoskins as well, he can't not be brilliant. You've failed to mention one important thing though: music god Phil Collins is also in Hook for a minute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0onDVbVum4

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Sellon88 said:
To me Hook was ok but the only thing I remember is the crazy lady at the start. AHHH IT'S SNOWING (SLAM). Loved that part.
That was a guy, actually.

While I can see how this movie would be criticized, I still adore it, for pretty much the same reasons Jim mentioned. And come on: who didn't want to be a Lost Boy after seeing that sweet tree house?

RatherDashing89

Jan 11, 2013
Zarbear said:
"Let's not bother talking about the kids and Julia Roberts though." Yes thank you for that Jim. And you're right about Bob Hoskins as well, he can't not be brilliant. You've failed to mention one important thing though: music god Phil Collins is also in Hook for a minute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0onDVbVum4
Glenn Close was also in it. In the Boo Box, specifically.

Chris Courtney

Jul 27, 2011
This was a favourite VHS of mine in my childhood and i've not watched it since. From what I can remember of it I thought that it was probably one of those films that was great when I was a kid but it was probably going to suck now. After watching this all my memories came flooding back to me and I am definetly going to give this another bash, if only to feel young again.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Where were we?

Well I was born a year after it was released and when I first saw it roughly a decade later, I loved it and had no idea that others didn't. That I found out now. Another decade later. that's 22 years, Jim. Many of us were still too young or... well... non-existent to argue about it on the internet. Oh, and we didn't have the internet either.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think the majority of the dislike probably came from the movie taking an odd turn with Peter Pan growing up to be Robin Williams. Which I can understand.

I think the movie suffers from trying to not be the Disney movie, and having to make Peter Pan and Neverland work in live-action. It feels like the makers where trying to work around these issues, making it deviate maybe a bit too far from the source material.

But it definately has its merrit. I remember watching it quite a bit when I was younger. And I always loved the atmosphere, both of Neverland and of London.

Peter Pan no Boken blows it out of the water though.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whoa, I had no idea this was disliked until now. I loved this movie. I remember having this on VHS and watching it multiple times. I also didn't even know it was Dustin Hoffman until about three years ago (yes, I liked this movie so much I still talk about it as an adult).

Good job Jim. Good defense.