Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Hot Take: I'm not saying Limp Bizkit is good music, but if the zoomers wanna try and tell me it's worse than what's popular now I'm gonna tell them to get the fuck off my lawn.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Another hot take: I've never seen The Godfather; I hear cannolis are involved. I don't know why; I haven't actively avoided it or anything; it's just never come up in my line of sight whilst seeking cinematic entertainment. Dozens of people have looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears when I said I've not seen it. At this point, I might NEVER watch it. I'd say on principle, but I think I just like getting a rise out of people.
Same here. Nothing against the idea of the film, just seen so many gangster films now I don't got the drive to seek any more out without severe peer pressure within an enclosed environment. Same for Citizen Kane.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Same here. Nothing against the idea of the film, just seen so many gangster films now I don't got the drive to seek any more out without severe peer pressure within an enclosed environment. Same for Citizen Kane.
Exactly. Like, I would need someone who loves the film to come to my house and specifically plan for me to watch it. Even if I incidentally caught it in on tv one day, I'm not sure I'd stop to watch it. Nothing against it, I just have no real desire to do so, and I can't explain why.

I've not seen Citizen Kane either; we might be same person. One of us might be experiencing multiple personality disorder and logging into this site under different names. We DO both have "Xs" as our first letter; the question now is which of us is the original, dominant personality. I'll say it's you; rent was due on the first, and we're out of Branston's Pickle.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hot Take: I'm not saying Limp Bizkit is good music, but if the zoomers wanna try and tell me it's worse than what's popular now I'm gonna tell them to get the fuck off my lawn.
I still think Three Dollar Bill Y'All is a good album. Significant Other is not as good, but it's still got some solid songs. Chocolate Starfish is just a lesser, more self-indulgent Significant Other. Anything after that ... meh. Haven't heard any of the new album released last week. Also, Wes Borland is honestly a too good musician for the kind of band Limp Bizkit is.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
To the posters saying they haven't seen Kane or The Godfather: are you regularly watching other films from the 40s or 70s? I think it would be peculiar if that was the case and those still went without being seen. Not so strange if you aren't exploring those eras and have no intention to.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
To the posters saying they haven't seen Kane or The Godfather: are you regularly watching other films from the 40s or 70s? I think it would be peculiar if that was the case and those still went without being seen. Not so strange if you aren't exploring those eras and have no intention to.
Ive never seen any of them. I do watch a fair amount of other films from those eras, but I've just never gotten around to watching Godfather. I tend to seek out more hidden gem type films. Ive never watched Sapranos either. I think if people talk too much about something it becomes less appealing to me because Im a giant hipster.

I still think Three Dollar Bill Y'All is a good album. Significant Other is not as good, but it's still got some solid songs. Chocolate Starfish is just a lesser, more self-indulgent Significant Other. Anything after that ... meh. Haven't heard any of the new album released last week. Also, Wes Borland is honestly a too good musician for the kind of band Limp Bizkit is.
I only like Significant Other but its hard to even call it a Limp Bizkit album because pretty much every name in the business worked on it. Its got extremely high production value and is kind of all over the place in terms of sound. Its the same as asking the question is Anti-Christ SuperStar really a Marilyn Manson Album because Trent Reznor and others did the majority of actual work on it.

Actually just noticed the main song I like on Significant Other "No Sex" was a big colab by several people.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't actively avoid older films, but neither am I a film buff who feels the need to see and weigh in on everything generally considered "good" or "classic." I watch what looks entertaining. If anything, I might unconsciously avoid films that are regarded as must-sees for the simple fact that I don't like being influenced going into something. If 99 out of 100 people say a film is great, I go in with expectations of being floored by its greatness meaning it has to meet lofty expectations, and very few films have ever met those expectations. I'd much rather spend my time watching something I've never seen or heard of and be pleasantly surprised than watching something everyone expects me to adore then walk away mildly entertained or underwhelmed.

