MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
firmicute said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ruh-roh.

That said I don't wish the guy any ill will, I just wish he'd grow up, learn a little about why people consider Yahtzee or TB professionals and maybe try to stop acting like he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room who the audience should feel grateful to listen to.
They do because neither yatzee nor tb dares to have an opinion on the clusterfuck thats gamergator. Because if you dont have an opinion, cou dont have a wrrong opinon for dickwad on side A or B that would be enough for dickwad x from side A/B to justify a hatecampaign, doxxin or other sheit.

Its the easy way out, in a sense. Its safe, less chance to lose (subscribers, money, a job, your home and sense of safety etc) and also, well, those two have the easy difficulty, even if it doenst seem that way.
I'm pretty sure TB has been very active in and during the Gamergate debacle. He has taken a very clear stance and you do him a disservice by pretending he hasn't. He's not a coward who has refused to comment or take a stance, he's been out in the open since the beginning.

He's openly condemned and supported various people on both sides and made his personal positions well known. he doesn;t deserve the disrespect.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Darkmantle said:
firmicute said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ruh-roh.

That said I don't wish the guy any ill will, I just wish he'd grow up, learn a little about why people consider Yahtzee or TB professionals and maybe try to stop acting like he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room who the audience should feel grateful to listen to.
They do because neither yatzee nor tb dares to have an opinion on the clusterfuck thats gamergator. Because if you dont have an opinion, cou dont have a wrrong opinon for dickwad on side A or B that would be enough for dickwad x from side A/B to justify a hatecampaign, doxxin or other sheit.

Its the easy way out, in a sense. Its safe, less chance to lose (subscribers, money, a job, your home and sense of safety etc) and also, well, those two have the easy difficulty, even if it doenst seem that way.
I'm pretty sure TB has been very active in and during the Gamergate debacle. He has taken a very clear stance and you do him a disservice by pretending he hasn't. He's not a coward who has refused to comment or take a stance, he's been out in the open since the beginning.

He's openly condemned and supported various people on both sides and made his personal positions well known. he doesn;t deserve the disrespect.
Aye, he even did that Anonymous Biscuit thing a week ago that the Anti's were in an uproar about, oh and that thing a month or two back where he retweeted a Charity that asked for retweets and got called a harasser since he is "Pro-GG and just going to attract his GG harassers"

At the same time though, he has denounced the parts of GG that are discussing specific people, (Part of the thing a week ago).

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ratty said:
No, gamers are not worthy of good journalism
We kind of aren't. We haven't shown anything over the past few months that we deserve it. I mean when people scream "Keep politics out my games." That's what they are asking for. A part from the journalistic aspect you are also asking game makers to never tackle difficult and maybe even controversial subject matter in the same way that movies and books do these days on a regular basis.

"I'm not offended by #SVU because I am a gamer and recognize that gaming is diverse. The villains in the show were a sadly spot-on... ...depiction of a strain of gamers who exist and are a cancer on the hobby. But they are not me, they are not the majority" https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/565919038686392320
Apparently SVU was "spot on", in that women get yelled at and raped at gaming conventions just for being women. And GG has kidnapped and tortured a prominent female game dev. And had rooftop shootouts with the police. Except wait, none of that actually happened, so how exactly are the villains "spot on"?
First off SVU has followed a bit of a formula for years. The first 20-30 minutes show something that is realistic and a real running issue. The following half show escalation or a twist that lets them do standard cop show fair. Also you know why the whole episode was pretty accurate though? Because that second half is the escalation that will come if something like this goes unchecked AND it was depicting exactly what most of the rageaholic comments on those women's feeds look like. So yeah its actually accurate. Besides did you see the swatting scene and compare it to say one that has actually happened?

Also every gamer who disagrees with his personal view on things is either a n00b or "insane" and needs to "slither off" because you and people like you are a "slime-pit".

