Movie Trailers: Red Dawn - Trailer

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
newwiseman said:
A Red Dawn remake with communist Chinese in place of communist Russians. The whole idea is a joke. I'm pretty sure were an invasion to ever happen the number of armed civilians in the north west alone would ruin their plans. (and yes, I need full auto for duck hunting)
Yeah no they still have gunships, armored vehicles, military training and all that jazz going for them. Would make it more costly though, that's probably true.

Anywho, this seems like one of the few actual quintessential "America: Fuck Yeah!" movies going around so I'm just shrugging it off.
The biggest joke of this is that in order to maintain a overseas Invasion force you need Naval superiority or Air superiority and last I checked the USA has the largest navy and Airforce in the world. Without naval/Air support the invasion force would wither and be easily destroyed.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Again tree hight school students will murder a whole batalion of highly trained specnaz .
the movie MIGHT be good , but the trailer doesnt show anything interesting .
BTW didnt the US learned that the cold war is over ? Why do they miss it so much that they make a fictional story about their home getting invaded ?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Red Dawn was awesome, and it looks like John Milius is on board with this updated re-iteration.

Do want... at least I'm genuinely interested how they decided to update it.

Anyone that doesn't know the original, do check it out! A young hunk of Patrick Swayze and a teenage Charlie Sheen, what's not to love?

Wolverines!

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
MagmaMan said:
Although of course the game's campaign sucked. -_- I mean yeah they came out with an AWESOME book based on the game but not many people have read it.
Yeah the Homefront book was amazing, the game just made it a huge unlimited-ammo, gun-toting mess. There was so much potential with it that they lost by making it like CoD, instead of something unique and actually overwhelming.

OT: I'll keep the original, it will probably be much better than an upgraded explosion package that films have these days.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Oh wow, uninspiring movie with predictable characters, storyline and 'splosions. Never know how this would end huh?! I think the trailer said everything I needed to know. No need to throw money at this.

EDIT:

America could NOT win a war against defending China. But Chinese are extremely nationalistic, so what the lack in equipment and combat experience, they make up in numbers. If there were a war, many MANY Chinese would sign up. But as one poster said above, transporting them TO America would be an issue.

BTW China has enough nukes to wipe out America too.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
newwiseman said:
malestrithe said:
newwiseman said:
A Red Dawn remake with communist Chinese in place of communist Russians. The whole idea is a joke. I'm pretty sure were an invasion to ever happen the number of armed civilians in the north west alone would ruin their plans. (and yes, I need full auto for duck hunting)
China's standing army is larger than the population of the United States. Unless a big city is invaded, there is not enough bullets to stop them.

Also, a nuclear bomb, no matter how good or bad it is, is still a nuclear bomb.
China's standing army is 2,285,000 (and 800,000 reserves) US population 314,134,000 (Oregon alone has 3,871,859); Your only off by 310 million people. Still a moot point China's Total Navy Ships: 972 and Merchant Marine Strength: 2,012. China couldn't mobilize half it's army overseas if it wanted too, let alone supply it. China's army is the world largest and one of the worst trained and equipped.

Exact numbers aren't available but number of civilian guns in US is about 270,000,000 (875,000 handguns) (that's about 88 guns per hundred people), making for about 3.4 million guns in Oregon alone by population trends, even if most of those are .22 it's still a very bad day.

As for bullets the the US, we produce 14 billion small rounds annually, with about 10 billion rounds of all calibers sold in the US. There are about twice as many primers sold in the US as bullets so it's safe to assume a LOT of people hand load (I know I do).

China has a single aircraft carrier so we don't need to worry about their planes; they do have about 7500 tanks but the ability to move them over seas is non existent.

I'll say it again, the premise is a stupid joke, and the US would be a very bad day for any invader.

Edit* apparently the enemy in the movie is supposed to be North Korea. I won't even call them a threat other than nuclear.
You forgot the salvage technique. In WW2, the allies airdropped several million, very cheap, single-shot .45 cal pistols into France. The purpose was that French resistance could sneak up on a German soldier, blow his brains out, take his rifle/ammo/gear. The French resistance helped to retake France using this method.