But like I said, I'm not a film snob; my opinions and methodologies are my own and not any I expect anyone to understand or agree with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I go in with expectations of being floored by its greatness meaning it has to meet lofty expectations, and very few films have ever met those expectations. I'd much rather spend my time watching something I've never seen or heard of and be pleasantly surprised than watching something everyone expects me to adore then walk away mildly entertained or underwhelmed.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Another hot take: I've never seen The Godfather; I hear cannolis are involved. I don't know why; I haven't actively avoided it or anything; it's just never come up in my line of sight whilst seeking cinematic entertainment. Dozens of people have looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears when I said I've not seen it. At this point, I might NEVER watch it. I'd say on principle, but I think I just like getting a rise out of people.
I was the same with Harlem Shake

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Exactly. Like, I would need someone who loves the film to come to my house and specifically plan for me to watch it. Even if I incidentally caught it in on tv one day, I'm not sure I'd stop to watch it. Nothing against it, I just have no real desire to do so, and I can't explain why.

I've not seen Citizen Kane either; we might be same person. One of us might be experiencing multiple personality disorder and logging into this site under different names. We DO both have "Xs" as our first letter; the question now is which of us is the original, dominant personality. I'll say it's you; rent was due on the first, and we're out of Branston's Pickle.
Yeah, I'd watch the films if they happened to be put on and there weren't any other obligations or distractions.
X's, Y's and L's, it's all rather suss for sure. Sorry about the probable liver damage though, I'll try and make up for it with extra pickle! Not sure about the rent however, money went...ummm, elsewhere... 😬

There are many interesting films from the 70s and elsewhere in time worth checking out, I went on a Tarkovsky binge recently after coming across a set of DVD's, and Suspiria amongst other curiosities. It's more about if a film looks to have ideas and inspirations that help think fresh, new thoughts really. Stuff to muse upon and broaden horizons. Unfortunately Godfather and Kane don't appear to promise the weird and the wonderful, merely just polished peaks of ideas already plentily explored by the bountiful media their existence helped seed in following years. I suppose that's the difference between what motivates me and what what doesn't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd watch the films if they happened to be put on and there weren't any other obligations or distractions.
X's, Y's and L's, it's all rather suss for sure. Sorry about the probable liver damage though, I'll try and make up for it with extra pickle! Not sure about the rent however, money went...ummm, elsewhere... 😬
And to think I was about to apologize for the liver damage; should have guessed it was you all along! I don't have a drinking problem; HE has the drinking problem!! *points to self*

We seriously are out of Branston's Pickle, though.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
And to think I was about to apologize for the liver damage; should have guessed it was you all along! I don't have a drinking problem; HE has the drinking problem!! *points to self*

We seriously are out of Branston's Pickle, though.
Well, aight, you asked for it, so here's an awful musical number to accompany the fresh Branston! 🤌🤌 I got a liver to pickle! 🤳

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I was just reminded that Zack Snyder existed in another thread, so I feel like I need to go on my rant about his Justice League movie.

The only thing notable about ZSJL is that it exists.

The film is overly long, overindulgent, and bloated.

If ZSJL was released in place of the original theatrical cut, it would have been (rightly) slaughtered just like the original film was, and Batman vs Superman before it.

It is only "good" in comparison to the theatrical cut, which is still my preferred version of the film, because at least the trainwreck is over, sooner.

I have no idea where this sudden belief that Zack Snyder's aborted DCEU is suddenly the peak of superhero cinema has come from.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The only thing notable about ZSJL is that it exists.

The film is overly long, overindulgent, and bloated.

If ZSJL was released in place of the original theatrical cut, it would have been (rightly) slaughtered just like the original film was, and Batman vs Superman before it.

It is only "good" in comparison to the theatrical cut, which is still my preferred version of the film, because at least the trainwreck is over, sooner.
I still have no interests in seeing the ZS cut. I am sick and tired of muted color palettes, brown and grey, and just movies going on far longer their necessary. I am fan of Man of Steel, but I am glad a lot of the DCEU moved beyond what Snyder's vision. I am not a fan of many of his movies any way.

I have no idea where this sudden belief that Zack Snyder's aborted DCEU is suddenly the peak of superhero cinema has come from.
Vincdication by history, and the fact that WB/DC screwed up so much in over correcting and trying to make the DCEU like the MCU with the theatrical cut of JL. I know once the full story got out with Snyder's lost of one of his daughters, people suddenly got more sympathetic for him right then and there. Hell, Man of Steel is as not much as a love it or hate (though most audience members loved it even back in 2013) it movie after Batman V. Superman came out and both versions of JL. You still have the online critics that don't like MoS, but they either relent somewhat and understand why people like the movie. Though you still have plenty like most of former Channel Awesome critics, Doug Walker, Cinema Sins, Movie Bob, and Honest Trailers acting like arrogant asses or blind MCU fan-boys or girls.