Movie Defense Force: The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Better Than Broody Gritty Wah Wah

themilo504

May 9, 2010
You really need to do a no right answer episode with moviebob about the Spiderman movie, assuming that moviebob doesn?t kill you for liking this movie.

I also liked it, sure the story is a mess and besides the rhino the villains motivations make no sense, and the story focuses heavily on the gwenXpeter romance which we know is pointless since they make it perfectly clear that Gwen is dead meat.

But the action and acting is great, and despite it having been foreshadowed way too much I did think that Gwen?s death was pretty effective.

I still think the raimi films are better and would have rather seen Spiderman 4, also I never understood the hate Tobey Maguire gets.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Mangod said:
Holy sh****! MovieBob! Jim's throwing down the gauntlet!
I love Jim but I gotta take Bob's side on this issue, although Jim's relaxed enjoyment of the film is completely okay and it seems like these film were shooting for casual moviegoers anyway.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I enjoyed it as well. Moviebob's hyperbolic review where he literally started crying about the damn film was ridiculous. The movie wasn't a masterpiece in anyway but it was fun to watch.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
Dear lord you must be joking. I get that there are people who really like this new Spidey, but it just doesn't work.

xear0

May 4, 2011
Maybe you've already read it, Jim, but if not, you should check out Film Critic Hulk's take on the movie. Probably the smartest movie review I've ever read. http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/06/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulks-237-burning-questions-for-the-amazing-spider-man/

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
themilo504 said:
You really need to do a no right answer episode with moviebob about the Spiderman movie, assuming that moviebob doesn?t kill you for liking this movie.
For some reason, after reading that sentence, my mind just called back to that Comic-Con episode of The Cleveland Show that depicted Kevin Smith and Harry Knowles fighting over a corn dog...

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I'm on the side that sees that both Spiderman films have their pros and cons such as the Rami films having better villains (I mean come on, Dafoe as the Green Goblin, it's an automatic win) but there is one thing that the reboot does beat the original in and that is this:

Gwen Stacy is a better girlfriend than Mary Jane, there I said it. MJ is the reason why I didn't like the original trilogy, she's not a character, she's a tool to make Spiderman look good, their relationship is just bland, there's the constant breaking up and getting back together bullcrap for all three films and of course "MJ is in some kind of danger cliché". Gwen on the other hand, helps Spiderman, has a more interesting character and their relationship is more believable compared to MJ's blandness

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment except to say that while nothing about the current movie franchise appeals to me (and the previous movie actually angers me quite a bit), there is nothing at all wrong with watching people do fun, cool stuff you wish you could do, and Mr. Sterling's response is inherently defensible.

Now I need to yell at someone.

Fusioncode9 said:
MovieBob's hyperbolic review where he literally started crying about the damn film was ridiculous.
That did not happen. You are making shit up. Here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob] is a link to his review, wherein I do not believe he is speaking in hyperbole and wherein it is a provable fact that he neither cries nor references crying.

If you insist on ragging on someone's review, please rag on things the review actually says.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
I enjoyed it as well. Moviebob's hyperbolic review where he literally started crying about the damn film was ridiculous. The movie wasn't a masterpiece in anyway but it was fun to watch.
Is that the one where he said the film was so bad it killed his desire to be a critic? Because I cringed, I cringed more than I did when watching the movie, which was incredibly cringe-worthy. But good for a few chuckles.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
What? It didn't steal Jim's soul and melt off his face, Raiders-style?

Perhaps there's more to this tale than I've been led to believe...

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I liked the 1st one at the time but for the 2nd I agree with Bob. They ruined Spiderman and all his villains and the film is irredeemably awful. After sitting through all that shit, then when I saw Rhino I thought 'WTF?, I'm done with this franchise'. Hes just a tank, the fact that its shaped like a rhino is pretty much irrelevant. Hes more like an Iron Man enemy now.
The new stupid bullshit story about Peter's parents was the worst part of ASM 1 and barely even amounts to anything in 2. Dumbing everything down to just 'Oscorp is bad and responsible for everything bad that ever happens' is stupid.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
I do always find it amusing how people complain about reboots so much more nowadays when they have always existed in film, just look at how many Dracula, Frankenstein and other book's saw adaptions every few years pre internet.

Adapting the same book over and over again fine but doing it with a film WAAH!

And rebooting comic books wow big deal I do find it funny how the MCU Hulk reboot was fine but Sony doing it to Spiderman is too far.

How is it any different than when comics change creative teams all the damn time. If this many people dropped comics because of those changing there would be no super hero comics anymore.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Sorry but no, I don't agree with Jim. It was painfully obvious that the movie was not made to tell a story but rather just an obligation, just the next cog in the franchise milking machine, existing only to act as the glue for the next bunch of movies that will inevitably be churned out. Fox was terrible both as the stereotype nerd and as the completely forgettable and bland Electro. Goblin and Rhino have less than 10 minutes of screen time combined and that is a fucking crime when so much time was wasted instead on the ultimately pointless romance with Gwen. I shouldn't be stuck with Twilight or Star was prequels awkward romances in a super hero movie!