Viva la Revolution.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Darks63 said:
Cowabungaa said:
newwiseman said:
Yeah no they still have gunships, armored vehicles, military training and all that jazz going for them. Would make it more costly though, that's probably true.

Anywho, this seems like one of the few actual quintessential "America: Fuck Yeah!" movies going around so I'm just shrugging it off.
The biggest joke of this is that in order to maintain a overseas Invasion force you need Naval superiority or Air superiority and last I checked the USA has the largest navy and Airforce in the world. Without naval/Air support the invasion force would wither and be easily destroyed.
It looked like the Baddies were using a new weapon, EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) bomb probably too disable the Higher tech toys the US would have. Even though the Aircraft carrier is not destroyed, It is useless without its computer systems, doubly useless are the planes that are so heavily reliant on the computer. Originally, EMP was the byproduct of Nuclear weapons.

Play this game. Think about how many times you use a computer each day.

Every swipe of your debit/credit card
Using a modern car
Using a bank
Any hospital visit where lab work is done
Phone calls
Cell Phone calls
GPS
Communicating with friends on facebook
The truck that brings food to the store
The pumps that circulate the water
The anti-poop place (darn, brain fart) where they remove waste from the water
Any thousand other ways

I know how too counter an EMP. It is not easy or cheap.

Last thing, If the Terrorist do get their hands on a Nuke it would cost less lives if they detonated it in a city. 10 million dead is better then the 50 to 100 million dead from a large scale EMP blast. Lucky for us, the terrorist do not have a way too get the device up too 25 miles above the target. The same cannot be said for other countries, Like China (or their close ally North Korea).

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Holy shit, NO.

This is one of the most blatant money-grabbers of a remake since....well, the last remake.

At least the original Red Dawn played off of actual fears of Americans at the time (the Cold War was still in full swing). But this? Nobody's afraid of North Korea invading the US! And who on earth was scrambling for a Red Dawn remake?

This will be a train wreck that nobody will go to see. Hopefully.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I just thought it was kinda ironic that the main character and half the cast aren't even from the US. And really, you get a tattoo that says "USMC" on your arm? So you won't forget?

But Christ, it was pretty easy to gauge the Escapist's reactions on this one before it came out. Yes guys, it's a pretty fucking stupid idea for a movie. Let's keep it to that, instead of the circlejerk of how sick of America we are.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I like in the original Colorado, more of the small town, blue collar, farming/ranching, gun toting, don't tread on us type of people theme really played to the strengths.

Moving it to more suburban Washington State/Seattle is kinda iffy move.

Red Dawn never had no real good story, just another one of those 70s and 80s "What If" movies.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Marine, check.
Merican Football, check.
Communist (in this case, North Korea, not china), check.
FREEDUM, check.

I can tell this is going to be a hit with more irony than Rambo III.

I really hope they don't have a bunch of kids taking on a Special Forces units.
Special Forces units have a history of out guerilla-ing the guerillas.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
It doesn't look like a good movie, but looks like it could be a kinda fun, mindless movie at best. I'll probably see it on netflix or something. Also now imma go watch the original Red Dawn.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Team Hollywood said:
Red Dawn - Trailer

Thor helps to save the day once again.

Watch Video
Thor and The Comedian. ;)

That looks alright. Better than I was expecting.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
The same cannot be said for other countries, Like China (or their close ally North Korea).
China? yes. North Korea? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17698438 no way.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Is it just me or does it seems like the message of this movie (and to extent of the original) is that terrorism is really cool? I mean, who wouldn't want to blow up military installations of an occupying nation? Just sayin' with all the pro-America fist pumping this is sure to inspire (figurative fist pumping), it's a little ironic.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Well there is one good thing about this movie Josh Peck is in it and it's good to see that he's still getting work.

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
"Everyday we go about our lives."

This is a failure of grammar. "Everyday" is an adjective meaning commonplace. What they meant to write was the adjective-noun combination of "Every day".

Too busy being right-wing reactionaries to notice, I guess.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Seems like a Red dawn remake would look. I'm more suprised people are angry about a remake of a pro-american movie about being pro-american.