Movie, TV, Web Series, and Music Hot Take(s).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd rather have entitled, where he at least gets shit done,
And that's your big mistake right there and many anime/manga creators. I'm not just talking about shounen either, this is a problem with a lot of modern anime. We're supposed to like, root, or find many of these assholes (whether they be main, rival, villain, or side characters) sympathetic or endearing. When in reality I don't care or despise them. If I had to deal with Bakugo as the main view point character, I would have dropped the first season a quarter way though, and pimp slap the creator multiple times. If I want to knee bash your character multiples, kick your "redemptive arc" Endeavor in the nuts with a spiked big ass boots, or Dragon Kick Mineta's ass in to the Milky Way, we have multiple problems. None of those are my fault.

EDIT: Any show that tries to excuse, downplay, or ignore bullying like it almost never happened, gets on shit list faster. And Bakugo is on that shit list for a reason.

Another show that does jerk who develop in to better people done right: Kill La Kill. Let's just say Ryuko Matoi is not the only one who develops.

Oh look, my disdain for that anime is starting to show.

Oops.
If your disdain is that bad, then you wouldn't have found Izuku the biggest whiner. If you think that, then you've either been ignoring the list I mentioned, or you have really not watched that much anime to begin with. You're missing a lot of perspective, if it's the second option.

Not to mention, Event Horizon, one of the best 40k films.
That or Doom.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
And that's your big mistake right there and many anime/manga creators. I'm not just talking about shounen either, this is a problem with a lot of modern anime. We're supposed to like, root, or find many of these assholes (whether they be main, rival, villain, or side characters) sympathetic or endearing. When in reality I don't care or despise them. If I had to deal with Bakugo as the main view point character, I would have dropped the first season a quarter way though, and pimp slap the creator multiple times. If I want to knee bash your character multiples, kick your "redemptive arc" Endeavor in the nuts with a spiked big ass boots, or Dragon Kick Mineta's ass in to the Milky Way, we have multiple problems. None of those are my fault.

EDIT: Any show that tries to excuse, downplay, or ignore bullying like it almost never happened, gets on shit list faster. And Bakugo is on that shit list for a reason.

Another show that does jerk who develop in to better people done right: Kill La Kill. Let's just say Ryuko Matoi is not the only one who develops.
Im not saying that Bakugo would have been a good protagonist, im just saying that if it was a choice between the "Im angry at everything" trope, or the "I burst into tears at the slightest challenge" trope, I would take the first option every time.

But again, thats not to say that this character archetype isn't without its problems - I've had my own issues with these types of characters in the past, like when I recently watched Attack on Titan, where the best episodes were the ones were Eren was either entirely absent, or literally bound and gagged.

How hard can it be to create a main character without some kind of crippling personality defect? Because a whole lot of (otherwise great) anime don't seem to have grasped it, yet.

If your disdain is that bad, then you wouldn't have found Izuku the biggest whiner. If you think that, then you've either been ignoring the list I mentioned, or you have really not watched that much anime to begin with. You're missing a lot of perspective, if it's the second option.
FYI, you can drop the whole gatekeeping "you can only criticise anime if you've watched enough anime" perspective.

I've likely not seen as many shows as you have, but I can say for certain that Deku was a fucking annoying protagonist to follow around all of the time, regardless of whether or not he was/is the worst.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
m not saying that Bakugo would have been a good protagonist, im just saying that if it was a choice between the "Im angry at everything" trope, or the "I burst into tears at the slightest challenge" trope, I would take the first option every time.
You can explain that all you want, but it would still be a big no for me. You want him, you can have him, but it wouldn't be worth it in the end. You will have have to look at fanfiction for that.

FYI, you can drop the whole gatekeeping "you can only criticise anime
I never said anything about gatekeeping. You can watch whatever you want. All I said was that you lacked perspective. The more perspective you have, the more you realize is that Deku ain't even close to the worst whiner you'll ever see an anime.

I've likely not seen as many shows as you have, but I can say for certain that Deku was a fucking annoying protagonist to follow around all of the time,
And once again, you don't know shit. I've already seen worse. You think you've see. the worst, but trust me son, you have not even come close yet. You're entitled to your opinion and everything, but if I showed you the stuff I've seen, you would quickly change that opinion. I'll end it here, cuz it's obvious we're not going to get anywhere. Just remember that in this case, I got more experience than you. Moving on.

Last edited:

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never said anything about gatekeeping. You can watch whatever you want. All I said was that you lacked perspective. The more perspective you have, the more you realize is that Deku ain't even close to the worst whiner you'll ever see an anime.
Perspective of what?

Anime isn't magically different from any other medium, just by virtue of it being animated.

It doesn't matter whether or not you have seen a single episode of an anime in your life. Characters are characters, whether or not they are animated, live action, from a game, or written in a book.

