Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So I know Sci-fi really loves the ideas of jails with electronic security but have the writers ever considered the fact that the key flaw in all of these schemes are that a power failure always means escaped prisoners? Star Trek is particularly bad about this because their brig cells always seem to be an energy shield which then goes offline anytime there's a power failure but the Prison Arc of Andor reminded me of this trope. To be fair, the prison in Andor made a bit more sense because the entire facility has a built in Hydroelectric plant so hypothetically it should never lose power....and it's also in the middle of a lake with no method to shore other then swimming after a long jump. The biggest issue with that prison was that the prisoner to guard ratio was very large(like 60 or so guards to 5000 prisoners) and the guards were incredibly complacent because of the electronic floors so when a prison break did occur, they had no idea how to handle it. The most they can seem to muster is a couple guards with blasters shooting at the prisoners(who are throwing wrenches and metal tools at them) and "We have a situation here" when calling for help. Not "We have a prison riot. Send help now!", no "We have a situation".

But you know what also works better than electronic defenses? ACTUAL TANGIBLE DOORS! Doors that work by the virtue of existing even when the power is out. Even with an electronic door lock, emergency generators should be more than adequate to keep those operational when main power inevitably goes offline(and the main power always goes offline when drama requires).
Or maybe they could use something like hydraulic locks, so even if the power went out they’d be, well, locked.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't what it was with the critics at the time, but I do not know why they keep comparing Sonic 2 (2022) to Marvel films (usually in a positive light). These movies are nothing like them and do their own thing (outside of Sonic making a Winter Soldier reference). When I last checked, an action-adventure film leading to an ancient temple with magical jewels was something not invented by Marvel, nor the MCU. That's a tale as old as time itself! I admit this version of Sonic comes off as super-lite Deadpoolish, but that was more so the first movie. Even then, only barely. Get your head out of your ass film critics. Not everything should be compared, nor make an analogy to the MCU. Let films be their own thing and stop making comparison that makes no sense. Thank you.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't what it was with the critics at the time, but I do not know why they keep comparing Sonic 2 (2022) to Marvel films (usually in a positive light). These movies are nothing like them and do their own thing (outside of Sonic making a Winter Soldier reference). When I last checked, an action-adventure film leading to an ancient temple with magical jewels was something not invented by Marvel, nor the MCU. That's a tale as old as time itself! I admit this version of Sonic comes off as super-lite Deadpoolish, but that was more so the first movie. Even then, only barely. Get your head out of your ass film critics. Not everything should be compared, nor make an analogy to the MCU. Let films be their own thing and stop making comparison that makes no sense. Thank you.
I think it's Small reference pools to some extent.

To be fair, when I first watched Guardians of the Galaxy I remember thinking "That was the Best Star Wars film in a long time" despite not actually being a Star Wars.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it's Small reference pools to some extent.

To be fair, when I first watched Guardians of the Galaxy I remember thinking "That was the Best Star Wars film in a long time" despite not actually being a Star Wars.
At least with Guardian of the Galaxy, it's a Genre Throwback to space opera films of the 70s and early 80s such as Star Wars and Flash Gordon. That actually makes sense. Sonic 2 (2022) has more common with the Sonic franchise, a Miyazaki/Ghibli film (Sega took a lot from them back in the 90s and still do now), and Uncharted (the actual games) of all things. I made a hot take back in October stating that Sonic 2 (2022) is a better Uncharted movie than the official movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Face/Off has magnetic boots with insta-locks that the holds the prisoner to a still losing their balance.

I still have never seen the original, nor its sequels.
I’ve only seen the original with Stallone and Ahnuld, and am guessing that’s for the better.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ve only seen the original with Stallone and Ahnuld, and am guessing that’s for the better.
Wait, Escape Plan is a remake? I only know the one with Stallone and Arnold. Funny story. Face/Off was originally supposed to have both as the main leads. Somewhere in a different universe, this happened, and I am somewhat sad none of us were there to witness them play each other.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Rock and Roll All Nite by KISS is only good when played live. The studio version is one of the weakest songs of theirs I’ve ever heard. But almost all the live performances? Amazing. I think the best is from Alive IV with the Symphony Orchestra but I’m sure some diehards will dispute that.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Rock and Roll All Nite by KISS is only good when played live. The studio version is one of the weakest songs of theirs I’ve ever heard. But almost all the live performances? Amazing. I think the best is from Alive IV with the Symphony Orchestra but I’m sure some diehards will dispute that.
That's nothing compared to Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me." Personally I think the studio version is kinda cute, but it is night and day.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
How many movies are "influenced by"/"ripping off" Avatar? Compared to movies ripping off, say, Star Wars or The Matrix.

Excepting lots of CGI and 3D stuff, Avatar hasn't really left us anything. Are there any quotable lines or anything?
Dialogue is not Avatar's strong suit so the only quotable thing is that term unobtainium, in mockery.
But Avatar was never pretending to be clever or about quotable dialogue.

I would ask what is the cultural impact of Back to the Future, other than it being referenced by gen-xers like me? I don't see any movies ripping it off, or even very many quotable lines even though the movie is largely comedic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would ask what is the cultural impact of Back to the Future, other than it being referenced by gen-xers like me? I don't see any movies ripping it off, or even very many quotable lines even though the movie is largely comedic.
Back to the Future does have quotable lines, but most of them comes from the first movie and some of the second movie. Also, the use of the word butthead as an insult. Other than shout outs and references, there is not much else. Even Sonic got in on the action making an 88 mph reference in the Sonic CD manual. The Hot Tub Time Machine is literally a late 2000s remake of BttF. You don't talk about the sequel.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Dialogue is not Avatar's strong suit so the only quotable thing is that term unobtainium, in mockery.

To be fair to Back to the Future, as a time travel movie your ability to homage it is rather limited. Plus I think it's endured as much because of the genuinely great chemistry between Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox as it did anything else.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fair enough, but it's not influenced following films (beyond using CGI and 3D) the way Star Wars or the Matrix has. Nobody seems to be complaining that all the films we get are trying to be Avatar, or the X scenes are ripping off the X scenes in Avatar (the way some complain that movies will have John Wick fight scenes)