Movies & TV Jokes Thread

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You know if Barbie does do well, I wouldn't discount the idea of Barney getting a film in the same style as Clifford or something.
I'm really struggling to understand who this Barbie movie is for, or why it's being so hyped up. I mean, clearly they're going for the absurd with all the pink and ridiculous rendition of the classic doll's style and whatnot, but from what I understand from seeing the theatrical trailer about 3 times (because God hates me, and won't let me enjoyed the featured film without making me squirm first,) in the film, Barbie and Ken come into the "real" world, and a classic "fish our of water" adventure ensues. So is this for kids who're into Barbie today, or is it for nostalgic adults? Ugh...

I guess it's a bit of hypocritical sentiment given I'm a grown man who flocked to the theater to see Spider-Man (2002), my own childhood hero brought to life, but I guess the difference there is that there're a stories and characters there. I could be wrong, but I don't think Barbie even has a story let alone any character outside of the minds of the children who play with it; they invented all of it for this over-the-top film that apparently "someone" wants to see.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Probably me. Don't know. Most of what I hear about it amuses me.
All I see is a senseless pandering to dated popular culture that's about as willfully two-dimensional as could possibly be. I'm all about some dumb fun, but when you breach boundaries into "acute, condescending insipidness," you've lost your pass with me. If you or anyone actually pays to see this and enjoys it, I'm happy for you. I won't be picketing in front of any theaters or anything so dramatic, but I will question the future of our species. (<- that's hyperbole, btw. I can quietly hate a thing without making a stink outside of my own mind.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably me. Don't know. Most of what I hear about it amuses me.
All I see is a senseless pandering to dated popular culture that's about as willfully two-dimensional as could possibly be. I'm all about some dumb fun, but when you breach boundaries into "acute, condescending insipidness," you've lost your pass with me. If you or anyone actually pays to see this and enjoys it, I'm happy for you. I won't be picketing in front of any theaters or anything so dramatic, but I will question the future of our species. (<- that's hyperbole, btw. I can quietly hate a thing without making a stink outside of my own mind.)

I have no interest in seeing this, but more power people that want to. If I did, it would mainly just be for Margot Robbie herself. Ryan Gosling is cool too, but I never would have suspected either of them to be playing Barbie and Ken respectively.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

I have no interest in seeing this, but more power people that want to. If I did, it would mainly just be for Margot Robbie herself. Ryan Gosling is cool too, but I never would have suspected either of them to be playing Barbie and Ken respectively.
To be fair, NOBODY needed to play Barbie and Ken in any feature-length respect. This has all the trappings of a made-for-TV or direct-to-DVD outing, and anyone could have filled those roles.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I mean I found out Al Pacino is expecting a child this year with his girlfriend. So yeah, push THAT boat out.
1689683601173.png

It's funny because it's multilayered. Because these people are really, really old. Like dinosaurs.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Top comment -

@magatrone100 6 years ago
It's actually weird how Jimmy Carr makes a joke and actually stares at the person as if consuming the laughter as nutrients.