Movie Defense Force: Mortal Kombat

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Megacherv said:
I have to argue one point, the best video game movie ever is Postal
Is it possible there's actually an Uwe Boll movie that isn't total shite on a cracker, or are the two positives I've heard so far for Postal just a minority?

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
This is the first of the series I had a mixed feelings about, never the less the arguement is solid and all points are valid. Neat video

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
malestrithe said:
Wrong. Prince of Persia is just as faithful to its source material.
Eh. Prince of Persia had the sand knife - with only the rewind power - a nimble prince and a lippy princess. That's about it.

In the game, the sands are unleashed on the palace and the king actually is his father. In the movie, he had brothers suddenly, and he traveled far and wide, meeting Doctor Octopus and such.

I consider PoP to be about as faithful to the Sands of Time as the Jurassic Park movie was to the book; and like Jurassic Park, I think they did well to keep the general framework of the PoP concept and play to the strengths of storytelling through cinema, which differs from storytelling in a game. Resident Evil works for this reason, also.

Doctor Proctor said:
Basically, say what you will about the quality of Paul Anderson's films, but I think that he served an important role in showing that creating a movie about a video game could actually WORK when you try to stay faithful to the source material. Hopefully more people will follow his example and we'll keep getting better quality adaptations in the future.
Well, many consider the RE movies to be some of the better VG films being made, and each subsequent one is supposed to be better quality than the last (I say these things with the qualifier that I only ever saw the first, and am simply reporting what has been said to me by others). So I agree: Paul does seem to be "doing it right".

What I particularly like about the way he framed the film continuity, is having Alice as the central character across all the adventures, with other named characters in supporting roles. Credit the RE games for having different leads in different games, but they kind of overdid it, because now there's like 800 characters and they're all inter-related across the different games like a soap opera, and then all these plot contrivances have to be created to tie it all together. That wouldn't have worked on film; it kinda doesn't really work in the games, either.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I've always loved this movie! I'm glad to see that Jim also views it as the most successful movie adaptation of a video game, even if Scorpion and Sub-zero's backgrounds were kind of ignored.

Actually, I kind of liked the Silent Hill movie. Yeah, I'll fucking say it. Sure, Pyramid Head being there was kind of weird, but everything else about the movie pretty much worked for me. I didn't mind that instead of an evil, demon worshiping cult, we got Christian zealots instead. It was interesting. Not as interesting as the game, but it didn't, in my opinion, violate the spirit of the Silent Hill story.

Silent Hill: Revelations is terrible, though. It tried to make the movie series faithful to the game's mythos, and at that point, you can't take it back. Revelations is worth watching though, because it's fucking hilarious. I laughed my ass off the whole time, and it was totally worth it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
What?, Jim defending an already great (read awesome) movie?, what madness is this!?.

I guess that not even Jim can defend MK2 or that silly Street Fighter movie, although it'd be interesting if he does.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I remember seeing this movie with my grandma and her freaking out at how 'horrid' and 'sinful' this was.
XD
Still, it's a decent movie to this day.

I also like Postal.
It's probably the only UB movie that isn't crap.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
My thought on MK is that it's one of those "So bad it's good" movies. And I think Jim's right that it works because it knows it's silly and runs with it.
It's sequel, now . . . that was absolute shit.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
MK is a lot of fun.

Now defend MK2... you can't, can you? I spent money on that! Gah!!!!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
Completely agree with you jim. But this movie did not need defending. Mortal Kombat 2 however...
Great video, Jim. Mortal Kombat's one of my favorite game franchises & movies (except the 2nd one; I can't begin to guess what went wrong in that one).
JudgeGame said:
I nominate Prince of Persia as the best videogame based movie. I know a lot of people have problems with it but I can't figure out what those problems are.
That's one of my other favorite Game Movies. It was mostly an adaptation of Sands of Time, with the Prince's costume from Warrior within. My brother and I pointed out what they pulled from Assassin's Creed.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Jim, I know your schtick is to be all opinionated and shit... but here you're just speaking plain facts.
Stop making so much sense.

Also, I'm seeing the main theme tossed around in an orgy of "can't believe you didn't mention this, gawgh!!!!"
Ergo, lest we forget:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nasrin said:
I'm pretty sure the first couple CDs I bought as a kid were the Mortal Kombat soundtrack and a Mortal Kombat remixes album. I love the films, and the sequels, bad or no. Costumes are great, soundtrack rocks, and the fight scenes are interesting and well choreographed. Who cares about deep acting? They're just beating each other up anyway.
I love how the MK techno theme has been played in every single martial arts demo since that movie came out XD

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
WUT? I was under the impression the original mortal kombat movie didn't need defending!

Also, some of the metal used in the soundtrack still holds up today! I would link some examples but some company had to be an asshole about copyright claims and they're wiped out.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
If ever there was a movie that didn't need defending it's this one.

Calling it the best video game to movie adaptation ever is actually doing it a great disservice; forget about the video game connection for a few seconds and what you've got is a pretty damn good martial arts / Eastern action movie. Yeah, the Sonya / Kano fight could have been a bit better, but Cage / Scorpion and Liu Kang / Reptile are both amazing. Couple that with some honestly relatively smart changes (Raiden is, lest we forget, a god; he'd be overpowered if he did any actual fighting and thus works well when translated into more of a mentor) while retaining the critical aspects of making each character at least recognisable, mix in the awesome soundtrack, and the result is just a plain good film. No, it's not Enter The Dragon (very few films are), but it's still a perfectly decent movie that doesn't just feel like somebody was trading on a name. It honestly felt like Paul WS Anderson and the team put in some form of effort; as opposed to Uwe Boll, who doesn't care, and the Street Fighter movie, which was probably just working on a picture of the characters.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I remember seeing this in the cinema. Good times. The characters were done right. Ok some looked cheezy, but they looked like that in the game so fans can enjoy them. The moves were there from the game. Loved that scene with Goro getting punched in the balls. :)Pity other movies cant just roll with what the game is instead of making it into something else for the non fans.

Jim - Im loving these new vids from you. Keep up the good work.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I would like to point out that Scorpion, at the end of his fight with Johnny Cage, explodes. For no reason. He just fucking explodes. That is absurd, and awesome, and dumb, and retarded, and one of the greatest things ever.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
WS Anderson talked about Mortal Kombat quite a bit in his Event Horision commentary

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
IronMit said:
Mortal Kombat does not need defending. It was always great.

Mortal kombat 2 on the other hand..... can't be defended
The game was the best in the series, but in terms of movies, yeah they had more then twice the budget and it was crap.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Let us not also forget.

Before the Mortal Kombat movie:
"Johnny Cage is so lame."

After the Mortal Kombat movie:
"Johnny Cage is AWESOME!!!!"

This movie made Johnny Cage awesome. 'Nuff said.