Movies/TV series that made you cry?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
So has there ever been a moment in TV or in a film that really made you cry?

Toy Story 3's ending had me bawling like a baby. It was probably because Toy Story 1 was basically my favorite movie as a kid, and seeing Andy hesitate at giving Woody away just really hit me hard. I spent the next 2 hours curled in the foetal position on my bed :(

Also Forrest Gump. Yeah it's easy to make fun of him at surface level, but if you really watch it you can sympathise. The bit where
Jenny dies and Forrest just breaks down in tears at the grave is just too much man.

I mean he's been pretty happy most of the movie and it's what we're used to, but this scene is just.... D:

Dec 10, 2012
Field of Dreams is great for a cry. I've probably seen it six or seven times, and Every. Single. Time. I reach the end, I can't hold in those tears.

It's something to do with the tragic father-son relationship that gets to me. Any media that delves into father issues like this can get my tear ducts running. For example, in How I Met Your Mother when Barney reconnects with his real father after 30 years. The climax of that episode is just so emotional and effective; a comedy should not have that kind of power over my feels.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
It doesn't really matter which movie or tv series it is, I've got a real hard time trying to hold in the tears.

The only two I can remember right now are two really obvious ones.
Futurama - Jurassic Bark & Firefly - The Message (and possibly Heart of Gold)

Hmmm..nope..Can't remember anymore right now.
(reserved memory space)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm pretty easy to make cry. In fact I would almost go as far as to say that if something doesn't make me cry with its story it has kind of failed to impress.

Anyway, since i'm not into films or TV i'll throw two Visual Novels and an anime at you.

1. Michiru's backstory/the last third of her route in general in Grisaia no Kaijutsu. Her route has a strong as hell anti-suicide message and I suppose it would resonate pretty hard for some people. Best VN i've ever played and it will very well stay that way for a long time. Or until the sequel gets translated.

2. Obligatory Hanako Route mention in Katawa Shoujo, which you all should have at least heard of by now. I only had a tear in my eye at the end though so it may have been slightly disappointing in a way

3. The ending to Kill la Kill and i'll level with you I get a bit misty eyed whenever they go all heavy on the synchronicity between Ryouko and Senketsu. Which is all the fuckin' time. I can't help it, I have a high sense of empathy towards everything and two people being as close as they are really gets to me. See also Persona 4.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Naruto
Fist of the North Star
Samurai X OVAs (I cried a lot when I first watched them)
Grave of the fireflies (If you don't then you're not a human being)
Kare Kano (His and Her's Circumstances) It did quite a bit!
Kikaider and OVAs
The Devil Lady
Heroic Age
Blue Gender
Blue Sub 6
Saber Marionette R
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 (The end had some emotional punch)
Neon Genesis Evangelion

LIve Action films:
Love & Sword
A Last Day in the universe ( I always watch this movie when I'm depressed)
A.I Artificial Intelligence

There are plenty more, but this is what I could think of off the top of my head. Live action shows and movies just don't have that emotional puch, or maybe it's just Hollywood?

Asian movies get to my emotions much easier than hollywood

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
The closing scenes of Cloud Atlas get me every time.

I swear, watching Sixsmith running up those stairs gets harder every time you watch it. Dammit, Frobisher is just there. You're seconds away man! RUN FASTER!

Ahem. You can get serious emotional whiplash watching that film. The closing sequence leaps from comedy to uplifting hope-filled messages to tragedy and back again in the space of ten minutes.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I think Tom Hanks' most emotional film is actually Castaway. It's got three endings really, one after the other, each one incredibly sad until you realise the next one is coming and is even sadder than the last. Wow I was bawling at the end.
Also Super, Rainn Wilson's soliloquy at the end while looking at the wall is really sad due to the tone not being gloomy but reflective and even optimistic.
EDIT: Forgot TV! Obviously it's Friends, that final episode made me teary even though it was only like the tenth episode I had watched!

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The end of End of Watch was goddamn perfect in an incredibly tragic way. Same as The Green Mile. I fuckin' hate happy endings, since they are a dime a dozen and never tend to go dark and deep enough to make me want a happy outcome. Toy Story 3 managed to do this, although I didn't cry. I shed a few tears during the Red Wedding, half simply for Catelyn Stark, who had already lost so much only to lose everything else, and the fact that it was the ugliest betrayal I've seen in any medium.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
I can't believe that 11 posts into this thread nobody's mentioned Wolfs Rain. What the hell's wrong with the world?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Consider the entirety of not just this episode, but all of the previous series. Generations of bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, daring and ambitious people are wiped from the face of the Earth:

This is the closest that the chirpiest man in the Army comes to breaking apart. Despite all earlier quips, jibes and rivalries, the "good luck" at the end seems completely genuine.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
I think Tom Hanks' most emotional film is actually Castaway
WIIILLLLLLSSSSSSSOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!! Seriously if you are reading this fuck you Tom Hanks and your numerous emotional roles. How an actor can portray such a level of emotion to a ball with a face on it is unbelievable. Castaway is one of the best films ever when you think 90% of the movie is a single actor. I cant think of many films that just have a single actor and still keep your interest

I dont really cry at anything. Marley and me is about the only one I can remember (dont give a fuck about humans but when its a dog its different). I was sat there like "this dog is going to die anytime soon, brace yourself" then came the niagra falls from my eyes. Not that it excuses me but my family have always had labradors and retrievers so the whole movie is very close to home

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The election episode of Codename: Kids Next Door. Remember Numbuh One's inspiring speech? That moved me.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm a cryer, I don't bawl but I tend to get a little bit weepy.

I've cried every time I've watched Up and The Shawshank Redemption.
I cried during Life is Beautiful, Toy Story 2 and 3, Forest Gump... I could go on forever.

I'm struggling to think of a tv series that made me cry though.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The end of Terminator 2....WHAT?! MY TEARS ARE MANLY AS FUCK, OKAY?!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Toy Story 3 (Furnace bit, every damn time)
Forest Gump, which I watched for the first time a few days ago.
Marley and Me
I Am Legend
Breaking Bad (the bits with Jesse. Oh man </3)
PS I love you
Black Mirror s2 ep1 bummed me out and made me cry a little.
Up
The Green Mile
Possibly ashamedly How I Met Your Mother with Marshall's dad.
The Lion King
The first Pokemon movie when I was a kid, but I'd probably blub if I saw it now ;~;
The Deathly Hallows part 2 (Snapes memories, oh my fucking God I flooded the cinema)
The Time Travellers Wife
Bambi
Titanic
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
101 Dalmations
Aristocats
Oliver and Company
The Fox and the Hound
Tangled
Frozen
Lady and the Tramp
A few Scrubs episodes have set me off.

Man, there's something seriously wrong with me.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
As much as I hated the final season,
Deb's death still made me cry. Saxon was by far the worst villain in the entire series and did not deserve the right to kill the show's best character, and Dexter taking Deb's body on his boat without anybody noticing him at all was profoundly retarded, but her actual death scene, where Dexter takes her off the respirator and waits for her to die was heartbreaking and very well made.

RiseUp

Jan 31, 2014
It seems like the more I watch Pan's Labyrinth, the more I cry at the end. The first time I watched it I was pretty unaffected, but from my second watch onward (now that I "get it") the end makes me bawl my eyes out.

The last episode of Breaking Bad... oh man, that was rough.