And once again, you don't know shit. I've already seen worse. You think you've see. the worst, but trust me son, you you have not even come close yet. You're entitled to your opinion and everything, but if I showed you the stuff I've seen, you would quickly change that opinion. I'll end it here, cuz it's obvious we're not going to get anywhere. Just remember that in this case, I got more experience than you. Moving on.
You literally cropped out the part of my quote where I said that it didn't matter whether or not he is the whiniest character - for the record, I never said he was - as you procced to go on to tell me that he isn't the worst you've ever seen, so therefore I guess he is beyond criticism?

That isn't how that works.

If you want to move on from this, by all means. All im saying is that I don't really think that you are addressing my points, just evading them, and telling me that you know better.

Son.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Perspective of what?
Of who's the biggest whiner, duh. Hahaha. In all seriousness, is Izuku ain't exactly perfect either, and there are parts of my dislike as well, but at least he improves himself. But overall, I like the character.

Anime isn't magically different from any other medium, just by virtue of it being animated.
I never said nor implied that. I don't know where you're getting that from.
doesn't matter whether or not you have seen a single episode of an anime in your life. Characters are characters, whether or not they are animated, live action, from a game, or written in a book.
So? You can still have good, bad, or annoying characters that are up for comparing and contrasting. They ain't immune to that either.
You literally cropped out the part of my quote where I said that it didn't matter whether or not he is the whiniest character - for the record, I never said he was - as you procced to go on to tell me that he isn't the worst you've ever seen, so therefore I guess he is beyond criticism?
And you keep assuming and putting words in my mouth. I never said he was beyond criticism. There are parts of him I do not like. He can be too forgiving and too soft at times. (even Yoh Asakura would tell him to knock it off. And he's a pretty chill protagonist too.) Especially when it comes to Bakugo. Almost any other main character with a sense decency from an anime or superhero show would tell him to drop the over niceness. I did read it. I get your explanation, but it would still be a big no for me when it comes to Bakugo. That's never going to change.

All im saying is that I don't really think that you are addressing my points, just evading them, any telling me that you know better.
I did address your points. I don't understand how you're not seeing them. I never once evaded anything. I never said I knew better than you, nor did I imply it. You are not wrong for not seeing as much anime. That's not what I'm getting that, but what I am saying is that many people are gonna have different opinions and disagree. Especially those that have been around longer in the medium, or know and understand more. It's no different from someone that watches way more movies or play more games than the average Joe.

Like Bakugo or have a greater preference for him all you want, I don't care.

My original main point when I put up that hot take is that he and Sasuke I consider the worst rival characters in any anime. They are both entitled jackass that believe everything is about them. While Bakugo does get some "development", it ultimately rings hollow. Sasuke on the other hand has been a problem child, since the series first introduced him. He's been a wangsty, emo, biatch for 20 years. With not much improving with him even, as an adult that is married and has a child.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If your comedy style is being politically incorrect and not caring if you offend people, then walk the walk and not actually care if you offend people. The whole "how dare people be mean to me, I was only making fun of them" schtick is sad.

Also, of all the Superman's we've had, why do we give a shit about what Dean Cain thinks about anything?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If your comedy style is being politically incorrect and not caring if you offend people, then walk the walk and not actually care if you offend people. The whole "how dare people be mean to me, I was only making fun of them" schtick is sad.
Is this in reference to something specific? I've been seeing that Chappelle's latest Netflix special is pissing people off.

Guy who played Superman in Lois and Clark apparently. He also said this: "I believe the pendulum will swing back to openly appreciating American values, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights", in the context of him criticizing the new Captain America comics. So basically, a very, very washed up actor whose opinion doesn't matter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Guy who played Superman in Lois and Clark apparently. He also said this: "I believe the pendulum will swing back to openly appreciating American values, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights", in the context of him criticizing the new Captain America comics. So basically, a very, very washed up actor whose opinion doesn't matter.
With a quote like that, he definitely has his head up in the ass.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Prometheus is the best "Aliens" movie of the lot. I know, I know; I can already hear the collective massive inhale from franchise fans ready to shout me down, but it is my personal opinion, and this IS the 'hot takes" thread,

