MovieBob leaving The Escapist

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Morifen said:
You are the first person to mention censorship, dunno where you got that idea.
Because, YOU are the one that mentioned "freedom of speech", which is most often brought up by the people that understand it the least. Remember, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.
I am saying you should not be held accountable at your profession for what you do in your personal life, which includes real life social interactions or social media.
When you market yourself as a personality, as Bob had done, then your personal life does come into the equation. Especially since, while Bob was on the Movies/TV podcast, he signed off each time reminding us that he was on Twitter and we should follow him. By that act alone, he removed every semblance of a partition of the "professional" existence on the Escapist and his "personal" existence on Twitter.
I don't care if Moviebob sacrifices babies or does drugs or is a republican, I only want to watch his movie reviews on fridays.
Just because you don't care doesn't mean others can't/shouldn't care.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Personally, I am unsurprised by and support this move. It seems like the Escapist is gutting their content providers to... some end. Very soon I will have no reason to return to this site. Good job!

That said, I'm a little surprise they axed Bob. He was making quite a bit of content: two video shows, three or four text articles, weekly. Removing him creates a major hole in their schedule that, unless they had some new guy(s) all set to fill it, would be a rather dumb move on their part. I figured they'd make him dial it back at first, cancelling Big Picture and some of the articles first before letting him go.

Looking at the above posts, there was apparently some kind of big deal on Twitter. I don't care about that and I doubt if that had anything to do with it, but I'll leave that to the weirdos who use Twitter. I do not understand Twitter nor why anyone would use Twitter. If you use Twitter, there is something wrong with you.

At this point, the only thing I come to the site for anymore is ZP and its days numbered. Either the site will axe that too or Yahtzee will grow tired of it and decide to do something else. He has said he doesn't want to do ZP for the rest of his life. With the recent carnage, now would be a good time if he's ready to move on.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
So with LizzyF620 confirmed as a new content producer for the Escapist, it seems Bob the cis male has been replaced by a woman, GG and the patriarchy wins again!

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Colour Scientist said:
Is this the part where I dig up loads of out of context tweets?

I can't Twitter very well. :/
Hazy992 said:
Who needs evidence when you have an agenda? That's just common sense
IceForce said:
Don't worry guys. If the new talent is not up to snuff, we can just start reposting out-of-context tweets until they get fired.
Indeed, Bob's Twitter frenzies have been totally taken out of context to paint him as an unhinged individual with an axe to grind. This recent screen capture, in which he proves he's a class act in regards to the Escapist's decision to give Lizzy and Brendan a chance to write some articles, proves it.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
StreamerDarkly said:
Colour Scientist said:
Is this the part where I dig up loads of out of context tweets?

I can't Twitter very well. :/
Hazy992 said:
Who needs evidence when you have an agenda? That's just common sense
IceForce said:
Don't worry guys. If the new talent is not up to snuff, we can just start reposting out-of-context tweets until they get fired.
Indeed, Bob's Twitter frenzies have been totally taken out of context to paint him as an unhinged individual with an axe to grind. This recent screen capture, in which he proves he's a class act in regards to the Escapist's decision to give Lizzy and Brendan a chance to write some articles, proves it.

No one you quoted said anything about Bob Chipman.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Colour Scientist said:
Are you really going to play it off as though your comments were about Sterling or Tito when we're currently in the midst of a 1000 post thread on Chipman's departure just days ago? A thread, I might add, in which it has been incessantly argued that he was forced out due to tweets being taken out of context.

Come now, Colour Scientist. Don't retreat from your position.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
StreamerDarkly said:
Colour Scientist said:
Are you really going to play it off as though your comments were about Sterling or Tito when we're currently in the midst of a 1000 post thread on Chipman's departure just days ago? A thread, I might add, in which it has been incessantly argued that he was forced out due to tweets being taken out of context.

What position?

I was taking the piss because that seems to be what the majority of the GG thread is.

If you can find an example of me ever defending Bob Chipman or his tweets, I'd love to see it.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Rathkor said:
Colour Scientist said:
StreamerDarkly said:
Colour Scientist said:

What position?

I was taking the piss because that seems to be what the majority of the GG thread is.

If you can find an example of me ever defending Bob Chipman or his tweets, I'd love to see it.
I find it funny that "out of context" seems to be the defense here. Tell me, what context would make "No bad tactics, only bad targets" acceptable? Heck, "If you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised when you wake up with fleas." doesn't mean much out of context, but in the context of someone pointing out to him that people who support GG have received death threats and harassment, it becomes a pretty damning example of victim blaming.

Both of these comments come straight from the Twitter of.... MovieBob. Well, seems like in context or out of context, Bobbo was a pretty despicable person.
I thought I just said that I wasn't talking about or defending Bob?

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Rathkor said:
Colour Scientist said:
Rathkor said:
Colour Scientist said:
StreamerDarkly said:
Colour Scientist said:

What position?

