MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
huh, well ...

Just Yahtzee left for 'interesting' (and I use that term loosely at this point) content then ... bummer for the site.

I'm not going anywhere, but I hang out in the Role Play section so I basically make my own fun here with out really needing the sites 'official' content'.

but who we gonna lose next? the 'Unskipable' crew?

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
Lisa going again wasn't good, but it wasn't the first time so it wasn't that bad. Jim leaving hurt, but nothing I couldn't get past. Moviebob getting the boot has me worred. If Yahtzee goes then I doubt I'll be here anymore. I only found this site because of him, so if he suddenly doesn't work here I'm as good as gone.

Well, I guess I'll go from a daily to a weekly visitor.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Never really watched the death of a website before... except maybe MySpace.

Guess this place will just become a shell for cross-posted content from Defy's other ventures. Ciao, Escapists.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I'm not exactly Bob's biggest fan. But it seems to me that The Escapist is bleeding dry of it's content creators and editors of late. The tone of Bob's post on his site strongly implies a firing or layoff. On top of all the other staff that were removed under bitter circumstances this really does not look good.

I hope the remaining staff have some kind of idea for how they are going to keep this place ticking with all these guys gone. ZP and that series that spoofs game cinematics is not going to cut it. It almost feels like that they want to shut it down but don't have the guts to do so. So they gut all the content out and when traffic slows to a crawl they can just say "well, no one is coming here anymore so we might as well shut it down."

We'll see what happens I guess.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Scorpid said:
Does anyone know how exactly you delete your Escapist account anyway?
You "technically" cannot. If you really really really really really really *air breath...really really want to, the staff has that ability to delete accounts if you ask. I'm not 100% if Mods can or if it would have to be staff...

Kick a Mod a PM and ask them first if they can. If they cannot, Ron Whitaker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/ffronw], the new Community Manager, would likely be your best bet. Sorry to see people go but that's what you have to do to completely obliterate your account.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Does anyone know for certain Bob was let go because of his social media antics? That doesn't make sense to me. Because surely whether people come here to complain about him or agree with him its still hits for the escapist.

I enjoyed moviebob's reviews and think pieces. Sad to see him go even if I could't understand his rage sometimes.

Drthewooter

Dec 2, 2012
At least we know that LRR wont be leaving the site now at least.. the amount they make from this site is pittance compared to the money from patron/twitch/wizards, so the only way feed dump being cancelled being a thing is that the escapist feels that the show isn't worth the money.Even then it goes up on youtube hours before and the donors see it the day before..

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Well dang.

Honestly Jim still leaves the biggest loss of them all. He was the only reason for why I joined the forums in the first place. Yahtzee just increasingly bored me with his whole ZP personality and I don't watch enough movies to care about Moviebob. So the only thing I have left IS this forum and even then I'd rather just lurk than post now.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
So I wonder how long until The Escapist flushes Yahtzee? He's basically the only one left at this point. Go ahead, The Escapist, fire all your talent. Chase your readers out the door with a broom. Kill your business model. Because that's how this industry works, right? We the audience are just sheep. You can just make a list of five things with a misleading headline "we won't believe" and we'll keep showing up like idiots and handing you our eyeballs to monetize no matter who writes the content, right? Get the janitor in here to record a podcast. Write a perl script to randomly generate video game reviews. Talent? Fans? Who needs that!?

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
Scorpid said:
You "technically" cannot. If you really really really really really really *air breath...really really want to, the staff has that ability to delete accounts if you ask. I'm not 100% if Mods can or if it would have to be staff...

Kick a Mod a PM and ask them first if they can. If they cannot, Ron Whitaker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/ffronw], the new Community Manager, would likely be your best bet. Sorry to see people go but that's what you have to do to completely obliterate your account.
The closest I've seen to his scenario are simply people asking for permabans (if they are really even permanent since you technically didn't get the boot for breaking rules.) and leaving it at that.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
WarpZone said:
So I wonder how long until The Escapist flushes Yahtzee? He's basically the only one left at this point. Go ahead, The Escapist, fire all your talent. Chase your readers out the door with a broom. Kill your business model. Because that's how this industry works, right? We the audience are just sheep. You can just make a list of five things with a misleading headline "we won't believe" and we'll keep showing up like idiots and handing you our eyeballs to monetize no matter who writes the content, right? Get the janitor in here to record a podcast. Write a perl script to randomly generate video game reviews. Talent? Fans? Who needs that!?
Your assuming that they gave Moviebob the boot and he simply didn't just leave on his own accord due to Patreon being more beneficial or he wanted to move on to something different.

Outside of that this comes off as needlessly antagonistic. Especially when the site itself is going under quite a bit of a management overhaul.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Scorpid said:
If you're serious, then you can request a permaban.

