Movie Trailers: Red Dawn - Trailer

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Annnnnnnnndddd not a single trace of irony that the American military is now facing "evil" insurgents who feel exactly the same way about the invading army of foreigners who've occupied their land.

Not. A. Single. Trace.

Wriggle Wyrm

Jun 15, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
Is it just me or does it seems like the message of this movie (and to extent of the original) is that terrorism is really cool? I mean, who wouldn't want to blow up military installations of an occupying nation? Just sayin' with all the pro-America fist pumping this is sure to inspire (figurative fist pumping), it's a little ironic.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, just change local to Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan or any of the half dozen other places the US is bombing right now and you have the perfect anti-American propaganda film. I kind of wonder if the movie will slip this in, in an ironic sort of way or try to play it straight.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
trty00 said:
You know, Red Dawn worked when it was released in 1984, because Communism (or what the public ASSUMED was Communism) was still viewed as a valid threat. Fidel Castro was Lucifer-incarnate, and the Soviet Union was an "EVIL EMPIRE" (yeah, stay classy Ronnie). However, the Soviet Union has collapsed, Cuba is now torn between Communism and Capitalism, China is becoming less and less threatening, and the only legitimate Communist "threat" is North Korea, and North Korea is actually pretty ineffective at the end of the day. So... what's the point of this? I mean, sure, the original was really just paranoid jingoism, but at least it reflected a public sentiment (regardless of how wacko it was). This, on the other hand... has nothing. It has absolutely no cultural relevance and it shouldn't exist. A movie like this, one that is so "pro-'MURICA" it's sickening, has ZERO place in our modern society, and it only shows me how horrendously the original has aged.
Wolverine's my ass...
No, it was not a threat in 1984. By the time of Reagan's second term, we all can see communist Russia on its death throes. There were holdouts who wanted the Cold War to end on the battlefield, Red Dawn is proof of that, but they were few and far between.

Also, a movie like that could only be made when one side is losing the ideological battle.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Starik20X6 said:
Thor, what in the name of Yggdrasil are you doing in this movie? Shouldn't you be off hammering people in the face?
Helmsworth filmed the movie in 2009. It was mothballed in 2010. Released now because Avengers made 1.5 billion dollars.

That should tell you more about the movie than who's in it.

Aaron Foltz

Aug 6, 2012
The song is Hey man, Nice shot by Filter. The Avengers trailer also had We're in this Together by Nine Inch Nails off the Fragile album.

Some parts were shot in Michigan.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
Wow... If there was any 80's movie that seriously did not deserve to be remade, it's Red Dawn.

I mean, an unstoppable militaristic force invades a country, forcing the native inhabitants to create makeshift weapons and use guerrilla tactics to drive off the technologically superior invaders is a great underdog story, but that's exactly WHAT WE FUCKING DID TO AFGHANISTAN.

On a side note, Holy shit, it's Josh Peck!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!

while i dont honestly think this movie will break new ground i do think that the terrifying idea of America being invaded by a another nation is a very good set up.

Plus it Red Dawn. the original kicked ass and pissed off the left, im sure this one will too and i will try my damndest to enjoy this movie because god damn it, who doesnt want to see a film about some red blooded Americans kill some commies instead of some bullshit 'war in iraq was wrong insult our soldiers instead of the politicians who sent them' flick we've gotten so much of id wish we invade another country just to fucking spite them.
Not to mention i want to see how this plays out because the first RED DAWN was famous for being not only the first pg-13 movie, but also the most violent film ever made at that point with an average of 2.3 violent acts per minute.
And if its bad, so be it, the original was not at all well received by critics (oddly, just like all 3 rambo sequels) but were loved by movie goers and fans mostly that it took one of the scariest fucking things that can happen to a nation and show how much we can kick their ass back across the pacific.

and besides.....

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
That looks completely retarded. I am baffled. Why do people make movies like this in this day and age?

Wait, was that the same song that was used in The Avengers trailer?
Cause we fucking like Red Dawn and the cheesey American killing communist violence.

hell the bullshit anti-american war in iraq allegory filled movies get fucking old really fast and dont make us leave a theater feeling positive because they tend to be poorly done with unlikeable characters and attack troops instead of the politicians who send them.

and really....fucking it, i want to see some commies getting blowed up by some rough neck mountain kids from colorado. its pretty much what would happen in a real life scenario.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Donnie Restad said:
Wow... If there was any 80's movie that seriously did not deserve to be remade, it's Red Dawn.

I mean, an unstoppable militaristic force invades a country, forcing the native inhabitants to create makeshift weapons and use guerrilla tactics to drive off the technologically superior invaders is a great underdog story, but that's exactly WHAT WE FUCKING DID TO AFGHANISTAN.

accept a few key differences....the militias in Red Dawn dont blow them selves up and target civilians for piss poor reasons. and they dont go to other countries and fucking attack because they are a democracy or support the state of israel.

In fact a good chunk of the taliban and al-queda....not even residents of Afghanistan.

