MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
you make him sound like someone who got locked up for breaking into peoples houses and eating their pets

Well, he did maul a few beloved sacred cows.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Well we all knew that this day would come within our lifetimes. No-one stays forever and all things must end before the day is out. I'm just grateful that Bob left on his own two feet rather than to prostate cancer or abscessed lungs or something equally life threatening.

To the Escapist management: It depresses me that the only way I could find out about Bob's departure from your site was to Google 'Moviebob Escapist' and be directed to this thread. Whatever the circumstances of his departure or your reasons for making that so, your readership deserves to be plainly notified that one of your performers/writers/contributors is no longer preparing content for your website. Making an announcement and leaving it up for a week from the day of the confirmation would be ideal.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
Ralancian said:
I don't really have a complaint about The Big Picture he said from the start it was about expressing himself on anything he wanted and it was exactly that. Sometimes I agreed (Sucker Punch)
Oh man, you just reminded me of the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it came to having any respect for the man. When he went on a two episode rant about how if you don't like Sucker Punch, you just "didn't get it".

That was one of his more mild moments of insulting his audience, but it was one of the more pretentious and self-righteous ones. Yes, whatever you say, Bob. If we didn't like Sucker Punch, we just don't get "real" art.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.
Disbelieve all you like. Go look at his comments after the airing of that L&O SVU episode.
You don't have to go that far. I managed to find the "lay down with dogs" and "no bad tactics" tweets with a simple google image search. They were the first couple things that came up when you searched "Bob Chipman tweets"

https://i.imgur.com/yt8WDJy.png

http://i.imgur.com/lmpzfbl.jpg

A Journey To Wander

Jun 20, 2014
I find the amount of gamergate rhetoric still being used in discussions like this to be kind of sad and unfortunate. That ship has sailed so far that it's not even funny. If you didn't like Bob because of his specific tact or his less than respectful jabs at the movement, that's totally fine, and in many cases, I may agree with you. But if you've got gripes against him for taking the side he took, (or taking a side at all,) then I'd suggest taking a look at what the fallout from that movement has been. Good luck, my friends; I think you will need it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vault101 said:
...extremist?...really?
McMarbles said:
Define "extremist". I find that a lot of people who use that word don't know what it means. Like "corruption" and "ethics".
Here's my definition of "extremist": a person that says the ends justify the means.
To be fair he had the common sense to throw in an "almost" now and then.
Maybe he thought he otherwise sounded a little too extremist.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Damn. Only just cottoned on to the fact that his shows are not in the schedule.
Going to miss his video shows. Big Picture and Escape to the Movies were part of my staple diet, dammit!
First Jim and now Bob... eek. Now I've got to click more links ^^

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
faeshadow said:
Ralancian said:
I don't really have a complaint about The Big Picture he said from the start it was about expressing himself on anything he wanted and it was exactly that. Sometimes I agreed (Sucker Punch)
Oh man, you just reminded me of the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it came to having any respect for the man. When he went on a two episode rant about how if you don't like Sucker Punch, you just "didn't get it".

That was one of his more mild moments of insulting his audience, but it was one of the more pretentious and self-righteous ones. Yes, whatever you say, Bob. If we didn't like Sucker Punch, we just don't get "real" art.
It's funny you say that because one his major things that drive me mad is about snooty other critics not realising he's one himself.

Like I said I like Sucker Punch and agreed with Bob's assessment of it. Does that make people who disagree with us not getting it? No it means they disagree with, lets talk about what we disagree and have active discourse about it.

Movie reviews and reviews in general are for me not about getting an opinion on whether I should watch buy something or not but as springboard to talk about topic of discussion.

Catcha: bon voyage.....hmmmm

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
IceForce said:
firmicute said:
I do think its a bit low that nobody of the staff seemed to care enough to write a figgin Article about his firing.. I mean jim got one, Susan too (if I remeber correctly) but even after this thread is like 19 pages long, teh team seems to take the-sorry-lazy or easy route out and just use this thread.

Thats not a fine thing to do, serious. For me it puts the staff of the escapist in a bad light, because it seem that they do favor certain people and seem to be happy to have other people gone-and for 4 days dont even try to make the effort of doing a goodbye posting or some official statement like "hes gone, he did fine work here, we wish him the best, kthxbye"
I think the main difference with Susan, Jim, etc, is that they all resigned their positions and stood down themselves. They left of their own accord, in other words. So it was prudent for The Escapist to write a 'farewell' article/thread in those cases.

In Bob's case however, as far as we can tell, he didn't leave of his own accord. He was fired.

Hardly seems right for the site management to fire someone, and then do a big write-up on how much they'll be missed.
Two quick points. One, Bob wasn't fired; you can only fire an employee, and generally the term firing suggests some cause. In Bob's case, he was an independent contractor with whom we had production contracts. We terminated the contracts as part of our 2015 restructuring. I clarify this because (a) legal gets mad at me when I'm sloppy with language and (b) I don't want to allow an impression to stand that he had been fired for a cause other then our 2015 strategic restructure. That said, you are correct that when a corporation terminates relationships or lets people go, it generally is constrained it what it can and ought say.

