Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of filler, I think the Doma/Waking The Dragons Arc of the Yu-Gi-Oh anime is one of the best. The main villain leaves a bit to be desired but the expansion of Mai's arc and the dynamic Yugi, Jonouchi and Kaiba have with their respective evil counterparts is well done.
I never cared too much for that filler arc. It made some of the villains too powerful and two out of the four border are unintentionally unsympathetic. I mainly referring to the main villain himself, and Raphael. I do appreciate the character development Mai goes through, but she doesn't show up much after the arc is over, aside from her partnering with Vivian Wong in the last episode. Plus, I felt that part of the season dragged on for far too long. And they made the Pharaoh act very out of character in order for him to use the seal of orichalcos.

Can't watch anything anymore. No film or series no matter how well made, everything feels awful. Tried Guardians of the Galaxy 3 like 5 times now but have to quit a few minutes in, despair piles upon despair and concentration fizzles out. The backlog can't be pruned, has to be thrown away, It's all pointless trying. Dead and hollowed out, joyless corpse has to accept they cannot engage any further.
You okay my man? This is unlike you. I'm not expecting like everything either, but sounds like you're not going through a good mood at the moment. If you need anything, feel free to talk, or for me to find something to put your mind at ease for a little bit. Stay safe.

Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
You okay my man? This is unlike you. I'm not expecting like everything either, but sounds like you're not going through a good mood at the moment. If you need anything, feel free to talk, or for me to find something to put your mind at ease for a little bit. Stay safe.
Appreciate your kind words, thanks. Just gotta work through some tricksy stuff, need to honestly stay away from posting for a while so the inner swirling negativity and toxicity can be quarantined away from everyone else meanwhile. Today was moment of weaknesses unfortunately. Much love and luck to yous! 🙏🍻

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Hawki, PR: Uprising is actually compared to what Del Toro actually envisioned for his sequel. The humans creating the kaiju is even dumber than what happens in Uprising. This spoiler is time stamped.

PH is right. There are things that don't need or never need a sequel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still one of the best takes on how to do proper fan-service. Both clips are time stamped in order.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The reptilian invasion is so successful that they are running out of disguises and that's the reason why Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds and Paul Rudd wear the same head.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wanna hear the hottest, most original take in this thread?

Kids movies were better when I was a kid. Disney's anyway.
You are not alone on this opinion. Got to any YouTube comments with most Disney movies or animated movies in general from the 90s.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Making a live action direct sequel to something that was animated, or an animated direct sequel to something that was live action is stupid.

See Ahsoka, live action direct sequel to the animated show Rebels, which was a sequel to a much better animated show, Clone Wars, which is an animated sequel to Star Wars Episode 2, and a prequel to Episode 3.

In order to understand who Ahsoka even is you have to watch Clone Wars (which is 7 seasons long), and to understand who any of the other characters in Ahsoka are you have to have watched Rebels, a show in which Ahsoka only tangentially appears for like 4 episodes of it's 4 season run.

So now my dad, who likes the Mandalorian show, is trying to watch Ahsoka and is very confused because he didn't watch 11 seasons worth of animated children's shows in preparation.

Reactions: Hawki

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See Ahsoka, live action direct sequel to the animated show Rebels, which was a sequel to a much better animated show, Clone Wars, which is an animated sequel to Star Wars Episode 2, and a prequel to Episode 3.

In order to understand who Ahsoka even is you have to watch Clone Wars (which is 7 seasons long), and to understand who any of the other characters in Ahsoka are you have to have watched Rebels, a show in which Ahsoka only tangentially appears for like 4 episodes of it's 4 season run.

So now my dad, who likes the Mandalorian show, is trying to watch Ahsoka and is very confused because he didn't watch 11 seasons worth of animated children's shows in preparation.
Continuity!

You have a point, that is the problem with any long running movie/TV franchise or hybrid between the two. That said, 3D Clone Wars fans are eating great now; especially if they were there since ground zero in 2008. I remember a time when there was pre-emptive hate for Ahsoka the pilot movie first released in theaters. 2-3 years later, and most fans couldn't get enough of her. By the mid 2010s, a majority of hardcore SW fans didn't have a bad thing to say about her. My have times changed.

Making a live action direct sequel to something that was animated, or an animated direct sequel to something that was live action is stupid.
Yeah, most projects like this or that, don't turn out well in the long run or will be forgotten about. Star Wars is the only few to do this competently enough, but that is debatable between all parts of the fandom. Bennett can attest to this with Iria.

