Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait. When did the Predators become cyborgs?
I think The Predator might have been actually leaning that way, but that film made little sense and is best forgotten anyway.

Also, what counts as a cyborg anyway, people have been enhancing their bodies to at least small degrees for ages.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think The Predator might have been actually leaning that way, but that film made little sense and is best forgotten anyway.

Also, what counts as a cyborg anyway, people have been enhancing their bodies to at least small degrees for ages.
I’ve always felt Robocop is the benchmark for a proper cyborg. Murphy wouldn’t have survived (so to speak) without the robotic parts, and without him the robotics are inert. Together they work.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I’ve always felt Robocop is the benchmark for a proper cyborg. Murphy wouldn’t have survived (so to speak) without the robotic parts, and without him the robotics are inert. Together they work.
By that logic someone with a pacemaker is a cyborg, which I'm not sure is what you were going for.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
By that logic someone with a pacemaker is a cyborg, which I'm not sure is what you were going for.
A pacemaker is more along the lines of an augment since it’s there to support an otherwise human heart. Now if we get artificial hearts that wholly replace a human heart then we’re in cyborg territory. So technically even before the Picard season 1 finale, Captain Picard was a cyborg.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now if we get artificial hearts that wholly replace a human heart then we’re in cyborg territory.So technically even before the Picard season 1 finale, Captain Picard was a cyborg.
So Toby Wong is a cyborg too. Perfect.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever just got released on Disney plus and I gotta be honest, I just have no interest in rewatching it. Theres some great moments Id like to revisit, but so much of the film seems uncertain of what its even about. I watched that clip of the south parks guys talking about how if you ever write "and then" you are failing and so much of that movie is "and then" rather than "therefore" or "but". So much of that film leaves you questioning choice and motivation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
how if you ever write "and then" you are failing and so much of that movie is "and then" rather than "therefore" or "but".
The problem with the SP style of writing is that it's not full proof and is just a glorified "and then" when you stop and think about it. Matt and Trey have both screwed up using "therefore" and "but", and it became really noticeable during the 2016 presidential election year.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever just got released on Disney plus and I gotta be honest, I just have no interest in rewatching it. Theres some great moments Id like to revisit, but so much of the film seems uncertain of what its even about.
I disagree with you on this. You can watch whatever you want, but WF is about something, even if it's not what you wanted. Whatever that was. I'll pick up the movie on Blu-Ray because it does have value to me and many others.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The hot take itself:

My response:
I mean I have been liking the first two episodes so far, but let's not forget oh-so-many adaptations that fell hard. Resident Evil, Assassins Creed, Alone in Dark, Max Payne, BloodRayne, Hitman, Silent Hill, House of the Dead, etc

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Anyone remembers CW11/WB channel showing movies every Saturday afternoon?

Every Saturday I'd spend all morning watching 4Kids, have lunch, spend the next few hours doing whatever, then turn the tv back on around 4-5 pm to see what movies they were showing. I had no TV guide with me, so every week it was a surprise. I remember watching Great Expectations, The King and I, Ray, Stand and Deliver, El Dorado, Shrek, etc. Hell, I think they even had the LOTR trilogy for three weeks. I enjoyed watching these, because they would go into commercial breaks and let me stretch my legs or use restroom.

The downsides were the movies were cut down to fit the network schedule, almost all violence and swear words were censored (TV-14 was the highest rating I saw), and sometimes they would show pure shit like Adam Sandler's Click.

I miss those days. Totally understand why they went away, but still gave me a great experience and self-teaching of what makes a film good or bad

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone remember CW11/WB channel showing movies every Saturday afternoons?

Every Saturdays I'd spend all morning watching 4Kids, have lunch, spend the next few hours doing whatever, then turn the tv back on around 4-5 pm to see what movies they were showing. I had no TV guide with me, so every week it was a surprise. I remember watching Great Expectations, The King and I, Ray, Stand and Deliver, El Dorado, Shrek, etc. Hell, I think they even had the LOTR trilogy for three weeks.

