Movie Defense Force: Street Fighter

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
MonkeyPunch said:
I disliked Street Figher. I loved SFII at the time when I watched the movie in the cinema when it was first released. I was appalled at how it was nothing like the game.
I never even really disliked Van Damme, but I still hate(d) the movie.

I never found the fun in it either. Which I guess is my loss.

Also, I've noticed that liking Raul Julia in this movie is another of those internet memes.
If someone were to voice an opinion saying they didn't and this message board had down-vote capabilities, they'd get downvoted into oblivion. Just a thing I noticed.
I guess I will be the brave one. I did not like Raul Julia in this movie nor did I like him in The Adam's Family. I just don't enjoy watching the guy act. How ever, he had some great lines for sure.

This is really the first time I have disagreed with Jim but I was still very much entertained.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Liked it back then on VHS!
Had the full sized movie poster in my room for a long time, as I got it somehow and had nothing else to grace the walls ;)

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Movie Defense Force: Street Fighter
Just when I thought my respect for you couldn't get any bigger, this happens. This movie is a never ending guilty pleasure for me. I saw it in theaters when I was a kid and I even loved the game it spawned on the PS1/Saturn/arcade. There was something deliciously horrible about playing a game based on a movie based on a game... with sprites of live actors based on characters who were all made in Japan. It was mindless video game joy; being able to play as Raul Julia and fight my friends XD

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
There is a reason they don't make movies like this anymore - this movie is exhibit A.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'd like to see Jim's take on Batman & Robin, assuming he doesn't think it's an insult to everything Batman, of course. Seems to fit right in with the same style of "That's so 90's!" that this has. :D

Never seen Street Fighter, but I've always wondered how people could rationalize getting so angry over character portrayals in adaptations of those old fighting games. Sure, the characters occasionally have text boxes or manuals that describe their back-story and personality, but it's not like any of that was ever actually carried over into the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
daxterx2005 said:
Im surprised Jim didn't include "Of Course"
Yeah, I was waiting for that the entire time. In any case it was still a good episode :p

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Jim why must you taunt me during finals week. Now I have to resist rewatching street fighter again. Such a fun guilty pleasure. :)

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
As an arcade regular, I hated this movie. Soon as I got older and developed a taste for cheese, the film grew on me. Like mildew.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I can honestly understand both the hatred and love for this thing - I think I'm more in the disappointed camp that it could've been better. It sounds crazy, but I am convinced beyond all doubt that there could a Street Fighter movie that's not only good, but actually artistically and philosophically interesting, and I believe it stems from Ryu's relationship to Akuma.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Never seen Street Fighter, but I've always wondered how people could rationalize getting so angry over character portrayals in adaptations of those old fighting games. Sure, the characters occasionally have text boxes or manuals that describe their back-story and personality, but it's not like any of that was ever actually carried over into the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games.
Not quite. With Mortal Kombat, Kano was originally Japanese. His nationality (and designed) was recently changed to Australian in honor of the actor who played him in the first movie (I believe he passed away). Lo and behold, it worked. By jove it fucking worked.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
This is one of those "So bad it's good" movies that I can and will pop in towards the tail end of a party when everyone has had a few more beers than they should and the only people left are the friends who can't overstay their welcome.

It's dumb as a bag of hammers but still a fun movie.

With all that said I will go on record without a hint of irony or hyperbole that M. Bison's "Tuesday" line is one of the greatest villain lines of all time.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
This movie made no sense and wasn't particularly attached to the established canon (as it was, the canon was pretty bad) but it was entertaining and silly fun. I enjoyed it when I saw it a few times as a kid and when I watched it on TV recently I got a bit of retro thrill. Not too bad if you think of it as a comedy movie for kids, it almost seems like the actors realized this is what they were making.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Nooo! All I'm going to hear about for the next two weeks on Team speak will be this movie. How could you do this to me Jim? I might actually have to re-watch it :(

cannedfury

Aug 22, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Sure, the characters occasionally have text boxes or manuals that describe their back-story and personality, but it's not like any of that was ever actually carried over into the Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat games.
X-men vs Street Fighter. One background has Blanka in it, but if Charlie is fighting there, Blanka disappears. Because they referenced the movie where Charlie and Blanka are the same person. Also the movie did spawn its own SF video game and a 26 episode cartoon, so it wasn't an easy presence to ignore. But said spin-offs were also arguably hilarious in their own right.

I think the main problem with the movie was that it didn't deliver any good fights. That's all people expected from Street Fighter and the loss was a blinding annoyance. It was like paying to watch a blockbuster action sci-fi sequel and being treated to a fairly okay romantic chick flick. It could still be a decent movie where the actors have good chemistry, but if you came there for the violence and effects, waiting for somebody to throw a punch or explode will fill you with savage rage. You're walking away with nothing but thoughts on how they killed something beautiful.

The animated Street Fighter II movie has terrible writing and editing, and all the games have brain damage in place of plot. But like the first MK movie, they actually deliver on action. It makes all the difference, especially since that's where all the characters' appeals stem from. Akuma doesn't need a relevant backstory, just lots of rage and flashy moves. As crap as the Bay Transformers were (Jim's going to do those next, isn't he?), and even though they pussified Megatron's character across the installments, the robots could all fight impressively. That was all it took. If they had swapped Optimus for a C-3PO stand-in who could deliver okay jokes but no haymakers, the fans would have raged alongside the critics for a decade before they noticed any funny lines.

As for where the Street Fighter movie succeeds, it's also worth noting time has been very kind it. Capcom has been getting wackier, the original series' continuity has become lax to the point of nonsensical, and its match-ups and crossovers keep growing more absurd. Street Fighter has become impossible to take seriously and its creators mostly refuse to do so, effectively embracing the movie's camp charm. It's a lot easier to be fans of both nowadays.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
THANK YOU Jim Sterling. As a long term Street Fighter fan, someone who didn't just play SFII, but invested in the complete Zero/ Alpha series, and collected the Darkstalkers, gem fighers, and all the other Capcom fighters on the Saturn, PS1, and Dreamcast, I fucking LOVE THIS FILM.

It's not that I enjoy it in an ironic way either. It's a genuinely entertaining film. The writing is brilliant, the fight scenes are worth watching (shame they didn't add more earlier on though), the actors are having a great time in their roles, and the plot makes enough sense.

Everyone I've showed this film too has enjoyed it too. I don't understand who these people are who take this film so seriously?

Even as a long-time fan of the franchise, you can't take Street Fighter seriously. Just just can't. A videogame where people's arms stretch, they shoot fire balls from the palm of their hands, do 10 spinning kicks in the air before touching the ground, a green monster as a playable character. It's ridiculous. SF The Movie is a better film, and more entertaining, than the crummy animes of the series, because it DOESN'T take itself seriously.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
This movie was so stupid when I was a kid, and now it's just even worse, since now I know english and listening to Van Damme's "american" accent as Guile is just awful. Even thou I still love Julia's performance, just so over the top that there's nothing to complain about. And OH GAWD if it's not "Tuesday" one of the lines I still remember from my childhood.