Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • TMNT (2014) and Out of the Shadows are good movies and better than Secret of the Ooze, III, and TMNT (2007).
  • Most of the Phase 2 films in the MCU are not good and I dislike heavily. The only great one is Winter Soldier.
  • Wonder Woman 1984 is not as good as the original, but it is not a bad movie. I consider a great movie regardless of its faults.
  • Suicide Squad (2016) is just average.
  • Ninja Assassin deserved a sequel big time!
  • Dark City >>>The Matrix. Just make sure you're watching the Director's Cut of Dark City. I still like The Matrix, but Dark City has a better story and characters.
  • The Gorillaz and Linkin Park are the best bands! They never stop evolving and know how to adapt with multiple genres and trends. They both still make music today!
  • Soul II Soul are a timeless RnB group who songs get better and better each day.
  • The only Chris Nolan films I like outside of the Dark Knight Trilogy is Tenet.
  • Speaking of which: Dark Knight > Rises > Begins.
  • Redline, Promare, Kill La Kill, and Space Dandy are the best anime of the 2010s.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
  • Most of the Phase 2 films in the MCU are not good and I dislike heavily. The only great one is Winter Soldier.
Counter Hot Take, incoming: With the exception of Far From Home, all of the MCU's first sequel movies (Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Cap 2, GotG2, etc) movies, are better than the first films.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
- Memento is the only good Christopher Nolan movie.
- Futurama was never good.
- The directors cut of Aliens is horrible, horrible garbage.
- The Incredibles is a better superhero movie than the entire MCU combined.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is a great actor and most of his movies are superb.
- Big Trouble in Little China kinda blows.
- Grave of the Fireflies is pointless misery.
- Terminator 2 and Aliens are NOT better than the originals at all.
- Superman Returns is actually quite good.
- The music video to Dye's 'Fantasy' is terrific, and if you don't like it what the hell is wrong with you?
- Full Metal Alchemist is lame. All it. It's just lame.
- Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is one of the most genuis works of art.
- Titanic is a fantastic movie.

I don't know how hot these are as I'm usually pretty mainstream with my opinions on movies and such.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
- The directors cut of Aliens is horrible, horrible garbage.
I've only ever seen the Directors Cut.

What is so wrong with it?

I cannot really speak much for Terminator, because I have only ever seen the films once each (though I did really like Dark Fate, which I understand makes me eligible to be burnt at the stake, or something), but I would never really say that either Alien or Aliens are better than each other.

Each are ultimately different films, with entirely different tones. Aside from the films taking place in the same universe, with some of the same characters, I wouldn't say that the films are really comparable.

I do prefer Aliens, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Cap 2, GotG2, etc) movies, are better than the first films.
C-C-C-C-C-C-OUNTER BREAKER!!!!
  • Iron Man 2 had so much wasted potential and was glorying sequel baiting for Thor and Avnegers.
  • Thor 2 is boring as fuck, At least Iron Man 2 can be entertaining.
  • I agree with you on Cap 2.
  • GotG 2 has a slight edge over the original, but I love both about the same.

The directors cut of Aliens is horrible, horrible garbage.
No.

The Incredibles is a better superhero movie than the entire MCU combined.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is a great actor and most of his movies are superb.
Yes!

- Big Trouble in Little China kinda blows.
Bullshit!

- Grave of the Fireflies is pointless misery.
It's a guilt trip movie to the Japanese delinquent crowd during the 80s. That is why it's so manipulative and pointless misery. Agreed.

- Superman Returns is actually quite good.
T2 & Aliens, to each is their own. I find Alien and Aliens equal. T2 I do like more than T1, but I don't hate the original. It's all the other sequels have problems towards. Superman Returns is so fucking boring. If my parents hate it, and my dad forgot it even existed, then you know the director fucked up hard.

Full Metal Alchemist is lame. All it. It's just lame.
If you're talking about the 2003 adaption, I get it, but Manga/Brotherhood is good. Not perfect, but good.

Titanic is a fantastic movie.
It's boring and has the least interesting romantic lead in a movie about a disaster I have ever seen!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Superheroes are essentially silly and almost (Batman Begins excepted) don't work well when trying to be serious. Not seen all of the MUC, in part because what I've seen of it is awful.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is it really a hot take when it's the truth about how broken a YouTube system is? Yet you have many people who refuse to listen, learn, or see the truth.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've only ever seen the Directors Cut.

What is so wrong with it?
The whole thing with Ripley's dead daughter and having that be the connection she has to Newt. It takes away from what the sequel was initially about; Ripley healing from the trauma she suffered in the first movie. And doing so by helping a child who has suffered through the same. That was their connection, not Ripley having lost a daughter and Newt having lost her parents. We don't even know about Ripley's daughter till we hear she died, so why should we care? We don't know Ripley as a mother, we know her as the person who survived the Alien encounter from the first movie. That is our emotional connection to her.

