Movie Defense Force: Rampage

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Ah, the one Uwe Boll movie that's actually quite good.

It's a brutal movie that shouldn't be enjoyable to watch, and it isn't. But the subject matter and the way it's portrayed is so well done that it makes for a good movie.

Hunter Creed

Jun 27, 2012
Ariseishirou said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I wouldn't call this American violence, I'd call it violence.
But everyone's speaking in an American accent.

Hollywood thin? Really? I must live in Hollywood then.
Where do you live, then? CDC stats list the average BMI of every single state but Utah as overweight, and Utah is under by a sliver (http://www.insureme.com/insurance/bmi-index-state)>

You've obviously never eaten in a StarBucks during an election year.
I think it's "Starbucks" and yes, I absolutely have. And there were plenty of fat people in it. Or are you suggesting that they stuff them full of thin people on purpose during election years for the cameras? Because that proves my point, really.
If we follow the BMI, Brad Pitt and Michael Jordan are overweight. Russle Crowe and George Clooney are obese.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
MortisLegio said:
My only complaint with the film is the ending.

The whole reason for the violence was to hide a bank robbery. Seriously, that's why the character killed all those people was to steal a bunch of cash. I think it would have been better if the character had just been living out some strange psychotic fantasy.

Though I do think this is a very well done film, and definitely Uwe Boll's best film, recent events have made it very difficult to show to other people.
I disagree, I thought it became even more disturbing this way. I mean, someone that randomly kills a lot of people is insane. But someone that randomly kills a lot of people just to cover a robbery? That's just... yeah, I can't find words for it. Scary as shit though.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Desert Punk said:
barbzilla said:
(not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).
You would think that but its not.

I shit you not this story happened to me;

Three weeks ago I was having two automatic assault rifles delivered to my FFL, Federal Firearms License, dealer (Probably best not to ask why) as per federal law. Fedex couldnt contact him to come pick them up, they took a look at the invoice and saw who the person who ordered the items was, their solution? Come to my house...With two assault rifles... and hand them to me.

I was staring at the person dumb founded and asked them if they realized how many federal laws they were breaking, handed the weapons back and told them to fucking try harder to contact the dealer, as I didnt want to be implicated in any way with that kinda fuckup lol

And on the topic of the armor, that stuff WORKS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout
I wasn't trying to say armor in general doesn't work, I was saying his spot welded armor wouldn't work. During the scene with the cops shooting at him he turns around and curls up, this exposes the plates undersides causing ricochets to go inside the plates and bounce between the fabric and the metal. This is that armor's weak point, as well as the exposed plating at the neckline.

As for your weapons, that is a federal law breach and could cause them to be imprisoned for no less than 5 years for arms trafficking, all over a small mix-up. This is why I say it is hard. People misrepresent automatic weapons in america and think that every beer drinking redneck has one. That is why people are pushing so hard on the anti-gun laws is because of how mis-represented guns actually are.

Completely off topic though, I loved Desert Punk, great anime

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Everyone should watch LoadingReadyRun's interview with Dr. Boll:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/330/An-Interview-with-Uwe-Boll

Even if it doesn't raise your opinion of his movies, it may change your opinion of the man himself.
That was great - thanks for the recommendation. Graham looks crazy young, esp. compared to the broken husk we see before us these days. (joking, of course)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Ukomba said:
Recent events make this movie even more uncomfortable.
i agree, but i also think it sort of highlights and gives more depth into some of these spree killings.

they're not really random, they're thought out and heavily planned acts of violence that can happen anywere.

kind of find it funny how not a single person in small town USA was packing though. Armor or not, a .308 would have put his ass down. but eh, its a movie.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Desert Punk said:
barbzilla said:
(not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).
You would think that but its not.

I shit you not this story happened to me;

Three weeks ago I was having two automatic assault rifles delivered to my FFL, Federal Firearms License, dealer (Probably best not to ask why) as per federal law. Fedex couldnt contact him to come pick them up, they took a look at the invoice and saw who the person who ordered the items was, their solution? Come to my house...With two assault rifles... and hand them to me.

I was staring at the person dumb founded and asked them if they realized how many federal laws they were breaking, handed the weapons back and told them to fucking try harder to contact the dealer, as I didnt want to be implicated in any way with that kinda fuckup lol

And on the topic of the armor, that stuff WORKS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hollywood_shootout
to both of those points, they still knew who the guns were going to, but what ever, error on the delivery companies part.

on the second, the north hollywood shootout.
California at the time had an assault rifle ban, as did the US. so none of the cops were packing anything bigger than a 9mm. so of course that armor is going to stop it when they're able to keep cops at a distance.
Infact the swat team had to raid a gun store for AR-15s and high powered rifles to take them down. One shot himself, the other pinned some cops down and they shot his ankles out from under a car.

Insane stuff. Goes to show criminals will fucking load up regardless of laws.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
I wouldn't call this American violence, I'd call it violence.
It's only living in America that makes it easier to pull off.
Not really. And ignoring crime in the UK is actually more rampant, even when adjusting for their absolutely insane definitions of what 'assault' and 'violence' is. When everyone else is armed, its kind of a piss poor idea to be the one to cause trouble.
I actually blame cultural influences that give people an idea of zero consequences for their actions, which has helped lead to the 'popularity' of gang culture which has caused a rise and street crime. Because thats what the majority of the USAs gun murders are anyway, gang on gang related shootings.

But on the bright side overall crime and murder has been steadily decreasing over the years (oddly enough gun ownership has been growing at a similar rate...hmmm...are the two relat- YES...They are...)

Honestly if we'd actually guard our borders we could solve alot of problems. And pull off what Kennesaw Georgia did.
http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41196/
but extend it to all types of rifles including 'assault' rifles....just because that's fucking awesome, and i want one.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Trucken said:
MortisLegio said:
My only complaint with the film is the ending.

The whole reason for the violence was to hide a bank robbery. Seriously, that's why the character killed all those people was to steal a bunch of cash. I think it would have been better if the character had just been living out some strange psychotic fantasy.

Though I do think this is a very well done film, and definitely Uwe Boll's best film, recent events have made it very difficult to show to other people.
I disagree, I thought it became even more disturbing this way. I mean, someone that randomly kills a lot of people is insane. But someone that randomly kills a lot of people just to cover a robbery? That's just... yeah, I can't find words for it. Scary as shit though.
Meh, agree to disagree I guess...
I would have preferred pure insanity to any rhyme or reason to his action but that's just me.

cheetahguy

May 19, 2012
just a little complaint is that he goes on this rampage an yet it seems like no one calls 911 even though he just shot a guy in a crowded area, it doesn't matter if its in a small town because there were people seeing it, and by saying no one calls 911 I mean it how he just goes around 'everywhere' with little to no interference. That's my complaint and please don't accuse me of something like "you didn't get the message" or something like that I was just pointing one thing out.

Tygerml

Nov 16, 2008
barbzilla said:
While the movie's subject matter was good, I find the realism highly lacking. I had a very hard time with suspension of disbelief. The armor suit would have been very unreliable due to ricochets and the laughable responses from the police (not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

On the plus side (for the film, not the subject matter) the character was somewhat believable and I think that is the only thing that made this movie striking at all. The ending was fairly well thought out (except for all of the ammo casings have his fingerprints on them) so I will also give it that.

All in all it wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't great. It did the job at showing why senseless violence is so horrible, so thumbs up I guess.
As far as the armor goes, read up on the North Hollywood shootout in `93 where two guys with assault weapons and body armor took on 300 cops. Laughable response from the police.. Most of them were blown to smithereens. In a small town you don`t have hundreds of cops, you have maybe half a dozen squad cars and a small police force. Cops rely heavily on their ability to coordinate their actions to locate and surround a situation. Take out those radio dispatchers and the cops are by their lonesome. Also regarding the 911 calls, I`m sure there would be calls all piling in, there`s just no one there to take them.

Sure there was luck involved that a bullet didn't find that one ***** in the armor, but sometimes the bad guy gets lucky too.

Also I thought the shipments received were the armor plates, not the guns themselves.

I watched this after seeing Jim`s recommendation and I agree that it`s worth seeing.

barbzilla

Dec 6, 2010
Tygerml said:
barbzilla said:
While the movie's subject matter was good, I find the realism highly lacking. I had a very hard time with suspension of disbelief. The armor suit would have been very unreliable due to ricochets and the laughable responses from the police (not to mention getting firearms like that shipped to an unverified dealer without proper identification and paperwork is damn near impossible, it would have been more believable had he bought them on the street).

On the plus side (for the film, not the subject matter) the character was somewhat believable and I think that is the only thing that made this movie striking at all. The ending was fairly well thought out (except for all of the ammo casings have his fingerprints on them) so I will also give it that.

All in all it wasn't a bad movie, it wasn't great. It did the job at showing why senseless violence is so horrible, so thumbs up I guess.
As far as the armor goes, read up on the North Hollywood shootout in `93 where two guys with assault weapons and body armor took on 300 cops. Laughable response from the police.. Most of them were blown to smithereens. In a small town you don`t have hundreds of cops, you have maybe half a dozen squad cars and a small police force. Cops rely heavily on their ability to coordinate their actions to locate and surround a situation. Take out those radio dispatchers and the cops are by their lonesome. Also regarding the 911 calls, I`m sure there would be calls all piling in, there`s just no one there to take them.

