Movie Theathers to Allow TXTING?!

HenrySugar

Feb 6, 2012
I have to agree with Vic.

Inside a movie theater, even the quickest peek at your phone can be extremely distracting for neighboring viewers. It?s a topic we?ve covered time and time again on the Screen Rant Underground podcast. We?ve all been there ? when the blinding light from a switched-on cell phone suddenly erupts in the seat next to us. While most moviegoers agree that texting during a film can be distracting, at least one theater chain believes that the anti-phone use crackdown has led to the alienation of certain (read: younger) moviegoers ? and, as a result, it might be time for less-strict regulations.

As technology continues to evolve, and we become increasingly dependent on minute-to-minute connectivity with friends, family, and co-workers, it can be quite a shock to the system when we?re asked to put away our smartphones. Whether we?re at a family dinner, seated on an airplane, or stuck underground on a stalled subway train, these days, most of us get a little antsy when we?re cut-off for too long. However, does that mean that we should throw common courtesy out the window?

According to a Deadline report, Regal Entertainment CEO, Amy Miles, addressed the possibility that her theaters could, in the near future, ease-up on texting enforcement (at least during certain movies) ? in an effort to win-back younger moviegoers who might be down on seeing films in theaters:

?You?re trying to figure out if there?s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son [might].?

According to the report, Miles used the example of 21 Jump Street as a film where the theater might be less strict about phone use ? as opposed to, we assume, a film like The Artist.

IMAX executive, Greg Foster, agreed, adding:

?We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they?ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.?

Of course, any attempt to categorize which movies fit into the stricter/less-strict categories would be entirely subjective ? and could discourage non-phone-users from attending a film they might otherwise have wanted to see for fear that they?d just be surrounded by people who?d rather text than watch the film (the film everyone paid, as Foster put it, $12 to $14 to see).

Fortunately, Alamo Drafthouse CEO, Tim League, was also in attendance. League, as many movie fans will undoubtedly recall, is known for a heavy-hand when it comes to controlling the moviegoing experience in his theaters ? which has earned him plenty of angry letters over the years from disgruntled customers but, at the same time, has made him the champion of big screen purists.

?Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater [...] I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. ? It?s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.?

As the news broke, our own Screen Rant founder, Vic Holtreman, shared his thoughts on the matter today via Twitter ? laying out a pretty clear-cut approach to the issue that many movie fans will no doubt agree with:

?Whichever theater chains decide to ?allow? texting will be those that I will never visit again. Ever.?

It?s certainly a tricky balance ? since, if we?re being honest, most of us can recall a time where we skirted the no texting rule for one reason or another. However, the idea of lifting the ban on texting entirely (even if only in films targeted at ?younger? audiences) is a very slippery slope ? and it?s easy to understand why League intends to continue throwing out habitual texters in an effort to maintain that ?sacred? theater space. Ultimately, moviegoers should be able to expect a certain quality of experience when they go to the theater ? in exchange for their hard-earned money and limited time.

Empty Movie Theater Worst Movies of 2010

Theatergoing is a communal experience that, in its purist form, is made better by the other people who share in the experience. We laugh more during a comedy film, surrounded by other people who are similarly entertained, than we would alone in our apartment. We knowingly enter into this social contract when attending public screenings ? expecting that sharing in the experience with other people is worth any inconvenience we might face as a result of ignoring our phones for two hours.

Of course, like any other unspoken social ?contract,? there are plenty of people that will ignore the unspoken (and, in this case, spoken) rules of the community ? with only their own feelings and wants in mind. Most of us can look past less considerate audience members from time to time ? accepting that, like similarly chatty moviegoers, we?re all a little inconsiderate once in awhile. That said, if theaters outright lift bans on phone usage, it?s easy to imagine things getting out of hand and there?s a big difference between getting stuck next to the inconsiderate guy (or gal) once in awhile ? and having to choose what movie to watch based on whether or not the theater will be illuminated by a tiny sea of LCD screens.

That said, the whole ?target? of the conversation is kind of bizarre, and borderline condescending towards younger viewers, considering that plenty of grown adults are guilty of focusing more on their phone than any on-screen action.

-

Follow me on Twitter @benkendrick for further suggestions on theater etiquette (kidding, kind of) as well as other movie, TV, and gaming news.

Source: Deadline

http://screenrant.com/movie-texting-in-theaters-benk-167333/

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Blargh I never understood the whole texting thing at the cinemas. You're here to watch a movie with friends yet you need to text other friends while at the movies? what's the point of going in the first place then!
But I'm fine as long as they don't make any noise, people who leave their mobiles on at max ring volume are way worse than people who just text.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I can allow people looking at phones during a film if they're being quiet about it. But if someone is constantly fiddling with their phone and it's in my view i want to give them a nice bop across the bonce.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Eh, if the theater wants to make it ok that's fine by me, it is their theater so they can do whatever the want with it.