Then there's the really, really bad scene that shows it's Newt's parents conveniently being the ones who got sent to the derelict ship, along with Newt. We also get to see the colony before the attack, which takes away the mystery and cuts the audience off from the perspective of Ripley and the marines who are going in blind. In the theatrical version we go in as blind as them and it adds to the tension.

There's the turrent scene which might have some effect if you've never seen the theatrical version, but if you have it has zero tension because you know the aliens don't make it in until later.

Also, having a slow pan through the Sulaco at the start of the movie feels like pointless padding. I know it's supposed to reference the first movie, but unlike that movie we barely spend any time on the Sulaco after we're introduced to the marines, and none of the tension takes place there until the very end. The first movie takes its time to let the audience familiarize themselves a bit with the Nostromo where most of the movie will take place, as well as its claustrophobic atmosthere, before introducing us to the characters. There is no need for that in Aliens and the theatrical version appropriately just cuts straight to the freezers as the marines wake up.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Also, having a slow pan through the Sulaco at the start of the movie feels like pointless padding. I know it's supposed to reference the first movie, but unlike that movie we barely spend any time on the Sulaco after we're introduced to the marines, and none of the tension takes place there until the very end. The first movie takes its time to let the audience familiarize themselves a bit with the Nostromo where most of the movie will take place, as well as its claustrophobic atmosthere, before introducing us to the characters. There is no need for that in Aliens and the theatrical version appropriately just cuts straight to the freezers as the marines wake up.
Uh, you don't get to see the Sulaco for at least fifteen minutes. The opening of Aliens, director's cut or otherwise, is with the salvage crew finding the ship Ripley's been in cryosleep in for 87 years. They board the ship and then get really glum they're gonna get no salvage. Then there's the nightmare sequence - which is where you meet Burke the first time - and the subsequent hearing into Ripley's conduct, and lastly her visit from Burke and Goreman asking her to go to LV-426 to help the Colonial Marine's because the colony has gone dark.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
We also get to see the colony before the attack
The guy in charge is captain Hollister. You just need someone who'se been in suspension for too long, a robot, a surviving cat and an ineffectual military type and you've got Red Dwarf.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Uh, you don't get to see the Sulaco for at least fifteen minutes. The opening of Aliens, director's cut or otherwise, is with the salvage crew finding the ship Ripley's been in cryosleep in for 87 years. They board the ship and then get really glum they're gonna get no salvage. Then there's the nightmare sequence - which is where you meet Burke the first time - and the subsequent hearing into Ripley's conduct, and lastly her visit from Burke and Goreman asking her to go to LV-426 to help the Colonial Marine's because the colony has gone dark.
I consider that near the start of the movie. My complaint isn't that there's a slow opening, it's that there's no need to have a slow pan of the Sulaco when the movie barely takes place on it. When the movie goes to the planet we get a rather long scene of the marines slowing navigating through the colony with very little happening, and there it works because it allows the scenery and the atmosphere of where the movie is primarily set to settle in.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
The Hunt (2020) is a hilarious and terribly underappreciated movie that people missed out on solely because of "us vs them" politics. Give it a few years and I guarantee it'll have a cult following.

Zack Snyder is an amazing cinematographer, but a horrid director and an even worse writer. Watchmen was not only immature and gross, but is also the antithesis of what Alan moore was writing about.

Michael Bay is everything thats wrong with America.

Wonderwoman 1984 was mindbogglingly bizarre and bad. How that got out of the editing room is beyond me. Ive heard claims the director was given complete freedom and Ive also heard there were extensive rewrites and reshoots to try and clean it up. I'm really looking forward to someone with access to the production picking it apart.

Mortal Kombat (2021) was complete garbage from beginning to end, Kano was awesome and I'd have literally paid to just watch him do stand-up comedy instead. Unlike WW84, no inspection is needed. It was clearly slapped together by a bunch of nobodies paid to do whatever the studio execs mumbled at them.

While pretty to look at Blade Runner 2049 is largely derivative and directionless, serving no clear purpose in cinema as the first film did not need a sequel and other than special effects it does not out as particularly unique.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Counter Hot Take, incoming: With the exception of Far From Home, all of the MCU's first sequel movies (Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Cap 2, GotG2, etc) movies, are better than the first films.
Look can't go with you on Iran Man 2 but Thor 2? Yep. Cap 2? How was this movie so good after the utter disaster of the first one? Gotg 2? Same level... so give that a win

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Terminator 1 was pretty bad and I don't understand how that, out of all the 80s movies, spawned a franchise... Actually, it doesn't suprise me. They franchised Missing in Action ffs

WW 1984 was close to being good. A few tweaks might have got it there. But WW raping a stranger and flying WW really ruined it for me