MovieBob leaving The Escapist

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I feel like as if you ignored the majority of my post and just threw in your own conclusion.

The Escapist would not gain a cent from the extra money. The CM wanted that extra money to be used into Extra Credit's own show... I do not see how that is greed. The only reason why I didn't mention the debt part was because at the time, The Escapist owed multiple people (Lisa, Jim, Yahtzee, ect.) including Extra Credits.

However, before the fundraiser or the incident happened- Portnow actually excused The Escapist with the delayed paycheck, saying how it's all good and everything's forgiven. That they can wait, for the paycheck. But after the fundraiser was when things heated up and suddenly Portnow demanded to keep all the money to themselves for their private indie studio instead of improving their own show. Please tell me how that's personal greed on the Escapist's part?
Well, because delaying the payment of a debt, and writing it off completely, are two different things.

Perhaps it was in bad taste to not offer to repay the Escapist for the things it donated (although if EC had done so, they'd have every right to advertise that The Escapist had withdrawn it's support for the cause), but The Escapist had no rights to the money earned by the fundraiser. If I donate something to an auction, and it suddenly sells for more than I bargained for, I have no rights to the proceeds.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Isn't it a little bit pathetic that, for all his entitlement and self-proclaimed righteousness, all that Bob had going for him was a freelance gig that could end suddenly and unceremoniously just like that? Patreon is without a doubt a sound vehicle to help kickstart independent projects and all that. But to have "The Movie Bob" flee like that and make such a desperate, half-hearted attempt to grab some cash... I dunno. I think the guy loses credibility like that, making vague promises while dissing his former employers in such an immature way.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression Bob doesn't like Yahtzee very much? Every time he brings up "the amazing content producers of The Escapist" he mentions everybody but Yahtzee.
Patreon provides a safe place for these people to make their content strictly in line with their politics and asinine ideologies, free from the influence of an employer. Dissing the employer is only one of the immature and telling things these people constantly do. Their politics and image matters more than their careers, it seems.

None of them seem to care for Yahtzee, as they seem to think he represents a part of the escapist that is undesirable, and must be changed.

There's another cap around where Leigh Alexander says mentions that it would be better to leave places the the escapist and get on Patreon like Lees so "nobody could ever tell them what to do again."

It's laughable. Them not being told what to do is so important. I just don't see how writing for games or movies for that matter conflicts so much that they can't write for a site, and must rely on their echo chamber supporters on patreon.

CerveraFilms

Mar 14, 2010
I was a fan of Movie Bob reviews and the Big Picture, but then he starting to push his agenda so much to the point that was uncanfortable, plus his twitter rants from time to time were pathetic, but then #Gamergate came and everyone lose their minds, look, one thing is to disagree with your audience and their political points of view, other is to use every oportunity to slander that audience, yes Bob, we get it, you like Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu and Zoe Quinn, fine, good for you, can you please stop being so arrogant about it, at the end he paid with his audiance and then with his job, I hope that Anita and Jonathan use some of those 400,000 to sustain Bob, he will needed.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Ishal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Their politics and image matters more than their careers, it seems.
Its almost as if these people have ethical standards for how they're willing to behave.
They have standards allright... but calling them ethical is going a bit far.

Nothing about demanding people to suffer and calling them bastards or using faschist rhetoric is ethical.

Also you might want to remember that leigh alexander outright denied being ethical when she openly stated that nothing she does is unbiased and that she doesnt even attempt to be unbiased.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Ishal said:
Its almost as if these people have ethical standards for how they're willing to behave.
Ethical enough to call people subhuman. As well as a myriad of other vile things.

Yep.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Somebody refusing to abide by certain behaviors because they have moral grievances with it?

Thats the definition of "ethical".

eth·i·cal
ˈeTHək(ə)l/
adjective
of or relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.

Come again? That definition your quoted there has nothing to do with what you just said. Infact ethics means abiding certain standards and guidelines attached to a profession.

But heres the other definition you just happened to forget to add:

2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession:
It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

These people have no standards, they lie, they turn like leaves in the wind when it fits their agenda (moviebob defending Metroid other M calling people racist because japanese culture is different, but then turning around to say anita sarkesian is right in calling japanese video games sexist for example) and they are not afraid of bullying or supporting borderline criminal practices aslong as the people who disagree with them are the target. Leigh alexander openly stated that she enjoys ruining peoples lives if they disagree with her. Infact she stated that she finds it exhilarating to have so much power.

Moviebob, leigh alexander and all the other wannabe "game journalists" have no standards, they have no ethics. They will do and say whatever they can to further their agenda. They will lie, slander and insult whomever disagrees with them.

How is any of this ethical?

