Movies you love but everyone hates

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
the Truman Show
Pulp Fiction
the Blues Brothers

None of my friends like these movies. They regard my opinions as total stupidity and they think I am an idiot.

Movies they like:
Transformers 1-3
Vampires Suck

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
lobster1077 said:
I enjoyed Watchmen quite a bit, it has its limitations like some terrible casting and sloppy pacing but its still enjoyable. Of course the comic is in a different league altogether.
what? whoever hates the watchmen should get a slap to the face!

For me it has to be the rush our trillogy

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
WalrusPowers said:
the Truman Show
Pulp Fiction
the Blues Brothers

None of my friends like these movies. They regard my opinions as total stupidity and they think I am an idiot.
But...... You just named 3 of the greatest movies i've ever seen :l

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Mr.Incognitus said:
I actually quite liked Postal, and liking any movie by Uwe Boll seems to be a sin amongst anyone who has ever watched a movie before
You know strangely enough I feel the same way about that movie, but I did watch it at four A.M. with my pals, however I did think it was okay in a stupid way, I also really liked another movie he made called Rampage which was actually sort of interesting and, well, in a weird way meaningful, maybe he's getting better at filmmaking, no, no that could never happen.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
I think Critics and a lot of people agree on hating both Equilibrium and Boondock Saints and I just don't care, I love the stupidity and over the top action of both and the buddy comedy of brothers of Boondocks (mainly because I have a relation to my brother just like that). I can see all the reasons why critics would call them bad, I just like them anyways. Oh and I somehow liked Uwe Bolls Postal for it being so stupid and Rampage for being a genuinely good (read average for every other director) Boll movie.

WalrusPowers said:
the Truman Show
Pulp Fiction
the Blues Brothers

Movies they like:
Transformers 1-3
Vampires Suck
I haven't even seen Vampires Suck...I'd probably like it. But calling Blues Brothers and Truman Show bad? Hating Pulp Fiction? Get new friends to watch movies with. Especially if your friends consider Transformers 2 to be entertainment. Don't ditch them, just don't watch anymore movies with people who enjoy Skids& Mudflap, giant Devastator Scrotums and John Tourturro in jockstraps to be good.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Crank 2

Insanely stupid, but insanely fun, and a great watch.

I really don't understand the hate for it to be honest.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
WalrusPowers said:
the Truman Show
Pulp Fiction
the Blues Brothers

I can imagine someone being too retarded for Truman Show or too young for Blues Brothers, but that's the first time I hear of someone disliking Pulp Fiction. Your friends must be pretty special.

Me, I have a soft spot for the movie May, a psychological thriller about a sociopathic girl who starts to lose her mind because of her loneliness. Everyone I've recommended it to seems to not get it for some reason. I guess they just want to be entertained and it's not a very entertaining movie. It is however visually stunning, well written, hypnotizingly paced, and Angela Bettis, although perhaps too good looking for that specific part, is absolutely relentless in her performance.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I liked Southland Tales with The Rock. I didn't even read that graphic novels that lead into the movie. I guess that is what the movies biggest problem, no one read the graphic novels that fill in all the backstory. I like movies that leave me somewhat confused.

Add me as another one who liked the Matrix sequels. I enjoyed all the symbolism.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I like the lesser known, more obscure indie movies, so usually, people don't even know if they like them or not ._.
But if I had to guess, they wouldn't like them.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I doubt you'd find many people liking these movies:

Valhalla Rising. I love the foreboding atmosphere, I just love all the filmic aspects of it, and Mads Mikkelsen. Plus VIKINGS! Hardly any dialogue! Discovery of America! Christian crusaders! One-Eyed mute dude!

Observe and Report (Seth Rogen, Aziz Ansari, Danny McBride, Anna Faris, Ray Liotta!). The "comedic Taxi Driver". Yes, this was released right next to Paul Blart: Mall Cop (lol). Seth Rogen's most unique performance you'll ever see. I'm huge into dark comedies, and this is one of the funniest. Mall cop with delusions of grandeur (and mental health problems) to be a real cop and goes postal when trying to save a girl from a streaker. I wish people didn't focus on the controversial "rape" scene. It's a character study of a flawed character, but also a hilariously twisted comedy.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
WalrusPowers said:
the Truman Show
Pulp Fiction
the Blues Brothers

Movies they like:
Transformers 1-3
Vampires Suck
What Pulp Fiction disliked by someone? but its the perfect film in every regard. It seems your friends are not of sound mind.

MortarTeam

Aug 28, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Uwe Boll's "Postal". It really is in the Postal 2 mood of mindless comical violence.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't get why people hated The Butterfly Effect. I genuie thought it's a good film since there aren't that many films with a moral to it (well depending what the film is).

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
SenorNemo said:
Hey, I see where you're coming from, and you have some good points. Still, if someone pulls the "you just don't get it" card (which is totally ridiculous), that's the person's pretense, not the movie's. I don't think the movie itself is pretentious because it achieves more or less what it set out to achieve, without claiming to be anything more. Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply if someone doesn't like it, it's because they have bad taste. It's not a perfect film: there's a reason why it's in the "movies you love but everyone hates" thread. Just like some things are popular for a reason, some things are unpopular for a reason too. And I stand by liking it.

(Super 8 was 2011, btw)
I know Super 8 was 2011, I was trying to squeeze it in to the section about my opinions of the worst movie ever made... going back and looking at my post, I must have been tired or something because there are so many mistakes in wording...

But either way, my hating it probably had a lot to do with my theater experience as well... as in, accidentally walking into the wrong theater and then when I got to the right one, the fire alarm went off halfway through and killed the flow.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
binnsyboy said:
The star wars prequels (could have gone without Jar Jar though) the Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean sequels (come to think of it, those two crossed over would be awesome) I know they had a lot to be desired, but I still loved them.
me tooooooooooooooooo

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I liked Jumper and FFVII Advent Children. No one's ever heard of Jumper except me and my friend, to be honest. And Advent Children is dismissed because it's Final Fantasy VII based.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I also liked The Spirits Within, but I try not to associate it with the series. I see it as just that, The Spirits Within.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
LaughingJester said:
uzo said:
Skyline

Almost every single person I know was absolutely scathing, but they were criticising exactly the kinds of things people complain about in "yay america" sci-fis.

They watch ID4, and they hated the unrealistic rubbish, eg:
"why can a f-18 shoot down a vastly superior alien space ship?"
"why can will smith basically one-hit-kill an alien in combat suit?"
"wtf is the president doing flying a fighter plane?!"

Then they saw Skyline, and complained reverse:
"no way could that house sized alien take a bazooka! it's made in the US of A!"
"what the hell?! they killed Turk from Scrubs!? That's illegal!"
"the ending was stooopid. Humans would have kicked alien arse."
"ps. USA, USA, USA!"

Skyline presented a thoroughly plausible version of alien invasion - you gonna get raped, and no matter how hard you try, you might as well just pass them the lube and think of happier times.
HAHAHA I thought i was alone on this one... I watched it with a whole group who cracked it and said pretty much all you did and my one response was... 'vastly superior race invades earth, what did you think was going to happen?'
What actually happens in Skyline? Does everyone die? D':

OT: Equilibrium. I thought it was a really compelling dystopic story that isn't too far from plausibility.

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
Zack Snyder is a genius. Have you seen Sucker Punch?
Snyder is certainly no genius. The guy has made fun B-Movie adaptations and an awful "original" film that will probably end up being my least favorite movie of the year.