Movies you can't make good games out of.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I'm going to have to go with A Serious Man here.

'Press X to freak out over your miserable life'

'Press B to not understand the opening sequence'

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It seems that it's impossible to make a good game out of nearly any movie nowadays.

OT: Tremors probably wouldn't make a good game. Same with The Kite Runner.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I've been alive long enough to know by now that either making a game based on a movie doesn't work, and making a movie based on a video game CERTAINLY doesn't work. Movies that incorporate video games have had their ups and downs, but straight translations of either never fare well in the final product.
Devs could learn a lesson here that to "loosely" base a game on a movie franchise has potential to work, not a direct reproduction. Any video game in the last decade based on a movie has been terrible... while the game The Warriors wasn't bad, it didn't actually happen during the time scheme of the movie. All that you did during the game preceded the events of the movie, therefore not exactly qualifying it as a video game adaptation of the movie. Games like Terminator: Salvation (which sucked worse than a drunken Courtney Love) is a good example of a bad idea. Even the last Iron Man game was terrible, and I haven't heard anything good or surprising about the latest game tie-in for the movie. The only idea worse than making a game from a movie is making a musical about a movie... on ice.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Eliam_Dar said:
CoverYourHead said:
Twelve Angry Men.

Basically a short version of an Ace Attorney game, but not as awesome, and no shouting of "Objection!"

Would be terrible.
hey, that movie is great, specially the older version. However I agree with you, it wouldn't make a great game
Well of course, it's a fantastic movie. Kids should write term papers about it in school.

I'm slightly peeved that we have yet to start using movies to teach culture in schools. I can accept video games for now as they have yet to be widely accepted as an art form, but movies are ridiculous to not be teaching!

hmmmm, I actually had assignments related to movies, or movie-book comparison at school.

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Twelve Angry Men.

Basically a short version of an Ace Attorney game, but not as awesome, and no shouting of "Objection!"

Would be terrible.
This was one of the first things that came to my mind too. There is no possible way that I can conceive of. Umm... I can't think of a good way to capture Clerks or Pulp Fiction in a game. There are a lot of things coming to mind.

jjetr

Dec 26, 2009
Rain Man.

Imagine, one level involves taking a trip to Vegas and requires you to count six decks of cards. Then to recite Who's On First verbatim.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Dramas, they can be great movies, but there is no way to make a great game out of them unless you do it Heavy Rain style, and even then you need some action.

madcap2112

Jun 4, 2009
2001: A Space Odyssey

Level One: Press A to stare at a monolith.
Level Two: Press A to stare at a monolith on the moon.
Level Three: Float around for a bit and unplug a computer.
Level Four: Longest cutscene ever.

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
Eliam_Dar said:
CoverYourHead said:
Twelve Angry Men.

Would be terrible.
hey, that movie is great, specially the older version. However I agree with you, it wouldn't make a great game
Well of course, it's a fantastic movie. Kids should write term papers about it in school.

I'm slightly peeved that we have yet to start using movies to teach culture in schools. I can accept video games for now as they have yet to be widely accepted as an art form, but movies are ridiculous to not be teaching!
It's an adapted screenplay, actually. It was originally a play, I believe. So, we should be teaching plays in school, as well as film, which I totally agree with. Theater is such an important part of culture, people really should use them more when teaching. ASIDE from Shakespeare, of course.
OP: Erm...I'm going to have to go with "Any of them" as I've never played a good game based on a movie.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I'd like to see someone try to make a faithful video game adaptation for Schindler's List.

"Quick Time Event! Maximize your focus on [GIRL IN RED COAT] to level up Schindler's [EMPATHY SKILL BAR]!"

"Nazi guards shot your one of your workers! Press [A] to scold guards; press to mourn death of a innocent and reflect on the importance of human life!"

goodwithwords08

Jul 8, 2009
I would have to say Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Great movie but it wouldn't work as a game.

Press X to say Neee!!

Press B to taunt them a second time!!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Since there is no movie that can't be turned into a pinball machine I don't think that there are any that can't be turned into a video game.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Furburt said:
meganmeave said:
My Dinner With Andre.

The Bioware game featuring the never ending dialog tree. And food.
Argh, ye be a damn ninja!

OP: MASH.

It would be the most apathetic war game ever.

"Press X to not give a shit"

"Press B to look at Donald Sutherland for a while"
I'm sure a lot of us here are a little young to have heard of MASH, so why have so many of us seen it? Also, I laughed far too loudly at that given that it's quarter to one in the morning, and hence the rest of my house are asleep...

OT: A Clockwork Orange, simply because you could not put that shit in a game? But really, any film that's primarily drama/character interaction based won't work unless you completely Heavy Rain the thing... That's right, "to Heavy Rain" is now a verb. Also, Iron Man. I'm pretty sure we said good games, right?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Pretty much every comedy movie wouldn't make a good game.

Superbad, Harold & Kumar, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I could go on.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Deadonstick said:
Personally I was thinking of the Saw movies, in which you try to escape from death traps, sure it might be scary the first time, but as soon as you fail and die you realize there is no real issue in dying. You might even want to kill your character in as many possible ways within the same death trap. Which is kind of beside the point. However this thought in my mind that this could never be turned into a game was swiftly overcome by another thought: What if you were the torturer? You could design your own traps or other contraptions or just mess with the minds of the victims. I mean, bloody games like Manhunt sell like cold drinks in a desert. So that COULD be turned into a game. But what can't? I'll leave this riddle up to you.
Umm. Not impossible...

http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Saw-320x450.jpg
I haven't played it though.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Pride and Prejudice, I'd love to see some one try making a game out of that :D.
Hubilub said:
Fight Club.

Because every game would miss the freakin' point.

Actually, the one game they made about the movie completely missed the point. There is my evidence!
Yes that game was laughable... the object of the game was to Win fights... did these guys even watch the film?. Though I thought if you took the fight club element out and fixed up a few things then added a better create a character mode... that game could have been a decent beat'em up. I guess a game where you played as a member of project Mayhem spreading anarchy would have been closer to the book and movie... not that close but closer then Winning fights.