Movies that were BETTER then the Books

ginty2

The Shadow Premier
Dec 16, 2008
the sum of all fears. although i think both the movie and book versions were very good, the movie wins out because you don't have to endure the clancy tedium. besides liev schriber as clark was a good move.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Scabadus said:
Pride and Prejudice. I'll wait for your double take to subside... there we go. Perhaps a surprising choice, but let me explain: when I fell asleep reading the book (English coursework, I had to) I had to pick up from where I left off. When I gave up on the book and watched the film to try and get the story and also fell asleep watching that, it was over when I woke up. So, simple logic, the less time I had to spend enduring that excuse for classic literature, the better.
The new one with Knightly?
I loved the movie, but the slaughtered some on the main points of the book and over romantized to make it more lovey dovey and appealing to modern audiences.

I'm personally an Austen fan and Bronte fan lol

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was adapted from the 3rd VHD novel, 'Demon Deathchase'. The book was a fairly pointless cross-country ramble where a bunch of unlikeable and often outright ridiculous characters chase and fight each other and it all ends in an arbitrary slaughter which makes the entire story effectively meaningless. The movie strengthens certain weaker aspects of the plot (the Meier/Charlotte romance- Charlotte didn't even get a NAME in the book), rejigs a few of the characters to make them cooler and more likeable (the Marcus Brothers, the Barberois), adds a proper antagonist to give the film a proper climax and changes the pointless and depressing ending into one which was still sad but undeniably cool. The result...
...is probably my favourite action movie of all time.

micky

Apr 27, 2009
i am legend...HA! just kidding! that movie was total shite! i cant think of any right now

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
holyshit I can believe I haven't got slaughtered about my opinion of the LotR, and that people actually agree yahhhh! lmao

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
The list is very short, and all have been mentioned. Hollywood is into their massacre...

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
SmartIdiot said:
A Clockwork Orange. There was nothing wrong with the book by any means, however the nadsat dialogue was used a lot more and often the plot flow would be broken up by constantly having to flip to the translation section at the back. Whereas watching the film you start to get used to what the different slang words mean after about half an hour. Plus it was directed by Stanley Kubrick so... well it speaks for itself.
Agree. Reading that book was hard work, and the movie excellent.

I found Trainspotting similar, the movie was better and dropped some of the nastier stuff in the book

Crosshead

Aug 24, 2009
"The Princess Bride" comes to mind, actually. The book is a lot of fun, but lacks the charm of the film.

I am sure there are more, and will post them as I think of them..

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
I'm going to have to add my vote to LotR. Honestly, shittiest piece of literature I've ever slogged through. It came greatly recommended decades ago to me from my parents (both have the collector's, red leather version)... and I honestly enjoyed the appendices better than the actual story. The Silmarillion was better.. and that was 'mythology'. :( At least the movies were awesome.

I will never understand anyone who says Tom Bombadil is an awesome character. Ever. Maybe if you're high while reading it. Blegh. Incredibly dry, boring fiction.

Crosshead

Aug 24, 2009
Aha! "Let the right one in."

Well, I thought it was better anyway. Clearer, and boosted by performances from great child actors.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
anyone else see the slight irony in simple grammar errors - that would likely originate from someone who hears words more than they read them - in a post title that gives the impression the author may like movies more than books?

don't get me wrong, I is terrible in grammar. Also, I've never really read a book in my life (not something i'm proud of) so I couldn't really comment.

johnfistyadams

Sep 30, 2009
I liked how A Clockwork Orange ended with the possibility of him going on a rampage rather than just growing up and wanting to have a family in the book. I understand that this a had a point and meaning to the author, but I still would rather it have ended on a bad note.

TheSquirrelisKing

Mar 23, 2010
michiehoward said:
holyshit I can believe I haven't got slaughtered about my opinion of the LotR, and that people actually agree yahhhh! lmao
Personally, I read the entire LotR trilogy by the time I was 11. It was REALLY hard, especially with my ADHD, took me forever...about a year. That being said, I found the movies very approachable, faithful to the original narrative, and entertaining. I missed small details, like Tom Bombadill, but I can understand their exclusion from the movies.
Is the movie better...eh. I think it is dependent on what you're looking for, and I'm certainly not going to rip on someone's opinion on this subject.
I'm honestly having a hard time thinking of a "movie was better" example. Really the best I can think of at the moment is Pokemon. Not a fan of the manga, the movies were...less than ok, but better than the manga IMO. ...Really digging to the bottom of the barrel for that example...

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
I really have yet to read a book and see a movie and think that the movie was somehow better.

obviously some of the visuals in the films have been better then some of the places i visualize while reading, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. I would say easier to sit through, but not better.

The only thing that would be close is fight club. but again i think this is less for plot and more for accessibility, the book was a bit too frantic at times.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
Titus (1999)

from Titus Andronicus by Shakespeare. It was a weird, violent Shakespeare play that somehow worked really well as a movie.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Scabadus said:
Pride and Prejudice. I'll wait for your double take to subside... there we go. Perhaps a surprising choice, but let me explain: when I fell asleep reading the book (English coursework, I had to) I had to pick up from where I left off. When I gave up on the book and watched the film to try and get the story and also fell asleep watching that, it was over when I woke up. So, simple logic, the less time I had to spend enduring that excuse for classic literature, the better.
I was going to say something of the sorts. Also, Great Expectations. Our class just had to kill time after exams, so we were advised to try these books, and we watched the movies. I read 25 pages of Great Expectations, refused to pick up Pride And Prejudice. We had to watch both the movies, and it was much easier to multi-task, i.e. Laugh at the emo Mr Darcy guy with my friends...

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I really don't read books of movies I like, because most of the time it completely ruins the movie for me (See: The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy).
If I had to choose, I'd say LotR. It was just a lot more accessible than the HUGE book(s).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
PhiMed said:
mrdotcom1 said:
I think Jurassic Park was a way better movie than the book was. I remember trying to read it when I was a kid and thought it was not fun to read it.
I would recommend reading it again. The reason you didn't enjoy it as a child is because, unlike the movie, it isn't for kids. None of Crichton's stuff is for kids, for that matter.
I did read it when I was about 11 or something, and I freaking loved it. Especially the nitty gritty violence and gore.

OT: I can't really think of a movie that did a better job than the book. I think the best an adaptation can do is show you the story in a different way. Or atleast, that's what it should do. Both the LoTR and Watchmen movies did certain things better than their book-counterparts and vice versa.