movies full of win that noone has seen

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Putney Swope, Brother From Another Planet, The Escape Artist, Ghosts of the Civil Dead.

Sovereign _909

Jul 6, 2010
If you like Weird Al and references to 80's pop culture, do I have a movie for you!

But seriously, I at least, find this movie hilarious and extremely quotable. I am amazed that that I have never run into someone who has seen it as well, it has a good plot, characters are likable and the references never fall flat. If you like Weird Al, this is a must watch.

MindFragged

Apr 2, 2009
the December King said:
Both Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps were fabulous movies! I actually liked Dog Soldiers better than the director's later work, the Descent, but I think I'm in a minority on that one.

As for me, I'd recommend TrollHunter. A giant advertisement for travelling to scenic Northern Europe. With Trolls.
Nah, I actually agree with you on that one. The Descent is good, but I think Dog Soldiers has more charm to it. Doomsday, a more recent film of his, was just so-so though which is a shame I guess.

Troll Hunter is also a good choice :D

EDIT:
elvor0 said:
In Bruges.
Missed you posting this. I concur with this also.

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
Coraline from Henry Selick, a movie adaptation from the book Coraline from Neil Gaiman.
It's kinda Alice in Wonderland meets Nightmare before Christmas
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327597/

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Sovereign _909 said:
If you like Weird Al and references to 80's pop culture, do I have a movie for you!

But seriously, I at least, find this movie hilarious and extremely quotable. I am amazed that that I have never run into someone who has seen it as well, it has a good plot, characters are likable and the references never fall flat. If you like Weird Al, this is a must watch.
UHF is an amazing movie.

Also, Nicolas Cage's Wicker Man is the funniest thing ever.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
I kinda doubt anyone has heard of this movie "Confessions", it's a story about a young highschool teacher taking revenge on her daughters killers, who happen to be her students. This film is unusual in a sense that it doesn't focus on physical violence, but rather on mental. It features a few examples of most brutal mindrape I've ever seen on TV. By the end it's impossible not to feel for those poor little bastards...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Two movies by and starring Takeshi Kitano, a.k.a. the coolest Japanese dude ever.

The score is by Joe Hisaishi, who most of you will know for his work in Ghibli movies.

4nthr4x

Jun 5, 2010
MindFragged said:
Troll Hunter is also a good choice :D
yes, nice one.
for good abscure movies, I sometimes end up watching movies from Scandinavian origin. Never let me down once.

A particular great gem: Dead Snow
nice if you like gore, but combined with plenty of wacky scenes, it becomes an absolute hilarious slaughterfest!
Nazi Zombies, do I need to say more?

Starts off slow, but the pace keeps going and going, right over the top 'till you piss your pants laughing.

I took it with me on a bus trip of our university (23-24 year olds). Everybody gave me that weird 'dafuq' look for the first 30min.
In the end all the guys high-fived, because it was sooo damn sweet :D

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The 1970's Three and Four Musketeers are probably some of the most accurate adaptations of the Dumas Novels put to film and contain some of the most inventive sword fights I've ever seen. They're a little silly but still highly recommended.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
I'd recommend "The Damned United". It's a look at the life of football manager Brian Clough and provides a great look into the psyche of a "win-at-all-costs" coach.

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
I'm gonna go with Serenity. I know that most of geek culture has seen it but in terms of the general public seeing it, it was a flop unfortunately. I love it and it is my favorite movie. But in terms of the geeks on this forum, I want you people to go see Indie Game. It's a documentary about the people that created Fez, Super Meat Boy, and Bastion. Every gamer needs to watch this at least once in order to see the difficulty and business behind indie game development.

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
Well a lot of people are mentioning japanese films so... The Good, The Bad and the Weird would have to be mine. It is truly an awesome film. I'm not sure how under-the-radar it actually was, but I've never heard anyone else mention it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zew2yWGDC8

...awesome film.

Also, for whoever likes horrors, I'd recommend Martyrs. Pretty cool idea, gory as hell and French! (If I remember correctly). It's, like, my favourite horror film after Rec.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Sovereign _909 said:

Seconded. That movie is honestly one of the most hilarious films I have ever seen. Shame it seems only a few dozen people have actually seen it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm sure more people than I have seen this but I feel it doesn't get mentioned as much as it should.