I'm not saying the earlier Alien films were bad; I enjoy most of them, but Prometheus is the one I personally enjoy the most. It doesn't feature enough of the H.R. Geiger aesthetic, but the tension it builds and intellectual stimulation it has are more captivating than, say, the basic "monster movie" vibe of the earlier films. Don't know why, but I'll bother spoiler-ing this, the reveal at the end when you realize not only were the Engineers our progenitors (and ostensibly our creators,) but the realization that the iconic Xenomorphs were effectively a bioweapon designed by the Engineers in an attempt to extinguish humanity, man! I think that last point is why I like it so much, the reveal put the entire experience into a whole other light and made me appreciate it on a different level. The scene where they wake the last Engineer, and he appears to be in a stupor, perhaps even suffering, with that blank, emotionless face hiding the wealth of knowledge and intelligence that could change human history and existence forever... only to become extremely violent when they attempt to communicate with him, immediately reassuming their mission of genocide as if he'd only been taking a 15-minute power nap instead of the 2,000 years of stasis he'd been in. It was as jarring in a great way.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Related but not directly. The "but he's offending everybody" defense is just wearing thin and I don't really care who it's applying to this month.
That's been South Park shtick for over 20 years. Part of the reason why they got less interesting as time went on. It's why I didn't even bother with Drawn Together anymore. Especially the third season & the movie. I'll still watch the first two seasons on an occasion.

That was the major flaw with a lot of animated comedies on comedy central. They are all copying South Park with not as much wit, or to be even more provocative and offensive without much defense, rhyme, or reason. Even Drawn Together suffered from this. All the more ironic, because the creator of Drawn Together hates Matt and Trey from South Park. He gets up in his own ass about it in the movie. It's basically a 90-minute long biatch fit. Crying about how dare people criticize or get offended by all the humor that is built from shock value and being completely gross out with no rhyme or reason and no point. I know after seeing that terrible movie, I wanted to nothing to do with the series for a long while.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Mob Psycho 100 just announced it's third season. If it's the *last* season as the promo image suggests, a certain brand of anime nerd is going to be very and hilariously angry about it and I'm there for it.

I mean, with hindsight, the events that happen at the end of the manga are obvious and predictable, but Mob's still a kid so...

Fantastic series, powerful emotions, doesn't fall into the standard shonen trap, I recommend everybody catch up or rewatch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mob Psycho 100 just announced it's third season. If it's the *last* season as the promo image suggests, a certain brand of anime nerd is going to be very and hilariously angry about it and I'm there for it.
Mother's Basement? Digibro?

I don't follow the anime YouTuber review scene for a reason. There are some good people out there, but that's very too far in between.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Mother's Basement? Digibro?

I don't follow the anime YouTuber review scene for a reason. There are some good people out there, but that's very too far in between.
Dunno Digibro, but if MB takes exception to it then I've severely misread them. More the weird anime nerds with nuclear takes that only watch shonen and booby shows.

You know, the people who'd benefit most from actually paying attention

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dunno Digibro,
You're not missing anything. He's gigantic douche that used to do MLP reviews, and was a fan at the time, to anime, but he eventually went towards alt-right insanity. He does not have many fans left last I checked.

but if MB takes exception to it then I've severely misread them. More the weird anime nerds with nuclear takes that only watch shonen and booby shows.
MB, I don't like because he acts like a jack ass to those that can't afford anime (which still is an expensive hobby, despite being more mainstream now) or are not available in their home country. He paints anyone that pirates anime or watch through non-legal streaming sites as scum of the Earth, and MB knows better than that. What does not help is that Crunchyroll and Funimation won't offer their services, despite high requests from those that don't get certain or many shows we do out in the West. MB can fuck off too.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
MB, I don't like because he acts like a jack ass to those that can't afford anime (which still is an expensive hobby, despite being more mainstream now) or are not available in their home country. He paints anyone that pirates anime or watch through non-legal streaming sites as scum of the Earth, and MB knows better than that. What does not help is that Crunchyroll and Funimation won't offer their services, despite high requests from those that don't get certain or many shows we do out in the West. MB can fuck off too.
I've long said that if there isn't a legal means to watch/listen to/play some media, then it's not piracy to acquire it. Secondary market doesn't count either, doesn't help the studio/developer/artist/producer if you buy a copy off of Mark eBay. On the other hand, if you want more of a thing, it does need to get paid for at some point. If you don't have the money that's one thing, but anime's got this weird subculture that has plenty of money but refuses to spend any of it on the things they're "fans" of. Ironically enough, they loved Crunchyroll back before CR went legit. These days CR is "woke" this and "leftist" that though.

From what you told me, decent chance that Digibro's gonna hate how Mob shakes out. MB's probably gonna be fine with it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ironically enough, they loved Crunchyroll back before CR went legit.
I did not even know that. That does become hypocritical of Crunchyroll when you stop and think.

These days CR is "woke" this and "leftist" that though.
I didn't know anything about that either. I do know Funimation had a problem of inserting extreme left politics in their dubs from 2018/19 and had nothing to do with the original dialogue nor context. They got so much backlash for that from anime fans (on all sides of the political spectrum) and pissed them off. Funimation's Ninja Theory style backhanded and immature responses did not help them. I know they toned it way down after that, but some of those same writers are still working at the office. Also, some of the company's voice actors are dicks to the fans buy their shows or merchandise. The sane fans mind you, who don't act like jack asses.

Last edited: