MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Mythandrevelry

Feb 19, 2015
AzrealMaximillion said:
Agreed with you pretty much 100%. Movie Bob did kinda help with the poisoning this community in recent years. Extra Credits went kinda the same direction after they left the Escapist and wound up insulting their audience for disagreeing with them on a their definition of what makes a game. They made an entire video pretty much shaming their audience for daring to criticism them.

No one likes being preached to and no one likes being insulted for having a different view point or liking something low brow.
Yeah; it's a shame about Extra Credits. I stopped watching them a while ago for that reason. Still, I loved them while they were here, and I wish they held themselves to the same high standards they hold the community to.

TastyCarcass

Jul 27, 2009
I gotta admit. I returned here after finding that MovieBob and Extra Credits. I'm excited to see where the site's going. I will miss Jim though, don't know what you have till it's gone.

TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.
Disbelieve all you like. Go look at his comments after the airing of that L&O SVU episode.
Yeah, I don't see anything that says "most of my audience is rapists."
Were you really expecting those exact words? That's a bit dishonest. You should know better.

His audience on The Escapist were largely gamers. Go see what he says about gamers.
This is what's known on the internet as "backpedaling."
Sounds more like you are "putting words into someone's mouth".
MovieBob is the prime example of a pseudo intellectual. I also find that I can see good films at the cinema if I do the opposite of what MovieBob says. His videos were very inaccurate, such as his claims that Halo had no black characters. Also the 90s were awesome.
Extra Credits are pretty much "lets kiss James' ass for ten minutes". The last shred of respect for him broke after hearing his lies about Total Biscuit. I could never stand the voice either.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Rathkor said:
MovieBob's long standing Twitter tirade against "modern" gamers has been wearing down management for a while. Constantly attacking gamers while working for a gaming site tends to do that. Though his firing came shortly after his claim that the recent Law and Order SVU episode depicted gamers accurately was brought to the attention of Archon, so it seems that was the final straw.
Citation? I assume you have proof that these "twitter tirades" are confirmed as the reason for his dismissal?

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Mythandrevelry said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
TaboriHK said:
faeshadow said:
There is a huge difference between disagreeing with your audience, and saying that most of your audience are rapists.
As I said, I don't care what anyone says on twitter. It's twitter. Also, I don't believe you for one second.
Disbelieve all you like. Go look at his comments after the airing of that L&O SVU episode.
Yeah, I don't see anything that says "most of my audience is rapists."
Were you really expecting those exact words? That's a bit dishonest. You should know better.

His audience on The Escapist were largely gamers. Go see what he says about gamers.
This is what's known on the internet as "backpedaling."
Then look up tweets containing terms like "superior world". (Or hell, even "thinkers and believers.) That stuff always creeped me out because it sounds much too similar to what you'd find in works encouraging eugenics. He puts people into these really odd dichotomies and hits a wider range of people than I think he intends to.

Has Bob ever said gaming is full of rapists? Not exactly, though drawing that from the context of a few hundred of his tweets wouldn't be entirely unreasonable. Likewise, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think his definition of misogyny is far too broad.

At the end of the day, if you disagree with him you are - in his words - a right-wing neocon MRA reactionary that is representative of an inferior strain of humanity fighting against the birth of a superior world. He has never strung those words together in that exact order, but spending any amount of time on his twitter should make it abundantly clear how little tolerance he has for diversity of thought. Occasionally I have seen him make small concessions, but it's usually in the form of "You may be an exception, but because you think x you're lumped in with group y and you should change how you think if you don't want to be a horrible person by association."

Some interpretations of what he's said are certainly invalid and some of the minutia is incorrect, but the most relevant thing is that he's often over the top in a way that's poisonous to a brand that wants to cater to a diverse set of people.
Again, this is convenient interpretation. If you think MovieBob is sanctioning eugenics, you're either dishonest, dumb, or both.

It's fine to disagree with someone. As I said, I would say I disagreed with Bob easily as much as I agreed with him. Many times I tended to find his logic tortured and his clear love for his own perspective to be irritating. That being said, making a mountain out of what he tweeted is what small-minded people on the internet do. I don't need MovieBob to accept my views, just like he didn't need me to accept all of his. I don't care how much we agree. That's mostly why I watched his series: because I frequently disagreed. And if he got fired over what he wrote on twitter, that's a shame.

You talk about the brand of this site, when one of its reviewers (and biggest draws) has said directly awful things about games with the foulest language at hand. And to great effect! So let's not pretend that there's some kind of language line-crossing that can be done. Perhaps the people who run the Escapist feel that way, but it's certainly not the case.

TastyCarcass said:
Sounds more like you are "putting words into someone's mouth".
MovieBob is the prime example of a pseudo intellectual. I also find that I can see good films at the cinema if I do the opposite of what MovieBob says. His videos were very inaccurate, such as his claims that Halo had no black characters. Also the 90s were awesome.
Extra Credits are pretty much "lets kiss James' ass for ten minutes". The last shred of respect for him broke after hearing his lies about Total Biscuit. I could never stand the voice either.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the quality of MovieBob's content. That doesn't make suggesting that he views his entire audience as rapists who should be euthanized okay, just because he got angry on twitter.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Rathkor said:
Go check the megathread several pages back where I mentioned going to Archon regarding thoseTweets. The very next day, after exchanging a few messages back and fourth with Archon where I linked him the SVU tweets, he was fired. I'm led to believe posting DMs in threads are banworthy, so take that with salt. But you can see me saying I was in contact with Archon right before the announcement was made.
Okay, that's not 'proof'. That's circumstantial at best.