"Basically, the current "big" games industry, i.e. everything apart from the indie/retro/mobile scene, is pointed toward...
...and maybe NEEDS a crash. The slime-pit that makes up the AAA-only/Dew/Doritos/pre-order base needs to be allowed to slither off...
...and find a new medium to fester in. Then, innovators, true (sane) longtime gamers and fresh audiences won by the mobile/indie scene...
...can build a new gaming and a new gamer culture. It happened once before in '83, and it can happen again. Best analog: Comics bubble-burst"
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/560025668797624320

Of course, it's ok to be a n00b if you were won over by arthouse indie games, then you and Bob can build gaming Utopia without all those smelly old AAA playing gamers getting in the way.
The current big AAA industry is pretty dang poisonous though. He's not wrong about that. Maybe you're mad because you enjoy those AAA games and therefore you think he's insulting you on some level which I imagine is actually most of the people who don't like his tweets thinks is happening.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Sad, Bob was my favourite content provider.

Funnily enough, I disagreed with a large portion of his opinions but always found his content to be enjoyable enough. With both Bob and Jim gone, things are looking bleak :(

Aug 12, 2013
Karadalis said:
Cyberstrike said:
How many times has just about every major youtuber VG reviewer said something simlar to that? Crowshaw is almost always railing against AAA games and publishers to the point where he's far more annoying about than Chipman was or has been.
Yes.. the AAA industry... NOT his audience.. and never in such disdain and with so much hatred either, he makes fun of AAA, he doesnt call for it to burn down and that all the subhumans should just disapear and how gamers are all a bunch of terrorists.

Fact is he insulted large portions of the escapists readership on almost a daily basis these last couple of months and even called for their "suffering" and was talking about "scorched earth" and even gave his support to do all the horrible things that GG was accused off to GG supporters. That the escapist even put up with it for so long is amazing

Chroshaw makes fun of the AAA industry and games in general but rarely will he ever seriously insult his own audience, and another difference between chroshaw and moviebob? Yahtzee makes fun of himselfe with the same crass humor he insults everyone else. Bob however? Yeah never did.

First off don't speak for me. I came here for Crowshaw and stayed for Chipman, Follis, and Sterling.
Since I have an intense dislike for twitter I don't care about his so-called "rants" which most of the time are so overblown and taken out of context, to a point where it seems like half of the people can't read or don't understand what he said and I don't have the time to go digging through twitter feeds to understand what is said in the proper context, to fully understand what he meant. Go through the crap that is twitter for me is like looking for a gem in a septic tank.

Second: Fact: gamers come here (and everywhere for that matter) and ***** about AAA titles and the publishers and the press and guess what? They still buy those same games and the DLC.
Why?
Because they're morons.
I'm sorry but that is the simple truth of the matter. Publishers and the press are 2 parts of trouble the rest of gaming's problems are to be placed on the morons who buy games. As for "insulting" gamers well as they say the truth hurts.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Cyberstrike said:
Karadalis said:
Cyberstrike said:
How many times has just about every major youtuber VG reviewer said something simlar to that? Crowshaw is almost always railing against AAA games and publishers to the point where he's far more annoying about than Chipman was or has been.
Yes.. the AAA industry... NOT his audience.. and never in such disdain and with so much hatred either, he makes fun of AAA, he doesnt call for it to burn down and that all the subhumans should just disapear and how gamers are all a bunch of terrorists.

Fact is he insulted large portions of the escapists readership on almost a daily basis these last couple of months and even called for their "suffering" and was talking about "scorched earth" and even gave his support to do all the horrible things that GG was accused off to GG supporters. That the escapist even put up with it for so long is amazing

Chroshaw makes fun of the AAA industry and games in general but rarely will he ever seriously insult his own audience, and another difference between chroshaw and moviebob? Yahtzee makes fun of himselfe with the same crass humor he insults everyone else. Bob however? Yeah never did.

First off don't speak for me. I came here for Crowshaw and stayed for Chipman, Follis, and Sterling.
Since I have an intense dislike for twitter I don't care about his so-called "rants" which most of the time are so overblown and taken out of context, to a point where it seems like half of the people can't read or don't understand what he said and I don't have the time to go digging through twitter feeds to understand what is said in the proper context, to fully understand what he meant. Go through the crap that is twitter for me is like looking for a gem in a septic tank.