Two, I offered Bob an opportunity to make a goodbye post/video but he declined for personal reasons. I certainly wish him the best and he has made it clear on his site that he wishes his friends here the same. Yesterday I tweeted out a link to his new Patreon to encourage folks who missed him on the site to check it out, which I hope you'll do.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Bob's departure won't effect me very much. I'm just not that much into movies and the big picture was very hit and miss for me, my enjoyment of it depended on it NOT being about comic's or cartoons from the stone age. Neither of those are part of my little world.

I did watch Bob's content when it interested me and while I found him less entertaining and thoughtful then Jim or Yahtzee I did like his work.

Gamergate did sour me on Bob despite being neutral on the whole thing. Bob's stance didn't bother me, it was his unwillingness to behave professionally that lowered in in my standing. There are plenty of reasons to support or oppose gamergate but calling your audience subhumans just crosses a line. The Escapist must be a really lenient boss if they accept someone representing them spouting that crap.

I hear his ''the end justifies the means'' and ''There are no bad tactic's only bad targets'' come up a lot here. I suppose I somewhat agree with Bob that sometimes the end does justify the means and bad actions taken against bad people is just in some way. I fiercely disagree with bob's use of this standpoint as it should not be used so loosely. This stance is one you can take in regards to ISIS or the Nazi's but if you try to use it on what's essential internet drama?...That's messed up! Bob's use of this type of thinking turns it into nonsense and makes me worry he has an obsession that's seriously unhealthy for him.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I used to be a fan, then ME3 happened.

I stopped visiting the site a for a long time, until Ethics Happened, now I find myself visiting the site more and more.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Vault101 said:
KazeAizen said:
it still blows my mind a bit Jim could earn 10k a month...I always imagine these people scraping by on say 30k at best

obviously there's probably expenses and/or he wouldn't get all of it,(not to mention the pratron system is not exactly rock solid) but still

and I'm not complaining, I'm sure some people would get their panties in a twist over "silly internet people" making that amount, but if people want to pay for what you do then great! plus lets be honest in this business people rarely make what theyre worth

Plus Jim's done the rounds...why shouldn't he earn as much a s a seasoned professional?
While it was once the case that website talent and YouTuber stars were dismally compensated, this is no longer the case! Some of the top video stars earn 6 figures and the very top earn 7 figures+.* However it is very much a power-scale distribution. The very top (Pewdiepie, etc.) make a huge amount, the next 10% make a good living, the next 20% an average living, and the lower 60% make very little.

*Edited to provide hard data rather than metaphor

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.
Disbelieve all you like. Go look at his comments after the airing of that L&O SVU episode.
Yeah, I don't see anything that says "most of my audience is rapists."

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I've never really seen these so called inflammatory remarks on twitter... Gamer Gate is seriously not that big of a deal.. He calls out the ones who send death/rape threats to women in the name of "ethics". If that doesn't describe you then why let it bother you so much?

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
Were you really expecting those exact words? That's a bit dishonest. You should know better.

His audience on The Escapist were largely gamers. Go see what he says about gamers.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
Were you really expecting those exact words? That's a bit dishonest. You should know better.

His audience on The Escapist were largely gamers. Go see what he says about gamers.
And bob himself is a gamer. If you know you're not a rapist are you really going to get your panties in a bunch over a stupid comment? I mean honestly I can't fathom how your minds work when you get so upset over something that you know doesn't describe you.

EDIT: Or subhuman or whatever the fuck he says. Can't be fucked to go look it up. Point is he's a gamer himself so what would it matter what he has to say?

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
DugMachine said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:

And bob himself is a gamer. If you know you're not a rapist are you really going to get your panties in a bunch over a stupid comment? I mean honestly I can't fathom how your minds work when you get so upset over something that you know doesn't describe you.
How do I know that? He doesn't make any distinctions. Neither did the SVU episode he claimed was "spot on".

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
faeshadow said:
How do I know that? He doesn't make any distinctions. Neither did the SVU episode he claimed was "spot on".
Must it be written in plain English or can you just not understand when someone says "All ____ers are ____" they aren't necessarily talking about you personally? Clearly movie bob isn't calling himself a rapist nor subhuman.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DugMachine said:
I've never really seen these so called inflammatory remarks on twitter... Gamer Gate is seriously not that big of a deal.. He calls out the ones who send death/rape threats to women in the name of "ethics". If that doesn't describe you then why let it bother you so much?
Uh, no, he did nothing of the sort. He called all of us (as in, the 99.999% by the lower end of estimates) who are neither trolls, nor harassers, nor doxxers or anything of the like 'acceptable targets'.

If his twitter account wasn't a factor in his getting canned, I would be shocked, because in any other industry he'd have been sent to the door 4 months ago. Hell, in other parts of this industry he'd have gotten it 4 months ago. He had it coming, and in his own words he 'reaped what he sowed'.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Zontar said:
Uh, no, he did nothing of the sort. He called all of us (as in, the 99.999% by the lower end of estimates) who are neither trolls, nor harassers, nor doxxers or anything of the like 'acceptable targets'.

If his twitter account wasn't a factor in his getting canned, I would be shocked, because in any other industry he'd have been sent to the door 4 months ago. Hell, in other parts of this industry he'd have gotten it 4 months ago. He had it coming, and in his own words he 'reaped what he sowed'.
And why does this upset you? According to you you aren't a troll, harasser or doxxer. What is the issue? He said gamers, is he not a gamer?