Sure there was luck involved that a bullet didn't find that one ***** in the armor, but sometimes the bad guy gets lucky too.

Also I thought the shipments received were the armor plates, not the guns themselves.

I watched this after seeing Jim`s recommendation and I agree that it`s worth seeing.
I was about to point you to my previous post, but I'll reiterate. It isn't that body armor doesn't work, in fact it can work very well. It is how that body armor was designed that I have issues with. The way it was designed to look cool caused very dangerous openings for bullets to ricochet underneath a plate.

As for the shipping, it was the guns. That was part of how he set it up to look like his friend was the killer. I don't think anyone would bother tracking steel plates being shipped (other than the shipping company), but it never does specify.

barbzilla

Dec 6, 2010
piscian said:
barbzilla said:
snipped for verbosity
The movie clearly shows him making the steel plates while he is on his lunch break at the auto shop, and I am aware of it being illegal to ship any type of firearm to a non-ffl licensed person. It never shows kevlar, but I, like you, assumed it was used as the base. Unfortunately kevlar doesn't stop much without the plates in it, but we will say that it did manage to stop the bullets, he would have still had broken ribs. While the rounds won't penetrate the armor (I mean police standard issue is 9mm so it would probably stop it) the kinetic energy is still going to have to be absorbed. Unfortunately cloth doesn't do that very well, so the body ends up absorbing that energy. In the scene in question he would not have walked away uninjured period, and that is assuming that his armor does work.

I assumed it had to be either the weapons or the ammo that was shipped to his friend's place to aid in the set up as you said. Steel plates are way too common and easy to obtain for that to have been any factor in securing proof. There is also the issue of their being zero response to the police station bombing. With a bombing of that size the national guard would have been there in hours, and the state law enforcement would have been there in less than an hour.

This is all besides the point though. Like I said, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was fairly well done. Those were my only issues, and it was only an issue as far as suspension of disbelief. I think that the errors that were made were done so with the intention of effect on the story, and as such it works perfectly.

barbzilla

Dec 6, 2010
Jorias said:
Why is this fat British jerk allowed near a mic? or a computer? or Air? Calling this film "Compelling" "facinating" and even trying to argue the point that Uwe the wannabe Director, is in anyway a person who makes movies, is just laughable. I think Jim Sterling needs to do something more productive, like find out why his dad left him or something he doesn't belong on The Escapist, or the internet, time and time again iv'e had to stop midway through your video's because either; your point is moot and is ran into the ground by similar videos that do it better, or because you're soo undramatically stupid that you make me want to build a time machine so i can go shoot your parents....just shut dude...please!
I have an idea. It might be a bit drastic, but hear me out. If you don't like his work, don't watch it! Is it that hard to do? On top of that why bother making personal attacks on him, if you have an issue with the almighty Jim's work, then you need to back that up with a reasonable argument that addresses the content, not a rude personal attack ending with a cliched time travel murder.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Of all the movies you could choose to "defend" I don't understand why you would pick this one. I saw it a few years back and absolutely despised it. It's not a clever, realistic movie about the horrors of mass murder, its a celebration of it. The movie is completely glorifying the serial killer.

Maybe I could understand if he died at the end or something, but no. He lives, gets rich and posts a video on the internet explaining how awesome he is, and that only good things can come from murdering your fellow man. In fact, he's portrayed as something of a hero, the way he "opens everyones eyes to how corrupt society is."

Some of the scenes literally turned my fucking stomach, like when he mows down an innocent group of young women after showing them his face. But you only have good things to say about that, right?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Mossberg Shotty said:
Of all the movies you could choose to "defend" I don't understand why you would pick this one. I saw it a few years back and absolutely despised it. It's not a clever, realistic movie about the horrors of mass murder, its a celebration of it. The movie is completely glorifying the serial killer.

Maybe I could understand if he died at the end or something, but no. He lives, gets rich and posts a video on the internet explaining how awesome he is, and that only good things can come from murdering your fellow man. In fact, he's portrayed as something of a hero, the way he "opens everyones eyes to how corrupt society is."

Some of the scenes literally turned my fucking stomach, like when he mows down an innocent group of young women after showing them his face. But you only have good things to say about that, right?
Real life doesn't follow a three act structure. Real life doesn't play fair - good people suffer, bastards live like princes, and sometimes murderers escape.

The movie turned your stomach? Good! That's the whole point!