Dead Man. Starring Johnny Depp (pre-Pirates when I feel he was somewhat better as an actor and not watered down) and directed by Jim Jarmusch, it is a great film. It also has a small connection in Jarmusch's film Ghost Dog (another classic). I won't give anything away but its a western movie about a guy named William Blake who gets wounded on his way out to the west. An indian named Nobody (Gary Farmer) finds him and mistakes him for the poet William Blake and patches him up sending him on a journey through a strange land. A cameo by Iggy Pop is awesome and worth watching for, and the movie has numerous William Blake (the poet) quotes all through it. It also has Crispin Glover, another favorite of mine.

If you haven't seen it, do so. Pretty sure its on Netflix Instant queue.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
The Matador. Or as I like to call it, the movie that proves that Pierce Brosnan can indeed act. It's a pretty dialogue-heavy movie, but some of the things that are said are pretty memorable. Most of it is Brosnan talking about the hardships of being an assassin for hire.

Oh and there's a twist at the end.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The Interview, starring Hugo Weaving. Entire movie about an interrogation which leaves you guessing till the end.

Black Dynamite, starring Michael Jai. People may have heard of the animated series, but they NEED to see the movie.

Three movies with Nicholas Cage:
Stolen - Taken except the main characters does everything BUT kill people.
Trespass - Rule of Cage is in full effect in this movie, it's so mediocre but Cage makes it.
The Rock, also with Sean Connery, this movie is actually pretty well known but no one talks about it these days.

ItouKaiji said:
To add a movie to this thread Session 9 is one of the best atmospheric, psychological movies I've ever seen and no one has seen it. It's a real shame. It depends on a cast of good actors, there no real special effects. Just a spooky story told in a scary way with good actors to convey the horror of it all. If you like horror movies, especially ones with psychological elements then you should check this one out.
Yeah Session 9 is severely under appreciated. From reading about it, you'd expect a generic horror film; but it's more unique than that.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Since this is a gaming website final fantasy's advent children may not be all that obscure but in general popular culture it sure as hell is so that's my entry.

I hear it gets slammed for a poor story and a reckless disregard for the laws of physics. But I personally never played ff7 so I didn't get the story anyway and the physics thing actually makes sense to me: you're making a movie about a bunch of relatively ordinary people, who by the end of the original game had demi-god level powers. What they do in the movie is really no crazier than the game.
So in other words: probably not a thinking man's movie. But if you're just in it for some physics defying combat, hoooo boy does it deliver! I mean there's swordfights on motorcycles. Swordfights. On. Motorcycles.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdKbNuhXWvQ

Donnie darko, One of my favourites, a cult classic

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
elvor0 said:
In Bruges.

Probably not as obscure as some films I suspect people will come up with, but it is a great film, starring Colin Farrell (Seriously, he's really good in this film, enough for me to forgive him being in Total Recall), Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fines. If you've seen Seven Psychopaths, a more recent and publicized film, it's the same director.

You go in expecting your typical "British" style gangster movie, but what you get is a really touching story, with some great themes, visual flair and great laughs with some excellent characters. If it matters to anyone, Roger Ebert gave it a four out of four star review, and that dude is hard to please.

Go, go watch it. The trailer really doesn't do it justice.
Absolutely incredible movie for several reasons, including but by no means limited to:
The three main actors all being incredible
Soundtrack (Der Leiermann springs to mind)
Surprisingly laugh-out-loud
Beautifully held balance between humour and genuinely touching moments
'YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT!'
A few moments later: 'I'm sorry I called you an inanimate object, darling..'

Lovely Mixture said:
Black Dynamite, starring Michael Jai. People may have heard of the animated series, but they NEED to see the movie.
AND YES. Watched it with a friend, neither of us with any idea what we were getting into and it is just brilliant.

OT: If anyone likes martial arts movies with appallingly brilliantly terrible special effects, I recommend Storm Warriors. (I think that was what it was called... or maybe Warriors was the sequel. I forget. Either way, the first one in that series is worth watching.)