Movies that don't age well

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
anything nicholas cage has done within the past 5 or 6 years ,with a few acceptions of course, but come on nicky... stop over-compensating (sp?)

Rabarberskurk

Mar 31, 2010
clipse15 said:
Lukeje said:
The CGI in the `remastered' Star Wars films has aged terribly. Why couldn't he have just let things be?!
Are you kidding me? Have you seen the remastered Empire Strikes Back? It looks fucking pristine.
Depends what version. I think there were two or more remasterings of the old Star Wars trilogy, and the first remastering really hasn't aged well.

Then again I think neither of the remasterings, nor the prequels have aged well because of their overuse of CGI and blue screens over props that were actually there in front of the camera.

And while we're on the subject of movies that don't age well: Comedies or other genres that rely too much on pop-culture references.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Use to really love Space Jam as a kid... now... eh...

I should really get around to watching TMNT: Secret Of THe Ooze again. I loved that film as a child, all of it including Vanilla Ice. I wonder how much I'd like it today.
all it took was you mentioning secret of the ooze and now i'ma go crazier every hour till i watch it. i'm a total geek so it was an instant classic to me :D

Sep 14, 2009
Jason Danger Keyes said:
Audiences of the 1910 Frankenstein literally fled the theatres in terror. These days there's more violent and disturbing imagery in children's breakfast cereal commercials.
was about to agree to this kind of stuff, most "horror" movies in from 1910-1980~ish are utter shit, a good 99% of them i have watched i'm either laughing from how fucking bad/pathetic it is, or I'm bored because it's not even interesting.

honestly our fucking ancestors were such panzy asses when it came to horror movies..

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Just about everything with gratuitous, obvious CG. It just looks unnatural...
I'm going to go with this. CG doesn't age well at all. Practical effects work well and age well because those objects were there. For example, the effects in the original Star Wars movie can trump quite a few in the newer movies, specially when it comes to the vehicles. When they added in the new CG, it creates a very jarring image.

I don't think this is going to be as much as a problem these days or in a couple years as the CG tech is starting to get much better and things tend to look a whole lot more photo-realistic. However movies made with CG in its infancy like in the 90's, yeah they age really poor because of it.

Though even as CG is become more photo realistic and seamless... I still prefer practical effects over CG and this is coming from an hobbies CGA.

Sadly seems I've had a bit of a mind blank at the moment. Though I imagine that if I really thought about it, I could probably name quite a few. Specially those with the over reliance on early CG.

I'm tempted to say the mummy series. Though some of the effects aren't the worse I've seen, there's a good amount of effect that just look jarring today. The second one gets special mention for the Scorpion King that looks like he's walked straight out of a PS2 game... Though that effect looked awful even at the time so I don't know if that counts.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
bulldogftw said:
Verlander said:
Clockwork Orange. For something set in the "future" it looks very 60's...
Where do you live? I ask because i want to beat you up give you flowers.
OT: Any Syfy original movie.
London, which is where it's (sort of) set. I walk around the city everyday, and the film has aged so badly. Also, it's nowhere near as good as the book, but that's another story. It's a shame it got released (IMO)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Well, there's a difference between a movie not aging well, and tastes simply changing. Take something like The Lawnmower Man or Lord of Illusions, and the CGI simply looks awful, though at the time it was fairly amazing. Counter that with lots of films made in the 70s, which typically had a slower pace than modern movies. The films themselves aren't bad, but tastes have changed to the point where we expect snappier pacing.

Then there's personal taste. I adored Labyrinth when I was younger, but it's pretty hard to take now. The muppetry is still great, but I have to fast forward through the musical numbers and a lot of the intro.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Its not a movie, but the William Shatner episode of the Twilight Zone aged horibly, I'm pointing this out because alot of the other episodes, even the ones with heavy make up like Eye of the Beholder, have aged really well, but this one episode just feels silly if you watch it now.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Well, there's a difference between a movie not aging well, and tastes simply changing. Take something like The Lawnmower Man or Lord of Illusions, and the CGI simply looks awful, though at the time it was fairly amazing. Counter that with lots of films made in the 70s, which typically had a slower pace than modern movies. The films themselves aren't bad, but tastes have changed to the point where we expect snappier pacing.

Then there's personal taste. I adored Labyrinth when I was younger, but it's pretty hard to take now. The muppetry is still great, but I have to fast forward through the musical numbers and a lot of the intro.
You have a point. I'd argue that films like The Empire Strikes Back and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are still very enjoyable films today. Even thought their effects aren't amazing nowadays, their characters, settings, and the dialogue still makes it fun to watch. I don't know if my new adult tastes make me not like some my old, childhood favorites, since I tend to still like childhood favs nowadays and just treat them as campy.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Star Wars. All of em.

They were entirely too long, the narrative was not interesting, and for all the praise it got for being action packed, the action was really, really bad. A lightsaber touches you, and you disappear, only leaving your clothes? Really?

They sucked. There I said it.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
bahumat42 said:
thecoreyhlltt said:
anything nicholas cage has done within the past 5 or 6 years ,with a few acceptions of course, but come on nicky... stop over-compensating (sp?)
That man is owed a punch in the face for that awful reboot/remake of the Wicker Man.

Nicolas having his legs broken while the camera is off screen is one of the most shockingly/intentionality funny things I have seen outside Yoda bouncing around with his lightsaber.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
supermariner said:
Taxi Driver
i was born a good 25 years after it was made
so never understood the society in which it was set
so it hasnt aged well in that its horrific climax which shocked audiences of the time are commonplace now and are a lot more gruesome in all modern action films
Whoa. Step off! Taxi Driver is a damn good film, aged or not! I only saw it a year or so ago and still thought it was brilliant, despite not being all that shocked by the climax.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Just about every comedy I saw during the early to mid 90s (short of maybe Bill and Ted).
And of course, if I ever feel like artificially aging a year for no good reason, I'll watch Titanic.

pspman45 said:
The Room
wait, that was never good
That movie becomes more hilarious every time I watch it.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Malfy said:
Ever watched a movie from your childhood, or beyond that, that is beloved by most people? Or that cult classic that your friends and/or family seem to harp on about? Ever feel guilty for watching that same movie, and not liking it at all?

I just watched E.T. for the first time ever. I found Elliot whiny, most of the scenes boring, non-interesting characters, and the most drawn-out ending I've seen since Return of The King. But that's just me.

Any other personal examples?
Personally, I think the movie The Iron Giant was better than ET at telling the same story and was better in general both when it came out and has also aged better in the time since.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
I'll probably be cruxified for saying this but: the first three Star Wars.
Now that the FX (and action scenes) aren't impressive, they're just dull movies, with dull characters, poor story telling, plot holes and incoherences everywhere; the mysticism-coss-scifi doesn't work that well, and by themselves, the scifi is nonesense (the imperial walkers, for instance, seem to be specifically desgined to stumble) and the mystic part is poor, like really really poor.
To me, they're Transformers movies from the 80's.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
omegawyrm said:
Malfy said:
Ever watched a movie from your childhood, or beyond that, that is beloved by most people? Or that cult classic that your friends and/or family seem to harp on about? Ever feel guilty for watching that same movie, and not liking it at all?

I just watched E.T. for the first time ever. I found Elliot whiny, most of the scenes boring, non-interesting characters, and the most drawn-out ending I've seen since Return of The King. But that's just me.

Any other personal examples?
Personally, I think the movie The Iron Giant was better than ET at telling the same story and was better in general both when it came out and has also aged better in the time since.
Yes! I didn't even realize Iron Giant is basically the same movie, trade giant mech for alien. It was much better than ET.