Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Been a while since I saw Homecoming, the suit didn't particularly stand out to me. What's wrong with it?

Also I thought the nanotech was the natural evolution for Tony, but the execution really sucked in Infinity War. Why they went with the anime scifi glowing blades and plasma guns that all seem less effective than repulsor blasts is beyond me. The way nanotech was used in Endgame really feels like everyone should just be rocking around in Iron Man suits.

Damn, I miss how cool Iron Man was just walking. Hearing all the machinery whirr and the thuds of his footsteps really sold the weight and power of the suit. I wonder what direction they'll go with Ironheart.
Fucking look at this monstrosity.

1631941961961.png

Gold and red and silver and mat grey and lights all over it in random spots for no reason. Why's it colored that way?! Hideous.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

View attachment 4516

Gold and red and silver and mat grey and lights all over it in random spots for no reason. Why's it colored that way?! Hideous.
Ah, you mean the design itself. That's fair, I always thought it was weird that this suit had so much silver on it for no particular reason. I'm personally bothered more by how the special effects of the suits have gotten worse and worse.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mother's Basement is one of the worst anime reviewers on Youtube. I don't know who died and made him the representation of all things anime. Not only his content is kind of lacking, but he's clearly not as smart as he likes to present himself.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions are still salvageable movies.

I watch them for the epic action scenes.

I also think the actress who plays The Oracle in Revolutions did a better job then the one in the last two movies

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watch them for the epic action scenes.
That's the problem: even the action scenes bore me. I get bored watching either sequels. Like I said before, give me Jet Li's The One or Animatrix any day over the sequels. They both did something different and better than Reloaded and Revolutions.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
That's the problem: even the action scenes bore me. I get bored watching either sequels. Like I said before, give me Jet Li's The One or Animatrix any day over the sequels. They both did something different and better than Reloaded and Revolutions.
I was in the age range where they were my first

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was in the age range where they were my first
By first, you mean an R-Rated movie you watched, or the first time you saw anything Matrix related? The first time I saw the original Matrix was the year it came out in Spring of 1999. I did not see it in theaters, but saw it on tape a few months later at the age of 9 with my family.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
By first, you mean an R-Rated movie you watched, or the first time you saw anything Matrix related? The first time I saw the original Matrix was the year it came out in Spring of 1999. I did not see it in theaters, but saw it on tape a few months later at the age of 9 with my family.
Never saw The Matrix 1 in theaters, my first exposure was Reloaded.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

View attachment 4516

It’s a similar colouration to Iron Man 2’s suitcase suit but they were smart enough to not use any gold in that one. Red and silver contrast just fine on their own, visual designers.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
- Memento is the only good Christopher Nolan movie.
- Futurama was never good.
- The directors cut of Aliens is horrible, horrible garbage.
- The Incredibles is a better superhero movie than the entire MCU combined.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger is a great actor and most of his movies are superb.
- Big Trouble in Little China kinda blows.
- Grave of the Fireflies is pointless misery.
- Terminator 2 and Aliens are NOT better than the originals at all.
- Superman Returns is actually quite good.
- The music video to Dye's 'Fantasy' is terrific, and if you don't like it what the hell is wrong with you?
- Full Metal Alchemist is lame. All it. It's just lame.
- Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is one of the most genuis works of art.
- Titanic is a fantastic movie.

I don't know how hot these are as I'm usually pretty mainstream with my opinions on movies and such.
I’ll add to that with another hot take: Arnie should have won an Oscar/Golden Globe for his portrayal of Terminator.

Think of it: anyone can act human, but how many people can act like an unflinching, completely stoic robot? It takes incredible discipline to never blink (especially when firing a gun), breath, swallow saliva, twitch, sniffle, grunt, or whatever the fuck people do all the time autonomously. He completely sold the idea that there was a fucking machine underneath living tissue. Nobody else in the movie industry can say that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’ll add to that with another hot take: Arnie should have won an Oscar/Golden Globe for his portrayal of Terminator.

Think of it: anyone can act human, but how many people can act like an unflinching, completely stoic robot? It takes incredible discipline to never blink (especially when firing a gun), breath, swallow saliva, twitch, sniffle, grunt, or whatever the fuck people do all the time autonomously. He completely sold the idea that there was a fucking machine underneath living tissue. Nobody else in the movie industry can say that.
Brent Spiner is crying somewhere. Mind you the argument you make is very compelling and I'm inclined to agree, wholeheartedly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Robert Patrick in T2? Really appreciate how good the first two were were after seeing Kristanna Loken in T3.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Could be his experience as a body builder; having to pose on stage not moving a muscle. Arnold also has heavy facial features, so when he frowns it looks like his face could break through concrete.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Brent Spiner is crying somewhere. Mind you the argument you make is very compelling and I'm inclined to agree, wholeheartedly.
Sometimes (very rarely, but sometimes,) I wish I geeked out on television and cinema like some of you so I could cite the exact season, episode and timestamp of this, there was one episode of The Next Generation, I think an early one, wherein Spiner accidentally used a contraction in full-on character as Data, and no one caught it. I think it was a "can't" when Data should have said "can not." I only caught it because, in a later episode, his use of the word "can't" was an indicator to the rest of the crew that something was amiss with "Data."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't find Rick Sanchez an interesting or compelling character. Before anyone starts, I did see the final episodes of Season 5. The episodes that matter to me and finally gave me what I wanted with the Evil President Morty storyline. Rick is nothing more than other jack ass that needs to take out his problems on nearly everyone (slights or not), because he feels the need to be the under dog after being screwed over by life. Sad back story and everything, but as a certain character points out (who's not much better either in the long tun), does not make him anything special, and his many other versions, not right nor the underdog, bad-ass, anti-hero's they make themselves out to be.

24 represents nearly everything wrong with TV and film making in the 2000s. The heavy use of shaky-cam in action sequences, overly dark and serious, War on Terror paranoia, and the heavy use of torture. Nothing against Keifer Sutherland; good actor, but there is a reason why I never got in to this show. I am glad I didn't and put my time to something else.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
24 represents nearly everything wrong with TV and film making in the 2000s. The heavy use of shaky-cam in action sequences, overly dark and serious, War on Terror paranoia, and the heavy use of torture. Nothing against Keifer Sutherland; good actor, but there is a reason why I never got in to this show. I am glad I didn't and put my time to something else.
I was a fan of 24 back in the day but yeah, it's aged pretty poorly and honestly, it had a lot of problems even at the time. It became a running joke even among fans that Jack would Torture anyone at the drop of a hat and it quickly got fucking absurd in it's scenarios after the first season(Season 4 was literally an ever escalating daisy chain of terrorist acts that all needed the previous one to succeed for the next one to work and yeah, it was dumb).

I don't think I'd watch the show again(and I gave up sometime around season 7 or 8) but if I did I don't think I'd get much out of it anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think I'd watch the show again(and I gave up sometime around season 7 or 8) but if I did I don't think I'd get much out of it anymore.
I forgot the show had that many seasons.

It became a running joke even among fans that Jack would Torture anyone at the drop of a hat and it quickly got fucking absurd in it's scenarios after the first season(Season 4 was literally an ever escalating daisy chain of terrorist acts that all needed the previous one to succeed for the next one to work and yeah, it was dumb).
Exactly why I did not get sucked in. I remember watching that 90 minute TV movie special once, and after viewing, I said "Nope, fuck this show. I'm out!". I remember the show did gain controversy for a good while on positively enforcing, or saying "it's okay" to torture as long as that person or people are super evil. With the show's writing and portrayal of it, I can't blame people for thinking otherwise. Everything just rubbed me the wrong way.