Movie Defense Force: Repo! The Genetic Opera

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
WTF did I just watch? The idea is interesting but unrealistic. Nope, I will never again watch anything like Rocky Horror. You people have serious issues if you enjoy watching gore/rape.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Never saw this movie. And I think I'll pass on it. Not a big fan of Opera and twisted dystopian horror Opera definitely doesn't appeal.

Aug 1, 2010
YES YES YES YES.

God damn does this movie need more exposure. Easily one of my favorite films ever.

It's so cool finding out someone else is a fan of it. Just the other day I was chatting with an old friend and he mentioned offhand "Hey, have you ever seen this movie called Repo The Genetic Opera?" to which I squeed and said how much I loved it. We then immediately sang Zydrate Anatomy together.

thisbymaster said:
WTF did I just watch? The idea is interesting but unrealistic. Nope, I will never again watch anything like Rocky Horror. You people have serious issues if you enjoy watching gore/rape.
If mainstream society doesn't think you have issues, you aren't really living.

Fappy said:
I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.
B-but, Fappy, why would you hate these glorious people?

[img/]http://www.tallahasseegrapevine.com/file/sns_uploads/546/images/Rocky%20Horror%20Audience%20Dresses%20Up.jpg[/img]

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Just finished watching it. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Chase the Morning and the one music about little glass vials were absolutely stunning, but everything else was pretty bad. Who the hell decided to not make this entirely around the graverobber?

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
This is one of those "everybody's told me that I should watch it, which is only putting me off" sort of films. One day I'll bite the bullet, though.

A word for the casting, though. The story goes that the directors rang Sarah Brightman - you know, proper legit classical crossover / musical performer in everything Andrew Lloyd Webber did - to be in the movie on a total long shot; and she said "yeah, sure, sounds like a laugh". That says most of what needs to be said about this film. Paris Hilton, Antony Stewart Head, Paul Sorvino, Sarah Brightman and others on a budget of what was surely pence? They obviously saw something worthwhile in it.

And my cousin tells me that because of Alexa Vega in this film, he will be arrested if he ever watches Spy Kids again.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I worked for years in a factory that made copies of this movie and I remember wanting to see it all this time. I like operatic movies and I'm looking forward to seeing this one eventually.

Jim, I will agree with some others here that I like to see you explore rarer movies...

ZZoMBiE13 said it better than I could... ^_^

ZZoMBiE13 said:
This was a nice change up for me. I was worried that this series was already falling into a rut. Not that the movies didn't need defending, but afraid that the defending method was already becoming stale.

I really enjoy this series Jim. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but there it is. The only criticism I'd ever have said is that for a few episodes it seemed like things were just getting bogged down in the "people say X, but X doesn't matter" routine. And routine isn't what this show should offer. It's best when it's an episode like this, where it's a celebration of thing rather than focusing solely on it's detractors.
HUZZAH!!! :)

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Did anyone ever see the other movie the Director (and about half the cast) of this movie did? The Devil's Carnival? Cause that was, while probably not as memorable, just as good, and the song "Penny for a Tale" is one of my all time favorites.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Repo needed defense ? Never heard anyone ever say it was bad, the trouble is mostly that it is a niche movie, so not well known.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
You know, on paper, this isn't really a movie I should like at all. I'm not a fan of Rocky Horror Picture Show (heresy, I know), I fucking loath Paris Hilton and anything she's attached to, and I'm not super into the ascetic this film is going for. And yet, when I watched it for the first time last year, I liked it.

Firstly, the difference between this and Rocky Horror is that I actually LIKE most of the songs in this (Night Surgeon is better than any song in Rocky Horror, bar none). The Repo Man is a truly awesome character, and if I ever get into cosplay, I'll probably do him at least once. The story is actually really good (and actually makes sense, unlike Rocky Horror).

But one of the clinchers is Paris Hilton. Basically:

Pickapok said:
Fappy said:
I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.
She plays a spoiled, wealthy heiress to a major company that has a penchant for cosmetic surgery. She was essentially playing herself. Except her face falls off. And that's hilarious.
This is exactly what I tell everyone when I talk about this movie. There's only one way to get me to admit that Paris Hilton was perfect for a role. And this was it.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Alright, I'm sold. Never heard of this movie before. But I love Anthony Steward Head (watch Man-Child or Buffy). I shall watch this film that you speak of. Love (good) musicals.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
RipVanTinkle said:
I adore this movie!

Why? Because it has Sarah "la luna" Brightman in it!

Is the movie flawed? Sure. (Not enough Sarah Brightman, gosh darn it)

But does it have a very distinct charm? Certainly :)
I loved this part.

I was fairly enjoying the movie up to this part, and this song pulled me fully into like this movie. "Seventeen" was annoying, but so are a lot of seventeen girls too, so, it worked in a weird way.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
My one problem with this movie.

HAVE YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF BUSINESS CASUAL?

Ekushia

Oct 18, 2012
GamerLuck said:
Did anyone ever see the other movie the Director (and about half the cast) of this movie did? The Devil's Carnival? Cause that was, while probably not as memorable, just as good, and the song "Penny for a Tale" is one of my all time favorites.
It's because the fanbase for Repo that I first found The Devil's Carnival. It's a great movie. Though I'll agree it's not as memorable, it's excelent non the less. I can't wait for the sequal.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
My sister told us about this movie many a time, I mentally wrote it off as b-horror shlock I wouldn't be interested in.

Then one day, she was over and I hear singing from the living room. I come out and ask what she's watching- she says Repo. I am stunned, because she never mentioned it was a musical. I watched it. I kinda liked it- I don't usually care for this kind of modern goth-ish stuff, but some of the songs were great- and the Graverobber really did need more screen time.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
This is actually a movie I REALLY want to see but I didn't learn how much I would love it until after it was off netflix so I never got the chance and unfortunately I cannot afford to purchase it.

Still though, I did see The Devil's Carnival, another movie that was made by the guys that made Repo! and it was simply glorious and I adore the music.

If I ever get the chance I'm going to watch this one though.