You're really going to claim credit for getting someone fired?

Mythandrevelry

Feb 19, 2015
TaboriHK said:
Again, this is convenient interpretation. If you think MovieBob is sanctioning eugenics, you're either dishonest, dumb, or both.

It's fine to disagree with someone. As I said, I would say I disagreed with Bob easily as much as I agreed with him. Many times I tended to find his logic tortured and his clear love for his own perspective to be irritating. That being said, making a mountain out of what he tweeted is what small-minded people on the internet do. I don't need MovieBob to accept my views, just like he didn't need me to accept all of his. I don't care how much we agree. That's mostly why I watched his series: because I frequently disagreed. And if he got fired over what he wrote on twitter, that's a shame.

You talk about the brand of this site, when one of its reviewers (and biggest draws) has said directly awful things about games with the foulest language at hand. And to great effect! So let's not pretend that there's some kind of language line-crossing that can be done. Perhaps the people who run the Escapist feel that way, but it's certainly not the case.
The hell? I never said I thought Moviebob was in favor of eugenics. I didn't even say I thought what I typed there sounded like eugenics. I have said that on other platforms, but it's different from saying I think he sanctions it. It means, "I'm uncomfortable with how this is being presented and I think this person should consider how they frame their worldview."

Plus, I think the underlying assumptions of what I put together there - which is accurate to things he's tweeted recently and in the past - are ugly enough in themselves to not have to make further inferences. Someone can't rightly claim to be an intellectual and proceed to strawman everyone who disagrees on certain points of his worldview.

And there's also a big difference between using naughty words and off-color jokes to entertain and using language to insult and demean your audience. There's also a clear distinction between Yahtzee the entertainer and Yahtzee the man; there's barely a line between Bob and the characters he inhabits in certain videos. Yahtzee is a professional; Moviebob is not. It's fine if you like the guy and his content, but it's entirely understandable why a company wouldn't want him on board if his conduct had anything to do with why he was fired. Even if it didn't, it had everything to do with why I and others avoided him.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Mythandrevelry said:
TaboriHK said:

The hell? I never said I thought Moviebob was in favor of eugenics. I didn't even say I thought what I typed there sounded like eugenics. I have said that on other platforms, but it's different from saying I think he sanctions it. It means, "I'm uncomfortable with how this is being presented and I think this person should consider how they frame their worldview."

Plus, I think the underlying assumptions of what I put together there - which is accurate to things he's tweeted recently and in the past - are ugly enough in themselves to not have to make further inferences. Someone can't rightly claim to be an intellectual and proceed to strawman everyone who disagrees on certain points of his worldview.

And there's also a big difference between using naughty words and off-color jokes to entertain and using language to insult and demean your audience. There's also a clear distinction between Yahtzee the entertainer and Yahtzee the man; there's barely a line between Bob and the characters he inhabits in certain videos. Yahtzee is a professional; Moviebob is not. It's fine if you like the guy and his content, but it's entirely understandable why a company wouldn't want him on board if his conduct had anything to do with why he was fired. Even if it didn't, it had everything to do with why I and others avoided him.
You're the one that brought eugenics up at all. You can't say someone reminds you of a eugenics supporter and then cry foul when someone references it. Thankfully we have you as the intellectual police, I'm sure his internet license will be revoked shortly.

Regardless of your own personal views on Yahtzee, writing "****", let alone saying it, automatically shuts down a huge number of potential viewers and site visitors. Don't pretend otherwise. It also brings a certain audience in. The same can be said of MovieBob.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Rathkor said:
IceForce said:
Rathkor said:
MovieBob's long standing Twitter tirade against "modern" gamers has been wearing down management for a while. Constantly attacking gamers while working for a gaming site tends to do that. Though his firing came shortly after his claim that the recent Law and Order SVU episode depicted gamers accurately was brought to the attention of Archon, so it seems that was the final straw.
Citation? I assume you have proof that these "twitter tirades" are confirmed as the reason for his dismissal?
Go check the megathread several pages back where I mentioned going to Archon regarding thoseTweets. The very next day, after exchanging a few messages back and fourth with Archon where I linked him the SVU tweets, he was fired. I'm led to believe posting DMs in threads are banworthy, so take that with salt. But you can see me saying I was in contact with Archon right before the announcement was made.
In other words, you don't actually have any proof at all, you just think this coincides with some minor report you filed and that is apparently "proof" that Bob was fired over his twitter-opinions. Never mind the fact that the involved parties deny it. Stop spreading false rumors.

kampfturke

Apr 5, 2010
I like many am thrilled MovieBob is gone. It is obvious the guy lived in a echo chamber, attacking anyone who didn't fit his narrative. His twitter tweets were some of the most offensive things I read....and I am usually quite open minded.

I believe the escapist knows what it is doing and has been looking at its figures and stats and not listetning to the vocal and toxic minotiry thereatening to leave the site due to moviebob being gone. Gamers etc are the customer and the consumer of the escapist and now the escapists is taking action to represent its customer base.

Thank you to the Escapist for representing your customers

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008

I think this thread's been going in circles long enough.

MovieBob is still considered a Staff member until the 1st of March. So please don't fire insults at him like there's no tomorrow.