Second: Fact: gamers come here (and everywhere for that matter) and ***** about AAA titles and the publishers and the press and guess what? They still buy those same games and the DLC.
Why?
Because they're morons.
I'm sorry but that is the simple truth of the matter. Publishers and the press are 2 parts of trouble the rest of gaming's problems are to be placed on the morons who buy games. As for "insulting" gamers well as they say the truth hurts.
Well it depends exactly what you are reading of his. There was a time where game over thinker was just on and on about how he hates shooters, dudebro games, coderbros and triple A games and Mario games were awesome etc etc.

Granted none of that was on the escapist so is arguably not applicable.

He fell into a trap that a lot of literature critics fall into, his is stuck into reinforcing his personal own social narrative.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
I'll be blunt; I have no sympathy for the man and his termination from Escapist, not with his (utter lack of professional) conduct on Twitter and other social media outlets. I'll be the first person to acknowledge his right to an opinion and voice it, but his bluntless, hyperbole, lack of tact, and general behavior was besmirching Escapist and its reputation, and letting him go was months overdue. He has been for some time at the point of being no different, perhaps even worse, than the poisonous cretins he was trying to criticize, and not just failing but catching a whole lot of uninvolved, moderate, or even nominally allied people in the collateral.

The right to speak isn't freedom from consequences of abusing speech.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Anyone else remember when it used to be ZP and a bunch of cartoons and a couple of live action shows? I wonder if they may go back to that? It would be interesting.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Cyberstrike said:

Why?
Because they're morons.
Speaking for you? Come again? Strawman much? Feeling a bit insecure?

You make it sound like Yathzee and other reviewers are insulting their audience just like Bob does... wich simply isnt true. One is comedy.. and the other are the honest thoughts of someone who really believes in what he says. Bob really wishes for all gamergate supporters to suffer and is okay with all the harassment they get. (remember, there are only wrong targets.. but no wrong tactics)

He supports the harrasment, swatting, doxxing and people getting fired from their jobs aslong as they support Gamergate.

And you dont realize that this could and did reflect badly on the escapist? Just because you personaly dont care for twitter? Who are you? No seriously.. are you someone important? No one gives a damn if you personaly cared or not. Enough people where insulted by his comments.. im afraid you not caring dont count much in this scenario.

Pro tip: Its not his comments about the AAA industry that got him in trouble, it was his comments about the audience and consumers of AAA games and holywood blockbusters and his extremistic faschist rhetoric.

He has no business telling people that they are subhumans just because they like what he doesnt like, and yet he kept going. The escapist did good getting rid of him, as it stands any other company would have kicked him out on the street a long time ago.

Also you can like the games that the AAA industry produces and still critisize their practices...

Jim did an entire video on it but i guess it must have flown under your radar...

And calling people who like things that you dont like morons? My arent we sitting awfully high on that horse arent we?

Also taken out of context? Are you kidding? What about "At this point i djust want the bastards to suffer. Scorched earth. Dont care who hold the rod and why" can be taken out of context? Especialy since the context is that this was a comment about Gamergate..

No my friend.. he rode his own high horse all the way down the tar pit and rightfully got stuck. At this point no one would even want to hire him anymore.. kept for polygon maybe.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Good.
He can go sit in the same toxic trash dump that Extra Credits is in. Seriously there's only two guys who I consider absolute scumbags and it's Moviebob and James Portnow. Hopefully the escapist will get some good content to fill the gap.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Eacaraxe said:
I'll be blunt; I have no sympathy for the man and his termination from Escapist, not with his (utter lack of professional) conduct on Twitter and other social media outlets. I'll be the first person to acknowledge his right to an opinion and voice it, but his bluntless, hyperbole, lack of tact, and general behavior was besmirching Escapist and its reputation, and letting him go was months overdue. He has been for some time at the point of being no different, perhaps even worse, than the poisonous cretins he was trying to criticize, and not just failing but catching a whole lot of uninvolved, moderate, or even nominally allied people in the collateral.

The right to speak isn't freedom from consequences of abusing speech.
The irony here is, Bob proclaims himself to be, "a tireless enemy of censorship", yet he's spent the past 6+ months attempting to silence any dissenting opinions to his own.

