Movies that will never be bad

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
So this is a fun one. At least I hope its fun. Basically what movies do you like that people will be incapable of convincing you they are out right bad even if the general consensus is that they sucked. The reason I decided to do this is because between the Matrix, Indiana Jones 4, and the Star Wars prequels I've found myself in that kind of scenario. So yeah for me personally no one will convince me that the two Matrix sequels, Indiana Jones 4, and the Star Wars prequels are bad movies.

This is not a guilty pleasure. Something you enjoy ironically. Rather something you legitimately enjoy and don't think its bad. Even though the masses might say otherwise.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yah! Time to tell everyone why they're wrong :D

The Boondock Saints 2: This isn't quite a mass-hated movie but a lot of fans of the original hated it. A very fun and stylistic movie that I loved.

Matrix Trilogy: Like many, I was confused about what the hell happened to The Matrix. Then, a few years ago, I watched all three in a row on a day. A LOT of what was confusing and didn't make sense became clear once I saw them for the second time in a row.

Battleship [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.400271-Battleship-Popcorn-flick-or-brilliant-satire#16444032]: ...alright, not really but only kind of just so I can break out my conspiracy theory again :D I didn't hate it so I'm counting it dang it!

Sucker Punch: That additional scene added to the DVD/Blu-Ray I think completely changes the movie. Unfortunately, most people who saw the movie saw it in theater (the scene was not included to keep the movie from having a R rated...something I STILL don't understand since there is nothing naughty about the scene)

...did people hate Scott Pilgrim Versus the World? It doesn't have a great imdb/metacritic score so I'll include it because it's one of my favorite movies ever. Hilarious and incredibly entertaining.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's funny when we adjudicate a negative opinion to "the masses", as if Star Wars of all things needs to be defended. Revenge of the Sith made 850 MILLION on an 1/8th budget. Never mind if it was good or bad - I'd say the MASSES fucking LOVED that movie. Hell, Phantom Menace made over a BILLION. It's not an acquired taste, it's fucking Star Wars. I'll attack it as much as I want. If someone thinks they're in the minority because they liked those movies, think again. Star Wars is about as popular as breathing.

Now about "movies that will never be bad" - any cult classic that has been legitimized as good by the criticism. Citizen Kane will never be bad. Never mind if I like it or not, it cannot be bad AT THIS POINT because so many critics have jerked off to that movie. Idem Casablanca, Space Odyssey, Godfather, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Raging Bull, E.T., Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction and Lord of the Rings. These movies canonized themselves as "good" and nothing's taking that away from them.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's funny when we adjudicate a negative opinion to "the masses", as if Star Wars of all things needs to be defended. Revenge of the Sith made 850 MILLION on an 1/8th budget. Never mind if it was good or bad - I'd say the MASSES fucking LOVED that movie. Hell, Phantom Menace made over a BILLION. It's not an acquired taste, it's fucking Star Wars. I'll attack it as much as I want. If someone thinks they're in the minority because they liked those movies, think again. Star Wars is about as popular as breathing.

Now about "movies that will never be bad" - any cult classic that has been legitimized as good by the criticism. Citizen Kane will never be bad. Never mind if I like it or not, it cannot be bad AT THIS POINT because so many critics have jerked off to that movie. Idem Casablanca, Space Odyssey, Godfather, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Raging Bull, E.T., Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction and Lord of the Rings. These movies canonized themselves as "good" and nothing's taking that away from them.
This wasn't the point of the thread at all. I'm not defending movies. I've just run into some people that have said there are certain movies that they will never be convinced they are bad even mass public opinion says otherwise. So I ask you. What movies do you find personal enjoyment out of that people will never be able to convince you they are bad.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
KazeAizen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

This wasn't the point of the thread at all. I'm not defending movies. I've just run into some people that have said there are certain movies that they will never be convinced they are bad even mass public opinion says otherwise. So I ask you. What movies do you find personal enjoyment out of that people will never be able to convince you they are bad.
Okey dokey.

Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans. Everybody hated the movie, because it was a remake, because it had Nic Cage in it, because it was too farsical, because WTF iguanas. I saw it at the theater and liked it a lot; I saw it again on TV and liked it a lot. I think it's a great take of the cop drama genre and Nic Cage is perfectly cast as an over-the-top tough guy.

The Dark Knight Rises. Everybody keeps treating it like the idiot brother of an otherwise terrific series. Like it was a big disappointment. It wasn't to me. Sure enough, I found myself not "liking it as much" at the beginning. But over time it's grown on me. I quote the characters. I hum the music. I remember the scenes. I wanna see it again. As an epic, sweeping crime drama it was great.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
KazeAizen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Okey dokey.

Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans. Everybody hated the movie, because it was a remake, because it had Nic Cage in it, because it was too farsical, because WTF iguanas. I saw it at the theater and liked it a lot; I saw it again on TV and liked it a lot. I think it's a great take of the cop drama genre and Nic Cage is perfectly cast as an over-the-top tough guy.

The Dark Knight Rises. Everybody keeps treating it like the idiot brother of an otherwise terrific series. Like it was a big disappointment. It wasn't to me. Sure enough, I found myself not "liking it as much" at the beginning. But over time it's grown on me. I quote the characters. I hum the music. I remember the scenes. I wanna see it again. As an epic, sweeping crime drama it was great.
I've heard of Port of Call New Orleans and that Nick Cage is absolutely insane in it. I've never seen it though and it sounds like a lot of fun.

The Dark Knight Rises: You get an imaginary cookie from me for making my day. :) It seemed to be one of those movies people rave about for the first week and then they suddenly turn on it. Either way I'm with you. I fucking love that movie.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
i'll go ahead and disagree with "the masses". Dark knight Rises was a good film, and I loved Tom Hardy's Bane. Why? Because the other comic version of Bane just doesn't translate well. The movie wrapped up with "revelations" and a degree of realism (Batman is beat the fuck up and really almost unable to continue being the Bat, and therefore hands over the reigns to "Robin"). Sure the "nuke" thing and some other issues were present but then movie logic never has to make sense. 10 minutes in movie time can take an hour.

I'll also agree on the Port of Call: New Orleans movie... I actually love Nic Cage as an actor, because I think he knows he doesn't always do great movies and does it for fun. And I give the guy credit for changing his name so he didn't get instant "I'm a Coppola" recognition. Plus the movie was actually fun... and fucked up.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
I'm going to have to go with the Tron remake. For some reason I always enjoy watching that one and I really enjoyed it in the theatre. The first one wasn't really that great of a movie outside of a pretty cool concept. Maybe I just had better measured expectations, but in general I was quite entertained and really enjoyed the visuals.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I could probably list quite a few, but I'll keep it short.

The most recent example is Tron Legacy.

Now, here's the thing: I know it was bad. I freely admit that it was bad. I even make a point of saying it was bad when the film is brought up.

However, I loved the hell out of that movie. It easily made it's way onto my top ten list of my favorite films ever. And, no matter how "bad" someone tries to tell me it is, or how "dumb" they say I am for liking it, I won't change my mind.

Jace1709

Apr 9, 2010
I'll go with Fantastic 4, i know it wasn't faithful to the comics, i know it was miscast, i know a lot of the acting was poor, but i think its just a hulking pile of FUN.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
...did people hate Scott Pilgrim Versus the World? It doesn't have a great imdb/metacritic score so I'll include it because it's one of my favorite movies ever. Hilarious and incredibly entertaining.
Yup. It's fucking awful.

Mind you I'm biased from having read the (wildly superior) books it was based on first, so I spent 90% of the time outraged at the shitty translation of the material from book to screen.

Edgar Wright hasn't done much to get excited about since Hot Fuzz, frankly. Pilgrim is by far his worst movie. I find its mild cult popularity incredibly aggravating.

OT: I dunno. I like some pretty bad movies, but I'll happily admit they're bad. They're just guilty pleasures.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
trty00 said:
amaranth_dru said:
i'll go ahead and disagree with "the masses". Dark knight Rises was a good film, and I loved Tom Hardy's Bane. Why? Because the other comic version of Bane just doesn't translate well. The movie wrapped up with "revelations" and a degree of realism (Batman is beat the fuck up and really almost unable to continue being the Bat, and therefore hands over the reigns to "Robin"). Sure the "nuke" thing and some other issues were present but then movie logic never has to make sense. 10 minutes in movie time can take an hour.

I'll also agree on the Port of Call: New Orleans movie... I actually love Nic Cage as an actor, because I think he knows he doesn't always do great movies and does it for fun. And I give the guy credit for changing his name so he didn't get instant "I'm a Coppola" recognition. Plus the movie was actually fun... and fucked up.
You realize that both of those movies recieved positive reviews and are generally regarded as quite good, right? Where is this belief that people think they're crap coming from? TDKR has an 88% on RT with both critics and audiences, and Warner Herzog's Bad Lieutenant is generally considered a step up from the original (which is a massively overrated film IMO only truly notorious for having Harvey Keitel nude). I don't get it.