I find it funny that "out of context" seems to be the defense here. Tell me, what context would make "No bad tactics, only bad targets" acceptable? Heck, "If you lay down with dogs, don't be surprised when you wake up with fleas." doesn't mean much out of context, but in the context of someone pointing out to him that people who support GG have received death threats and harassment, it becomes a pretty damning example of victim blaming.

Both of these comments come straight from the Twitter of.... MovieBob. Well, seems like in context or out of context, Bobbo was a pretty despicable person.
No, but your comment was mocking "out of context" tweets. So, again I ask, what context makes "No bad tactics, only bad targets" not seem like a horrible quote? Just one example, but it relates to this thread seeing as it comes from Bob.

Or are you admitting to creating an off topic post just to derail the thread?
Someone made a joke, I made a joke back.

"Admitting to creating an off topic post"

Like, seriously?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
There was a time when the Escapist had something great for me to watch on every day of the week. Unskippable on Monday, Big Picture on Tuesday, Zero Punctuation on Wednesday, Extra Credits on Thursday and Escape to the Movies on Friday.

Now, I've only got Mondays and Wednesdays left to even think of coming to this site anymore.

If Yahtzee or Graham Stark leave after this, then this site is just dead to me.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Pete Oddly said:
A good portion of this thread seems to be devoted to Bob and his Twitter presence, and whether or not he insults his audience (or the degree to which he insults his audience). People also seem to be keen on disseminating Bob's words out of context to suit their own ideas of who they perceive him to be.

The way I see it is this:

Bob holds strong opinions about issues of prejudice, and the actions people take (and the things they say) based on their prejudices, specifically when it comes to matters of race, gender, and sexual orientation. Bob holds these prejudiced people in contempt, and as such pulls no punches when calling them out on their shit.
What that means is that Bob called people racist, sexist or bigoted when they say they prefer there own race, sex or whatever views they may hold in the games THEY BUY with their money.

People where pulling no shit unless they where being uncivil about it, Bob was being a massive hypocrite because he thought it made him sound like some moral crusader.

Dec 14, 2009
Rathkor said:
Colour Scientist said:
Rathkor said:
Colour Scientist said:
StreamerDarkly said:
Colour Scientist said:

What position?

No, but your comment was mocking "out of context" tweets. So, again I ask, what context makes "No bad tactics, only bad targets" not seem like a horrible quote? Just one example, but it relates to this thread seeing as it comes from Bob.

Or are you admitting to creating an off topic post just to derail the thread?
There's nothing more irritating or condescending than when someone thinks they've pulled a 'gotcha' on someone who wasn't making an argument.

Give it a rest, she made a joke, you're not witty for seeing something that isn't there.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Good riddance to such a toxic individual. Must say I'm enjoying the escapist more and more now.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Joining this thread at Page 22 and could do with a TL;DR.

Has there been a confirmed, or even just probable, reason for his termination? Did he commit some PR gaffe I wasn't aware of?

Insane_Foxx

May 22, 2009
First Extra Credits, although just as they left, Jim arrived, so more or less a wash on that.

Jim left, and while that was a bummer, can't say i was shocked by it. Now Bob's gone. Which, for me, leaves The Escapist with only a single content provider who's held my attention. Looks like i'll be down to checking the escapist once a week, rather then several. Can't see this as being anything other then horrible news

Mythandrevelry

Feb 19, 2015
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.
Disbelieve all you like. Go look at his comments after the airing of that L&O SVU episode.
Yeah, I don't see anything that says "most of my audience is rapists."
Were you really expecting those exact words? That's a bit dishonest. You should know better.

His audience on The Escapist were largely gamers. Go see what he says about gamers.
This is what's known on the internet as "backpedaling."
Then look up tweets containing terms like "superior world". (Or hell, even "thinkers and believers.) That stuff always creeped me out because it sounds much too similar to what you'd find in works encouraging eugenics. He puts people into these really odd dichotomies and hits a wider range of people than I think he intends to.

Has Bob ever said gaming is full of rapists? Not exactly, though drawing that from the context of a few hundred of his tweets wouldn't be entirely unreasonable. Likewise, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think his definition of misogyny is far too broad.

At the end of the day, if you disagree with him you are - in his words - a right-wing neocon MRA reactionary that is representative of an inferior strain of humanity fighting against the birth of a superior world. He has never strung those words together in that exact order, but spending any amount of time on his twitter should make it abundantly clear how little tolerance he has for diversity of thought. Occasionally I have seen him make small concessions, but it's usually in the form of "You may be an exception, but because you think x you're lumped in with group y and you should change how you think if you don't want to be a horrible person by association."

Some interpretations of what he's said are certainly invalid and some of the minutia is incorrect, but the most relevant thing is that he's often over the top in a way that's poisonous to a brand that wants to cater to a diverse set of people.