Personally, while I can empathize with losing one's livelihood, I have absolutely no sympathy for the man. He's spiteful, hateful, unprofessional, and down-right obnoxious. He routinely talked down to and brutally insulted large portions of the community and the viewership of this site, and his toxic behavior was doing far too much harm to this site and it's reputation.

It's sad he lost his job, but he has only himself to blame. And, despite The Escapist losing yet another core content creator, I can't help but feel that this action will only help in the long run.

That said, I wish him luck in his future endeavors

Jan 12, 2012
Lono Shrugged said:
Nothing worse than getting dumped over Valentine's ouch
I can't believe that it took 324 posts for someone to make this joke.

MarsAtlas said:
Ruh-roh.

@TheEscapistMag [https://twitter.com/sh00ter_d] We are accepting pitches but not adding staff at the time.

— Alexander Macris (@archon) February 13, 2015 [https://twitter.com/archon/status/566363010147844097]

https://twitter.com/archon/status/566363010147844097
I'm not happy to hear that Marter won't be offered a full-time gig, but if we're lucky they'll get some more contractors in to pump out videos and maybe put his stuff on the front page so they can make some real money off of it.

Jacob Wisner said:
http://www.findwebstats.com/escapistmagazine.com
What happened here in December that there was such a drop? I don't remember any drought of content or anything that would have driven people away.

OT: I was thinking that it's been a long time since I read a thread this long all the way through, then I remembered that I did the same thing a few weeks ago during the First Purge of 2015 trying to find out what happened. I admired Bob's work ethic (2 videos, 2 columns, and a ton of news stories) but I'm more concerned with what happens to the Escapist than him. His insight into comics was often quite useful, but I slowly tuned out of his work during GG as I saw how he treated people he disagreed with even when the Escapist tried to help him shrug off hate, to the point where I was checking news story credits before clicking on the link so that I didn't accidentally read his work. With luck this site will fill out the roster again, and things will become more stable.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Noelveiga said:
Well, there goes the last reason I had to come over to the Escapist. You know what? I think that means it's outright time to remove my account altogether.
Yeah I'm probably going to do that too. There is just no personalities or content here now that interests me enough to visit the forums and comment on.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Fuckarchon said:
Fuck the Escapist. Fuck Archon, fuck the way he threw Tito under a bus and fuck all his pandering to Gamergate subhuman scum. Adblock is firmly on and I will use it to enjoy Yahtzee's work until he leaves.

Till then, so long, and fuck off.
Ignoring how salty you are.
How the hell did Archon throw Tito under a bus and pander to GG.
Like giving its supporters chance to speak is pandering now?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
firmicute said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ruh-roh.

There's actually a "Let's Drown Out" that Yahtzee did that ends up with thirty minutes of him and Gabriel railing on SJWs for a lot of how some of the more vocal ones acted in the situation. I haven't followed TB enough to know his stance on the whole debacle, but I'd say the reason why no one got shitty with Yahtzee was because anyone listening to him and Gabriel talk shit for an hour most likely already agrees with him to begin with.

I don't know about TB though, as I don't follow him all that much, but it seems other people have seen him as having a slight hand in GG, just never wanting to say the term itself, probably realizing that there's already too much toxicity towards and from the movement that it's best just to keep the ideas of the movement but drop the name, which is also a smart way to go about it.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
klaynexas3 said:
firmicute said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ruh-roh.

There's actually a "Let's Drown Out" that Yahtzee did that ends up with thirty minutes of him and Gabriel railing on SJWs for a lot of how some of the more vocal ones acted in the situation. I haven't followed TB enough to know his stance on the whole debacle, but I'd say the reason why no one got shitty with Yahtzee was because anyone listening to him and Gabriel talk shit for an hour most likely already agrees with him to begin with.

I don't know about TB though, as I don't follow him all that much, but it seems other people have seen him as having a slight hand in GG, just never wanting to say the term itself, probably realizing that there's already too much toxicity towards and from the movement that it's best just to keep the ideas of the movement but drop the name, which is also a smart way to go about it.
I think Yahtzee disliked SJWs since before the term SJW was coined but he likes to keep his professional work separate and doesn't want to taint it with too much politics (the old adage about politics and religion).

TB has been almost supportive of gamergate and walks closer to the line with his professionalism (occasionally overreacting).