Movie Defense Force: Hook

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, I was eight as well when this came out, and I was only aware that "critic" was something you could do as a grown-up because I had seen Siskel & Ebert a once or twice on TV. However, I was aware enough at the time that one of the main reasons I was excited for this movie was because Steven Spielberg directed it, and he had also directed my favorite movie up to that point, motherfucking E.T.

Also, let's all not forget that the great Dame Maggie Smith played the small but pivotal role of Wendy Darling.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I remember liking that film but damn... I don't remember most of those scenes shown.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Wait, what? I had no idea people hated it. It was one of my favorite movies back in the day.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Adept Mechanicus said:
Whenever there was a long road trip in my youth, I always took my portable DVD player with me.
And now I really feel old, thanks for that.

OT: I'm in the group that can't believe this needed defending. I thought this was considered a classic. Apparently it was only loved by the people it was actually made for, not critics.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
I loved Hook when I was 11. I also loved Godzilla and Nintendo.

Two out of three ain't bad.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Where was I when Hook needed defending? Back when it was in theaters?.....

..... Well... I suppose I must have been shitting myself somewhere at the time.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Saidan said:
Mandatory RU-FI-O! RU-FI-O! RU-FI-O! RU-FI-OOOOOOO!
*chuckle* Glad someone said it.

"Dark and sinister man, have at thee." Which I believe was in the original stories.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
franksands said:
Hoplon said:
Where was i? In the cinema, watching it.
Hear, Hear. I also watched in the cinema. Love this movie, never saw anyone badmouthing it.
I can't recall anyone hatting it. I thought it was a good kids movie and enjoyed the soundtrack fully.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Zarbear said:
"Let's not bother talking about the kids and Julia Roberts though." Yes thank you for that Jim. And you're right about Bob Hoskins as well, he can't not be brilliant. You've failed to mention one important thing though: music god Phil Collins is also in Hook for a minute! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0onDVbVum4
I love how he just very seriously responds at the end, "Well, one does." as if he remembered flying too. :D

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I had no clue people didn't like that movie? Checked out rottentomatoes.com, what the hell?

vid87

May 17, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
Sellon88 said:
To me Hook was ok but the only thing I remember is the crazy lady at the start. AHHH IT'S SNOWING (SLAM). Loved that part.
That was a guy, actually.
I actually say that to myself everytime I suddenly see a snowstorm - never gets old.

The thing I remember most about it (besides the fantastic final fight and Boo-Box scary the crap out of me as a kid) was the liberal use of color - flowers, costumes, the elaborate pies and cakes at the feast, everything really popped in a way neon CGI will never do for me.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Hook is a great fun movie, often snubbed by semi-intellectuals trying to boast their enthralled movie critic lingo, without really grasping the nuances of movie making and storytelling. Of course, let's not talk about Julia Roberts in it; but that was just typical 90's "We need a current A-lister for any role. No matter if it's fitting"

Also may I suggest the movie defense of Toys (1992) with Robin Williams as well. Great movie. As a child I'll never forget the scene when the General, annoyed, shoots a fly with a gun. I was a little child then, and no scene has ever so clearly depicted the feeling of overwhelming frustration to me. I just got it, as a kid it spoke directly to me. That's when movie visual language started to mean something to me.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I like that movie! I'd defend this. I couldn't when it was first released because I was so young I couldn't say a damn word. But I loved what it did for the story, I love the sets, I love the casting, its all underrated and back then hated. This is one of those moments that inspires me to hold on to my immaturity, and holding on to what's fun in life.

linforcer

Sep 10, 2012
I loved the crap out of this movie. No idea it was so hated. Though yes, let's not mention Julia Roberts in this.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I didn't know that Hook was critically panned, I've always loved the movie.

Edit- And where were we?

In my defence I was one.

Charles Phipps

Oct 12, 2013
I hate Hook and everything about it. The very audience alienating premise of the puckish spirit of boyhood (amoral and unlikable as he may be) growing up to be a unlikable lawyer is annoying enough but the movie swerves from the sentimental to the despicable at the drop of a hat. Rufio's death really bothered me, marring what was an inoffensive family film until that point and Robin William's acting was....yeah. Stupid lawyer jokes didn't exactly blow me away as a wee boy either.