You have some very warped idea of what ethics mean.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Ishal said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ishal said:
Ethical enough to call people subhuman. As well as a myriad of other vile things.

Yep.
Would you object to somebody saying nasty things about, say, the Westboro Baptist Church because they're digusted by the groups ideology?
I would, despite having my own strident disagreements with their beliefs.

I would prefer that I, or others, not lower themselves to their level. A concept that seems to be sadly foreign around here. Hate to break it to you, but it's hard to shout down at the unwashed masses when you so eagerly throw yourself in the mud with them.

Even if I were to say those things, I would never say them on social media. And if I did, I would immediately regret it afterward.

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Hard to feel any sympathy for him.

For someone who fancies himself such an enlightened person, the "with me or against me" mentally riddles every fiber of his being.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
Ishal said:
MarsAtlas said:
Ishal said:

Yep.
Odd, recent twitter activity from him points out he feels legitimately regretful for using the terms

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566130641176367104]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566130880763408384]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566131050968281088]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566131431857192960]

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I get the impression Bob doesn't like Yahtzee very much? Every time he brings up "the amazing content producers of The Escapist" he mentions everybody but Yahtzee.
I think one of his Big Pictures mentioned appreciation for being on the same website as Extra Credits and Yahtzee, though for all I know his opinion has wildly changed since then.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Well that's good. For someone who makes a living pointing out connotations (ugh) you would think he was more self aware.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Skatologist said:
Ishal said:
Reality tends to hit home upon reflection, and with likely tons of people, friends, followers, and enemies telling him how bad that was.

Should have happened immediately after he posted it. That statement is not something that you need to time to reflect on. Especially when one cloaks himself in so-called "progressive" ideologies.

It's good that he realizes it, no doubt. But it's one step forward after ten steps back.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Ishal said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Isn't it a little bit pathetic that, for all his entitlement and self-proclaimed righteousness, all that Bob had going for him was a freelance gig that could end suddenly and unceremoniously just like that? Patreon is without a doubt a sound vehicle to help kickstart independent projects and all that. But to have "The Movie Bob" flee like that and make such a desperate, half-hearted attempt to grab some cash... I dunno. I think the guy loses credibility like that, making vague promises while dissing his former employers in such an immature way.

Patreon provides a safe place for these people to make their content strictly in line with their politics and asinine ideologies, free from the influence of an employer. Dissing the employer is only one of the immature and telling things these people constantly do. Their politics and image matters more than their careers, it seems.

None of them seem to care for Yahtzee, as they seem to think he represents a part of the escapist that is undesirable, and must be changed.

There's another cap around where Leigh Alexander says mentions that it would be better to leave places the the escapist and get on Patreon like Lees so "nobody could ever tell them what to do again."

It's laughable. Them not being told what to do is so important. I just don't see how writing for games or movies for that matter conflicts so much that they can't write for a site, and must rely on their echo chamber supporters on patreon.
wow, are they REALLY trash talking yahtzee there??? without him, escapist would have not been nearly the site it is today. way to shoot a gift horse in the mouth.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Skatologist said:
Odd, recent twitter activity from him points out he feels legitimately regretful for using the terms

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566130641176367104]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566130880763408384]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566131050968281088]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/566131431857192960]
Does make me wonder if I misread him. But how in the world would we "know" him? We only know his public face and have no way short of going to school with him to know anything else.

Lots of people say crap on twitter they don't mean.

I guess I'll never know. I seemed to think that Bob would say inflammatory things and then make videos to further back those up. The problem is that he doesn't get it. The problem isn't which insult he used. It's that he used an insult at all to describe people who use the term "master race" to refer to PC gamers because PCs are the untethered all powerful machines that are only limited by funds and not by the confines of someone else's design. It isn't literally like the Aryan race or some nonsense like that.

So he basically decided to insult all pc gamers. Why would he think the problem was just the sort of insult he used rather than the audience he targeted? You don't target gamers if you are employed by a gaming related company.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ishal said:
wow, are they REALLY trash talking yahtzee there??? without him, escapist would have not been nearly the site it is today. way to shoot a gift horse in the mouth.
Well, the gift horse made a pretty level headed response to a moronic article. It just so happened that said response wasn't tacit agreement with the politics of those people. Thus, we see those tweets.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Ishal said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Ishal said:
Well, the gift horse made a pretty level headed response to a moronic article. It just so happened that said response wasn't tacit agreement with the politics of those people. Thus, we see those tweets.
i'm sorry, but i'm not fully aware of what you're talking about here, any chance you could hook me up with some links? someone wrote a stupid article and yahtzee made a calm retort that management lost their shit over? am i understanding that correcty?