That said, I wouldn't object if most theaters were like the one in Texas where you get one warning to shut the hell up and if you continue on they'll boot you out on your ass, no refund, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Texting / Talking before the movie is no problem, hell even during the bazillion previews that happen it isn't a big deal, but once the main movie starts you should put it away and shut up. If something important is going on well, you shouldn't be in the movie theater now should you? Yeah there are emergencies but I doubt most teens are going to be texting because of that.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Was anyone ever really driven off from the movies because they couldn't text? It just seems like something that would never happen except in a few rare occasions

HenrySugar said:
I have to agree with Vic.
Also OP, you might want to add quote brackets around this article, so it doesn't look like you wrote it out, which could be seen as plagarism[footnote]Or are trying to advertise a blog, which is against forum rules[/footnote] and it would be easier to read.

Blah blah blah intro to piece
Inside a movie theater, even the quickest peek at your phone can be extremely distracting for neighboring viewers. It?s a topic we?ve covered time and time again on the Screen Rant Underground podcast. We?ve all been there ? when the blinding light from a switched-on cell phone suddenly erupts in the seat next to us. While most moviegoers agree that texting during a film can be distracting, at least one theater chain believes that the anti-phone use crackdown has led to the alienation of certain (read: younger) moviegoers ? and, as a result, it might be time for less-strict regulations.

As technology continues to evolve, and we become increasingly dependent on minute-to-minute connectivity with friends, family, and co-workers, it can be quite a shock to the system when we?re asked to put away our smartphones. Whether we?re at a family dinner, seated on an airplane, or stuck underground on a stalled subway train, these days, most of us get a little antsy when we?re cut-off for too long. However, does that mean that we should throw common courtesy out the window?

According to a Deadline report, Regal Entertainment CEO, Amy Miles, addressed the possibility that her theaters could, in the near future, ease-up on texting enforcement (at least during certain movies) ? in an effort to win-back younger moviegoers who might be down on seeing films in theaters:

?You?re trying to figure out if there?s something you can offer in the theater that I would not find appealing but my 18-year-old son [might].?

According to the report, Miles used the example of 21 Jump Street as a film where the theater might be less strict about phone use ? as opposed to, we assume, a film like The Artist.

IMAX executive, Greg Foster, agreed, adding:

?We want them to pay $12 to $14 to come into an auditorium and watch a movie. But they?ve become accustomed to controlling their own existence.?

Of course, any attempt to categorize which movies fit into the stricter/less-strict categories would be entirely subjective ? and could discourage non-phone-users from attending a film they might otherwise have wanted to see for fear that they?d just be surrounded by people who?d rather text than watch the film (the film everyone paid, as Foster put it, $12 to $14 to see).

Fortunately, Alamo Drafthouse CEO, Tim League, was also in attendance. League, as many movie fans will undoubtedly recall, is known for a heavy-hand when it comes to controlling the moviegoing experience in his theaters ? which has earned him plenty of angry letters over the years from disgruntled customers but, at the same time, has made him the champion of big screen purists.

?Over my dead body will I introduce texting into the movie theater [...] I love the idea of playing around with a new concept. But that is the scourge of our industry. ? It?s our job to understand that this is a sacred space and we have to teach manners.?

As the news broke, our own Screen Rant founder, Vic Holtreman, shared his thoughts on the matter today via Twitter ? laying out a pretty clear-cut approach to the issue that many movie fans will no doubt agree with:

?Whichever theater chains decide to ?allow? texting will be those that I will never visit again. Ever.?

It?s certainly a tricky balance ? since, if we?re being honest, most of us can recall a time where we skirted the no texting rule for one reason or another. However, the idea of lifting the ban on texting entirely (even if only in films targeted at ?younger? audiences) is a very slippery slope ? and it?s easy to understand why League intends to continue throwing out habitual texters in an effort to maintain that ?sacred? theater space. Ultimately, moviegoers should be able to expect a certain quality of experience when they go to the theater ? in exchange for their hard-earned money and limited time.

Empty Movie Theater Worst Movies of 2010

Theatergoing is a communal experience that, in its purist form, is made better by the other people who share in the experience. We laugh more during a comedy film, surrounded by other people who are similarly entertained, than we would alone in our apartment. We knowingly enter into this social contract when attending public screenings ? expecting that sharing in the experience with other people is worth any inconvenience we might face as a result of ignoring our phones for two hours.