All said and done: this can work with proper care. The Animatrix winded up being better and exploring the themes of the franchise better, than of the live-action sequels. The Godzilla (1998) Animated Series ended up so much better and interesting than the live-action prequel. Made by the same animation studio that did the Men in Black The Animated Series and Extreme Ghostbusters. Both are actually sequel/alternate continuity sequels set in different universes with broad strokes storytelling. MIBTA takes place after the movie, but K never erased his memory. MIB II wasn't even out yet, let alone did they have a script for it. Most fans actually like the TV series more than the movie sequels. Me being one of them. EGB is a sequel to The Real Ghostbusters, which is a broad strokes sequel to the live-action movies. Hell, The Mask Animated Series is implied to take place after the original movie, and that show got 3 seasons! One of my favorite wacky superhero shows from the 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyrian007

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Continuity!

You have a point, that is the problem with any long running movie/TV franchise or hybrid between the two. That said, 3D Clone Wars fans are eating great now; especially if they were there since ground zero in 2008. I remember a time when there was pre-emptive hate for Ahsoka the pilot movie first released in theaters. 2-3 years later, and most fans couldn't get enough of her. By the mid 2010s, a majority of hardcore SW fans didn't have a bad thing to say about her. My have times changed.

Yeah, most projects like this or that, don't turn out well in the long run or will be forgotten about. Star Wars is the only few to do this competently enough, but that is debatable between all parts of the fandom. Bennett can attest to this with Iria.

All said and done: this can work with proper care. The Animatrix winded up being better and exploring the themes of the franchise better, than of the live-action sequels. The Godzilla (1998) Animated Series ended up so much better and interesting than the live-action prequel. Made by the same animation studio that did the Men in Black The Animated Series and Extreme Ghostbusters. Both are actually sequel/alternate continuity sequels set in different universes with broad strokes storytelling. MIBTA takes place after the movie, but K never erased his memory. MIB II wasn't even out yet, let alone did they have a script for it. Most fans actually like the TV series more than the movie sequels. Me being one of them. EGB is a sequel to The Real Ghostbusters, which is a broad strokes sequel to the live-action movies. Hell, The Mask Animated Series is implied to take place after the original movie, and that show got 3 seasons! One of my favorite wacky superhero shows from the 90s.
The Animatrix doesn't really count. It's not really a sequel and more just loosely connected vignettes that expand on the lore and world-building of The Matrix.

I'll give you Men in Black The Animated Series. I had actually completely forgotten that it existed until you mentioned it, but yeah it was pretty awesome.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Animatrix doesn't really count. It's not really a sequel and more just loosely connected vignettes that expand on the lore and world-building of The Matrix.
Hell yes it counts. While most are individual or loosely connected vignettes, certain shorts do have connections that either take place just before the second movie, or lead into it. Final Flight of the Osiris takes place just before the opening of Reloaded. Kid's Story (the one that involves the teen with the skateboard who shows up in both sequels) takes place after the first movie, but before the second movie. And even the shorts that are loosely connected do better ideas or concepts then either live action sequels.

I'll give you Men in Black The Animated Series. I had actually completely forgotten that it existed until you mentioned it, but yeah it was pretty awesome.
You are welcome.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Hell yes it counts. While most are individual or loosely connected vignettes, certain shorts do have connections that either take place just before the second movie, or lead into it. Final Flight of the Osiris takes place just before the opening of Reloaded. Kid's Story (the one that involves the teen with the skateboard who shows up in both sequels) takes place after the first movie, but before the second movie. And even the shorts that are loosely connected do better ideas or concepts then either live action sequels.
Final Flight of the Osiris, while it does directly lead into Reloaded is completely unnecessary for understanding Reloaded, and involves characters not connected to the movies at all. It's just expansion of lore.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Final Flight of the Osiris, while it does directly lead into Reloaded is completely unnecessary for understanding Reloaded, and involves characters not connected to the movies at all. It's just expansion of lore.
Yeah, I've only watched the first half of Animatrix before getting bored (should watch the others), but it seems totally unneccesary to me, just padding things out that didn't need it. Of course, you can say the same about the live action sequels as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't mean a thing to me. I felt something and cared more about what was going on there than nearly anything going on in Reloaded.

Of course, you can say the same about the live action sequels as well.
The live-action sequels are so much worse in that regard. FFothO is only 15 minutes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Don't mean a thing to me. I felt something and cared more about what was going on there than nearly anything going on in Reloaded.

The live-action sequels are so much worse in that regard. FFothO is only 15 minutes.
Those are both good points.