As for me, I can't really think of any movie I've seen that's generally accepted to be bad, and yet I think is good. I don't think Spiderman 3 is absolutely atrocious, and Only God Forgives is pretty divisive and I thought it was really good. Does that count?
Yeah that counts. I never really see too many people saying positive things about Spider-man 3 and it does seem to be one of those movies where its like. The director made these really good movies...and this one that didn't happen at all.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
I'm gonna go ahead and say it: I unironically love the first Transformers movie. It was a fun film. I genuinely enjoyed watching it. And while the sequels were pretty bleh, they didn't offend me with awfulness. At worst they were just dumb and kind of annoying, and even then they had their bright spots.

So there.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Rashomon, The Seven Samurai... and, oh, Casablanca.

Those are some timeless movies, right there. Saw them a few years ago, and they're captivating.
Also, Seven Samurai has a built-in intermission! More movies could use that. XD

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Kingdom of Heaven. Sure, Orlando Bloom has the acting ability of toilet paper and the plot kind of wonks and cronks around, but it has phenomenal visuals (seriously, that movie is pure eye candy, and very little of it is CGI), Liam Neeson, some truly spectacular battle scenes, and the story touches on surprisingly deep themes. It has faults, but no one will ever get me to say it's outright bad.

Titanic. I know it's a universally loved movie, but I've seen quite many critics be pretty harsh on it. As retardedly sentimental as it might get, it still gets a reaction out of me, plus the whole sinking sequence is pure, claustrophobic, piss-your-pants panicky terror from beginning to end.

Crank 2. Neveldine and Taylor's movies aren't Oscar material, but Crank 2 is pure, adrenaline-fueled, madcap fun all the way through. The only more insane movie I've seen is End of Evangelion, and that's not even close to being as good.
KazeAizen said:
So this is a fun one. At least I hope its fun. Basically what movies do you like that people will be incapable of convincing you they are out right bad even if the general consensus is that they sucked. The reason I decided to do this is because between the Matrix, Indiana Jones 4, and the Star Wars prequels I've found myself in that kind of scenario. So yeah for me personally no one will convince me that the two Matrix sequels, Indiana Jones 4, and the Star Wars prequels are bad movies.

This is not a guilty pleasure. Something you enjoy ironically. Rather something you legitimately enjoy and don't think its bad. Even though the masses might say otherwise.
Wait, you honestly mean ALL the Star Wars prequels? Including Phantom Menace and that crock of horseshit Attack of the Clones? Watch Redlettermedia's review of Phantom Menace, and then think again. Just throwing it out there.

And what the hell do you find to be good about Sucker Punch? I'm sorry if I sound hostile, but it just baffles me that much.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I will second the Hulk with eric bana. It is pretty good, I don't know what the fuss is about. The only thing is that the villain is kinda meh.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
bartholen said:
Kingdom of Heaven. Sure, Orlando Bloom has the acting ability of toilet paper and the plot kind of wonks and cronks around, but it has phenomenal visuals (seriously, that movie is pure eye candy, and very little of it is CGI), Liam Neeson, some truly spectacular battle scenes, and the story touches on surprisingly deep themes. It has faults, but no one will ever get me to say it's outright bad.

Titanic. I know it's a universally loved movie, but I've seen quite many critics be pretty harsh on it. As retardedly sentimental as it might get, it still gets a reaction out of me, plus the whole sinking sequence is pure, claustrophobic, piss-your-pants panicky terror from beginning to end.

Crank 2. Neveldine and Taylor's movies aren't Oscar material, but Crank 2 is pure, adrenaline-fueled, madcap fun all the way through. The only more insane movie I've seen is End of Evangelion, and that's not even close to being as good.
KazeAizen said:

Wait, you honestly mean ALL the Star Wars prequels? Including Phantom Menace and that crock of horseshit Attack of the Clones? Watch Redlettermedia's review of Phantom Menace, and then think again. Just throwing it out there.

And what the hell do you find to be good about Sucker Punch? I'm sorry if I sound hostile, but it just baffles me that much.
That's the reason I did this thread. I was just hoping people wouldn't start attacking or getting into arguments and such. Yes I mean all the Star Wars prequels. I enjoyed them growing up and I still enjoy them. Redlettermedia's review of the Phantom Menace should be used for other things then speed dial for pissed off Star Wars fans. I can't explain it. I just enjoy all those movies and there is nothing anyone can do or say that makes me think they are bad or lessen my enjoyment of them. That's the point of all this.