I enjoyed watching these, because they would go into commercial breaks and let me stretch my legs or use restroom. The downsides were the movies were cut down to fit network schedule, almost all violence and swear words were censored (TV-14 was the highest rating I saw), and sometimes they would show pure shit like Adam Sandler's Click.

I miss those days. Totally understand why they went away, but still gave me a great experience and self-teaching of what makes a film good or bad
Some parts of me miss this, while most of the others don't. By the time I was 14, I would rather just get the movie or have my brother take me to buy the DVD of something I enjoyed. Now the aspects of Saturday and Sunday morning cartoons I do miss, and feel sad that this lost form no longer exists. It pretty much died with 4Kids. Then died evern further with streaming services. Good news is with box sets and streaming services with a lot of these shows, parents and kids can make their own schedules on what to watch.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Hot take : Alien 3 is not a very good movie no matter what. Not only it lacks a McTiernan-like sense of space in the labyrinth chases, but it slso make a big fuss about whether Bishop is an android or a person, which actually doesn't matter at all (and actually flip-flopped depending on the drafts). And this is without even starting on the clunky "i would prefer if Aliens had ended differently wait let me correct it quickly" premise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hot take : Alien 3 is not a very good movie no matter what. Not only it lacks a McTiernan-like sense of space in the labyrinth chases, but it slso make a big fuss about whether Bishop is an android or a person, which actually doesn't matter at all (and actually flip-flopped depending on the drafts). And this is without even starting on the clunky "i would prefer if Aliens had ended differently wait let me correct it quickly" premise.
Alien 3 was such a huge waste of potential. 3 was supposed to take place on Earth, and apparently the studio was too cheap and lazy to expand on that scope. Just play Alien vs. Predator (Capcom). It's based off the original draft when the AVP film was supposed to be released in 1994, and has better use of the Xenos are on Earth and wrecking shit in all of Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hot take: Alien 3 is criminally underrated.

Also, I'm not sure about some of your points. The film doesn't make a big fuss as to whether Michael Bishop is an android or not - sure, he himself does, but only for a few minutes, and it's beside the point.

I also don't know what you mean by the "correction" premise - Alien 3 flows on from Aliens, it's not "correcting" anything, unless you mean that Hicks and Newt are dead before the film properly starts (which is a complaint I've never understood - it seems to be based on a fundamental misunderstanding as to what the Alien universe is actually about*). If anything, more people have tried to "correct" Alien 3 than vice versa, whether it be Colonial Marines (altering Hicks's death), Blokamp's attempted Alien film, or the Alien 3 unproduced screenplay novel/graphic novel, both of which were drek. It's telling that every attempt to "correct" Alien 3 has been worse than the film itself, or in Blokamp's case, thankfully never made.

*As in, grimdark - good, decent people die horribly, life sucks, and over the course of history, it gets worse. Having Newt and Hicks die is perfectly in keeping with the type of universe this is, and certainly the type of film Alien 3 is. It's not even the only time th

Alien 3 was such a huge waste of potential. 3 was supposed to take place on Earth, and apparently the studio was too cheap I and lazy to expand on that scope. Just play Alien vs. Predator (Capcom). It's based off the original draft when the AVP film was supposed to be released in 1994, and has better use of the Xenos are on Earth and wrecking shit in all of Los Angeles.
Alien 3 taking place on Earth was one possible route, it was never the only option. There's numerous Alien 3 ideas that were pitched, including the Wooden Planet concept, and the Anchorpoint/UPP plotline that got adapted into the above-mentioned works. I also don't buy the idea that it's a question of being "too lazy," and even if it was, personally, the idea of bringing the xenomorphs to Earth is one that I completely disagree with for a variety of reasons. And yes, I know that the xenomorphs did end up reaching Earth in EU material (e.g. the Earth War Trilogy), but Alien canon is a mess outside the films, and even if it wasn't, it's academic to Alien 3 itself.