Also seriously, communist take over a kill people while installing an authoritarian state as opposed to us invading to kill and active enemy who blew up our builds killing 3000 innocent people and ended up giving them democracy and from what i understand, a more competent government and a police force/military that can actually fight off terrorist on its own.

BIG
FUCK
DIFFERENCE.

NinjaSocks333

Jul 13, 2012
Is no one pointing out the fact that in this version of the movie, america is being saved by an Australian? No offense against Aussies, i just found it funny.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
malestrithe said:
trty00 said:
No, it was not a threat in 1984. By the time of Reagan's second term, we all can see communist Russia on its death throes. There were holdouts who wanted the Cold War to end on the battlefield, Red Dawn is proof of that, but they were few and far between.

Also, a movie like that could only be made when one side is losing the ideological battle.
While the Soviet Union wasn't necessarily the unstoppable juggernaut at the time, the movie-goers of 1984 would probably be able to remember a time when the idea of war between the U.S. and the Soviets wasn't so far-fetched.

The problem with the remake is that sort of cultural remembrance never existed with today's audience. No one ever thinks, the North Koreans might invade (unless you're in South Korea). As the main antagonists, it seems so arbitrary, the film could have had Mongolians invade instead.

The original was more of a what if fantasy while this current one requires so much suspension of disbelief it has no connection with the audience.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
malestrithe said:
Starik20X6 said:
Thor, what in the name of Yggdrasil are you doing in this movie? Shouldn't you be off hammering people in the face?
Helmsworth filmed the movie in 2009. It was mothballed in 2010. Released now because Avengers made 1.5 billion dollars.

That should tell you more about the movie than who's in it.
Ah, well that does explain a lot.

Donnie Restad

Oct 9, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Donnie Restad said:

accept a few key differences....the militias in Red Dawn dont blow them selves up and target civilians for piss poor reasons. and they dont go to other countries and fucking attack because they are a democracy or support the state of israel.

In fact a good chunk of the taliban and al-queda....not even residents of Afghanistan.

Also seriously, communist take over a kill people while installing an authoritarian state as opposed to us invading to kill and active enemy who blew up our builds killing 3000 innocent people and ended up giving them democracy and from what i understand, a more competent government and a police force/military that can actually fight off terrorist on its own.
That's a very good point. I can accept that.

However, I still find it pretty stupid that this movie will try to paint the United States as the ragtag underdog. I'm sure you can agree we're anything but.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Donnie Restad said:
Jegsimmons said:
Donnie Restad said:

That's a very good point. I can accept that.

However, I still find it pretty stupid that this movie will try to paint the United States as the ragtag underdog. I'm sure you can agree we're anything but.
well of course, i can see the invading california somewhat ok, but even with that sort of device they had the moment they landed every person would become a sniper and we use some big ass guns.
but then again its just fiction. like the original.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
This is so outdated.

When the original Red Dawn came out the Cold War was still on and the fear of Nuclear Armageddon was VERY REAL. I remember when "The Day After" came out; a poor movie in retrospect but it shook the US public, and the Soviet government equivalent of Congress watched it as well.

BACK THEN the plot for Red Dawn was relevant. When the original played movie reviewers dubbed the parachuting soviet soldiers "the most shocking scene in movie history". Find a copy in a store and you'll see that quote on the back of the case.

This is silly.

The Chinese invading America? WHY????? They've got more troubles than you can shake a stick at and the US economy and technology are keys to their progress.

This is silly to the point of being stupid.

It reminds me of Tom Clancy's novel where he had the Japanese declare war on the USA. I don't remember which one it was, but it was after the fall of the USSR and years prior to 9/11 so he was looking for someone to serve as an enemy to the US.

Silly stupid.

EDIT: Okay...it's North Korea, not China.......North Korea.....a nation that relies on foreign aid just to feed its soldiers while its civilians starve.........North Korea is invading the USA........yeeeeeeahhhhhhh.....

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
This is horribly outdated, looks kinda fuckin stupid, and has no cultural relevance to our time at all.

To counter that I say this.

WOLVERINES!

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
"It was a new class of weapon."

Yes. They called it an "atomic bomb". EMPs are not a new thing, guys!

Also let's just examine that the North Koreans, standing in blatantly for the Chinese, are invading America. North Korea does not and will never have the capability to launch an invasion across the Pacific Ocean, then keep it supplied for more than a day or two. And the original villain, China, has no reason to invade its number one trade partner. Hell, no one has any reason to invade the United States at all! What would they be hoping to gain, our depleted natural resources? Our economy is strong, but a successful invasion would cripple it. It's like Red Alert 2 with all the tongue-in-cheek fun sucked out and replaced with jingoism.

oh god why would anyone even make such a shamelessly jingoistic movie

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
That looks completely retarded. I am baffled. Why do people make movies like this in this day and age?

Wait, was that the same song that was used in The Avengers trailer?
It's a remake.