I won't miss Bob, though. He was a total clown. I tolerated him before, but he basically became the comic book guy from Simpsons. He's self righteous, and looked down at games from his high film critic tower, like he was better then everyone just because he worked in a more established medium. He was the perfect ugly storm of pseudo intellectual art film snob and pop fiction fanboy culture all mixed together. He was a man child, and a political demagogue hate mongerer, when he should have been a film critic. He was a cheavinistic pig lacking any human dignity or respect. He was an emotionally stunted misanthropic sewer. His soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots.

*sigh*

That was fun. Hopefully I don't get in too much trouble. I'm glad he's gone, and sincerely hope that he's replaced with more interesting and intelligent providers. The Escapist could use a more positive face change after the last few months. I don't mind people who have differing opinions, I just ask that they conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Fox12 said:
Scorpid said:

I won't miss Bob, though. He was a total clown. I tolerated him before, but he basically became the comic book guy from Simpsons. He's self righteous, and looked down at games from his high film critic tower, like he was better then everyone just because he worked in a more established medium. He was the perfect ugly storm of pseudo intellectual art film snob and pop fiction fanboy culture all mixed together. He was a man child, and a political demagogue hate mongerer, when he should have been a film critic. He was a cheavinistic pig lacking any human dignity or respect. He was an emotionally stunted misanthropic sewer. His soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots.

*sigh*

That was fun. Hopefully I don't get in too much trouble. I'm glad he's gone, and sincerely hope that he's replaced with more interesting and intelligent providers. The Escapist could use a more positive face change after the last few months. I don't mind people who have differing opinions, I just ask that they conduct themselves in a professional manner.
Clearly you are correct with all those unsubstantiated ad hominem attacks.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
If anyone from marketing is reading this you really need to get "I survived the purge" badges to people who are here and posting about a week from now. Also content, but something to convince people that the site isn't dying.

Lovely Mixture said:
Ignoring how salty you are.
How the hell did Archon throw Tito under a bus and pander to GG.
Like giving its supporters chance to speak is pandering now?
Free speech is alright as long as it agrees with the majority, i.e. the American reaction to the early Iraq war.

Or, if you want a more recent example: Washington just before the Seahawks/Packers game

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Scorpid said:
Fox12 said:
Scorpid said:

*sigh*

Clearly you are correct with all those unsubstantiated ad hominem attacks.
I can't help it. He has all the tender sweetness of a sea sick crocodile. Why, between the two of them, I'd choose... The sea sick crocodile!

In any case, I hope the escapist pulls through. Unfortunately I've seen this before. I just hope this doesn't turn into another spill.com. Hey, there's an idea! Get the spill.com crew, escapist! Maybe you can get a few of them in on the action. They're probably scattered to the four winds by now, though.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Dragonbums said:
WarpZone said:
Your assuming that they gave Moviebob the boot and he simply didn't just leave on his own accord due to Patreon being more beneficial or he wanted to move on to something different.

Outside of that this comes off as needlessly antagonistic. Especially when the site itself is going under quite a bit of a management overhaul.
It's on the first page, first post, a link to his blog where he was 'let go': http://moviebob.blogspot.co.il/2015/02/all-good-things.html

Jan 12, 2012
klaynexas3 said:
There's actually a "Let's Drown Out" that Yahtzee did that ends up with thirty minutes of him and Gabriel railing on SJWs for a lot of how some of the more vocal ones acted in the situation...
Which one was that? I must have missed it.

And TotalBiscuit is definitely not staying out of the Responsible Journalism thing. Most recently, there's been Anonymous Biscuit, but he cheerfully does things like rant on Twitter against FemFreq for saying that Dying Light has a Damsel in Distress plot.
rorychief said:
Does anyone know for certain Bob was let go because of his social media antics? That doesn't make sense to me. Because surely whether people come here to complain about him or agree with him its still hits for the escapist.

I enjoyed moviebob's reviews and think pieces. Sad to see him go even if I could't understand his rage sometimes.
I wish I could find it, but somewhere in this thread there's a tweet from Archon (I think) saying that Bob was let go as part of the restructuring.

However, some people think that's fishy given that the 'mass restructuring' happened a few weeks ago for everyone else, that Bob seems entirely surprised about what happened, that Bob has previously had problems handling himself on social media in the way that the Escapist would prefer, and that he had another sizable venting last night. Maybe they were planning on letting him go and this was something that stepped up their time table?

EDIT: Found this on Archon's Twitter: "So "master race" as a joke is offensive because Nazis used it, but "subhuman" as an insult is reasonable even though Nazis used it?"
https://twitter.com/archon/status/565974786740723712

So yeah, looks like the Big Man finally got sick of swatting Bob's nose with the proverbial newspaper and gave him to the pound.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
At the moment, Yahtzee is the only reason I even bother coming to this site. I also agree with pretty much everything Fox12 said about MovieBob.