Of course, like any other unspoken social ?contract,? there are plenty of people that will ignore the unspoken (and, in this case, spoken) rules of the community ? with only their own feelings and wants in mind. Most of us can look past less considerate audience members from time to time ? accepting that, like similarly chatty moviegoers, we?re all a little inconsiderate once in awhile. That said, if theaters outright lift bans on phone usage, it?s easy to imagine things getting out of hand and there?s a big difference between getting stuck next to the inconsiderate guy (or gal) once in awhile ? and having to choose what movie to watch based on whether or not the theater will be illuminated by a tiny sea of LCD screens.

That said, the whole ?target? of the conversation is kind of bizarre, and borderline condescending towards younger viewers, considering that plenty of grown adults are guilty of focusing more on their phone than any on-screen action.
Blah blah blah own thoughts on the topic

Source [http://screenrant.com/movie-texting-in-theaters-benk-167333/]

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
imahobbit4062 said:
Do whatever someone here said they did. Pick up their phone and throw it across the room, hopefully at a hard surface.
I was the one who did that, but honestly, I'm pretty sure the only reason I can get away with it is because I'm 6'3 and buff as hell, making me a really imposing figure. If I was any smaller I'd probably get my ass kicked as a result.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
As if cinemas aren't off-putting enough already, knowing that pretty much any film you go and see that isn't a PG will be full of squeeling teenagers who won't shut the hell up and staff won't do anything about it because theres only four of them in a teen screen cinema...

They want to let these annoying shitbags flash lights around the place (because that's exactly what'll happen, the room will be too dark to see the phone screen without a backlight)? I'll pass - I'd rather wait for it to come out on blu-ray and not have it ruined.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Quite brilliant of them, if the younger people text then they'll miss what happened in the movie therefore they'll have to go see it again.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
Keoul said:
Blargh I never understood the whole texting thing at the cinemas. You're here to watch a movie with friends yet you need to text other friends while at the movies? what's the point of going in the first place then!
But I'm fine as long as they don't make any noise, people who leave their mobiles on at max ring volume are way worse than people who just text.
Duh, I totally have to tweet my friend next to me how good the movie is.

OT: It's annoying and just rude to use your phone at all during the movie (unless your like having a heart attack, then please use the phone). People now a days just seem to be getting in the habit of being rude to others. When the lights come on after the movie you always see garbage all over the place, it's like a popcorn war zone. Also people think your crazy when you do something polite from them.
I held the door open for a lady at the movies, she looked at me like I was crazy and going to jump her or something. She backed away slowly and rushed back to her husband who was heading from the lobby to the door.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
Time for me to respond with an undoubtedly unpopular opinion:

I don't give a shit. I know for a fact that whenever I go the the theatre, people all around my are texting. I don't do it myself because I'm generally far too immersed in the movie to bother. The reason I know is because some nosey loud-mouth often sees fit to yell at them during the movie. Of course, this tends to be infinitely more disruptive and annoying than the person texting in the first place.

If I'm watching a movie and it's good, I seriously don't notice a few stray photons emanating from 2-4" screens several meters away from me in my peripheral vision, while I'm willingly and attentively staring at a screen orders of magnitude bigger. If the movie sucks I might notice... at which point I don't care anyway, because the movie sucks...

So, there are a few possibilities here:

a) People don't get nearly as immersed into movies as I do and are basically sitting there bored, more susceptible to visual distractions.
b) People are much more sensitive to light in their peripheral vision than I am. Though, given how much trouble I have with glare during night driving, I somehow doubt this.
c) People love to complain about shit that doesn't affect them at all. This could well just be some left over "common courtesy" that came from the days when everyone hated cellphones to completely unreasonable degrees. You know, when seeing someone have a conversation in person was completely fine and normal, but as soon as they were on a phone, they were somehow inconsiderate assholes?

And that's everyone's queue to yell at me :)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is what should happen to ppl who go to a theater who text during movies.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
"We are worried we are alienating a small portion of our audience by disallowing mobile phones, so we are going to alienate everybody else by allowing them!"

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
floobie said:
And that's everyone's queue to yell at me :)
It should be CUE. There, that's my yelling done. Weren't expecting that were you?

In all seriousness, I don't give a shit if it doesn't bother you, it does bother a lot of people. Should I not care about somebody getting beaten up because it doesn't affect me?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
you go to the cinema, the phone goes off. it's really annoying when you see a light suddenly appear from someone's phone. if people are going to be texting all around me, i won't be going to the cinema

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Or people could just be smart about their texting. When I was a teenager, my mom would blow up my phone all the time and I couldn't ignore her because I was at a movie. I would just hold the phone in a way that the only person who could even see me texting was the person sitting next to me, who was most likely a friend of mine that knows why I'm texting in a movie.

To text another person who isn't there in the middle of the movie, unless it's SUPER urgent, is absolutely pointless.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
I just weep for the younger generation if they cannot part from their phones for a couple of hours!