As for the afforementioned game...okay, be frank, can you honestly see that fitting in with the Alien IP, at least at that point in the timeline? You have cybernetically enhanced soldiers fighting alongside yautja against hordes of xenomorphs in broad daylight, in a setting that, apart from a few exceptions, has operated on the principle of "less is more?" Even Aliens still confines its scope to a single colony with a single platoon against a few hundred xenomorphs, with the number of xenomorphs seen simultaniously never reaching digits. Maybe the premise would have made for a better AvP movie, but as a better Alien 3? Can't see that happening.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Alien 3 taking place on Earth was one possible route, it was never the only option. There's numerous Alien 3 ideas that were pitched, including the Wooden Planet concept, and the Anchorpoint/UPP plotline that got adapted into the above-mentioned works. I also don't buy the idea that it's a question of being "too lazy," and even if it was, personally, the idea of bringing the xenomorphs to Earth is one that I completely disagree with for a variety of reasons. And yes, I know that the xenomorphs did end up reaching Earth in EU material (e.g. the Earth War Trilogy), but Alien canon is a mess outside the films, and even if it wasn't, it's academic to Alien 3 itself.
I know Alien 3 had a bunch of ideas, but the first teaser trailer for this movie stated they would be on Earth. That obviously didn't happen. My problem with 3 is that the prison setting is not that interesting, killing off the remaining cast for no reason, and just screams execs meddling where they don't belong. Even the director of this movie hates Alien 3 and pretty much sworeof Hollywood. Can't blame him.

can you honestly see that fitting in with the Alien IP, at least at that point in the timeline?
Yes.

Even Aliens still confines its scope to a single colony with a single platoon against a few hundred xenomorphs, with the number of xenomorphs seen simultaniously never reaching digits. Maybe the premise would have made for a better AvP movie, but as a better Alien 3?
The idea could work fine either for Alien or AVP. I am not saying it has to be all over one city, and can be an isolated location, but I the former can work fine and has ambition in scope and size. Be committed and go full crazy with it. Anything would have been better than the final product. Any of what I just mentioned is 1000x better than Prometheus and Covenant.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You're not setting the bar terribly high there.
I personally don't care, because those two are so shitty. Don't even get me started. The only good thing for me was that I never saw either Prometheus or Covenant in theaters. I still have not seen the latter, because I knew it would get only dumber from there. As far as I am concerned, there are only two Alien movies, four Predator movies (1, 2, Predators, & Prey), with AVP1 (2004) being an alternate universe, and AVP (Capcom) being the true end to the series.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
As long as we're bickering about how the Alien movies should have gone, I'd like to map out the timeline.

Prey > Predator > Predator 2 > Spy Kids Trilogy > Alien vs. Predator > (unfinished) Machete Trilogy> Predators > Blade Runner > Alien > Alien: Isolation > Blade Runner 2077 > Avatar Saga > Aliens. AvP: Requim, Spy Kids 4, The Predator, and remaining Alien stories don't count.

Aside from those exemptions, did I miss anything or get anything out of order?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As long as we're bickering about how the Alien movies should have gone, I'd like to map out the timeline.

Prey > Predator > Predator 2 > Spy Kids Trilogy > Alien vs. Predator > (unfinished) Machete Trilogy> Predators > Blade Runner > Alien > Alien: Isolation > Blade Runner 2077 > Avatar Saga > Aliens. AvP: Requim, Spy Kids 4, The Predator, and remaining Alien stories don't count.

Aside from those exemptions, did I miss anything or get anything out of order?
There was a chestburster in Crozier's lab in the "Mindwarp" story of Doctor Who, so you have to include all of Dr Who as well. Though, if you are only counting movies, that's only one in the main canon, set between Predators and Blade Runner.

Otherwise, sit down and put every Dr Who story in order in there. Not counting Nuwho, of course.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
But I love David Tennent and Matt Smith. :( Couldn't I just cut it off when he fakes his death?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, wait, originally Predator was said (behind the scenes) to be set in Val Verde, a fictional country that's also mentioned in Commando, and Die Hard 2, so those films are set in the Predator universe.

Always though they should do a Die Hard remake, where it's a Predator, not a John McClain in the tower.