Movies

DANCEMASTERAFRO

Apr 22, 2010
Do you guys have any good movies recommendations. Bearing in mind I've seen a great deal, my DVD collection takes up most of the space in my flat. So please no blatantly obvious ones; ie I've seen Fight Club, it's not great in my opinion. I like action movies, crime movies, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc etc. Gimme something good guys and you'll have made my night.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Having just seen it for the first time this week. Mother. Fucking. UP!

'I do not like the Cone of Shame'

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
In Bruges - Brilliantly dark comedy.
Drive (If it's still out in cinemas)
Oldboy - Great Korean revenge flick
Hard Boiled - Another Asian film, dubbed in English but great action scenes.
Four Lions - A British comedy about terrorists.

Ashistheking

Nov 22, 2011
OldKingClancy said:
In Bruges - Brilliantly dark comedy.
Drive (If it's still out in cinemas)
Oldboy - Great Korean revenge flick
Hard Boiled - Another Asian film, dubbed in English but great action scenes.
Four Lions - A British comedy about terrorists.
four lions is quality
try 'american psycho 'with christian bale BEST FILM EVER .....
'the host' japanese dubbed film about a stream being infected with waste a funny but eerie horror film
'bronson'? with tom hardy
'little nicky' adam sandler pretty decent not a particularly captivating story but slapstic humour is decent :)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Inglorious Basterds is a must for any movie fan, IMO.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was shockingly good. Just enough cheesiness, just enough fantastic direction, and, as is usual with Andy Serkis, the motion capture is some of the best out there.

Other than those, I can't really recommend a lot. I kinda grew out of movies.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
The Shawshank Redemption: if you feel like seeing something happy
The Third Man: if you don't mind an old movie
The Fall: really good and underrated fantasy film
Hot Fuzz: totally hilarious action movie
Once Upon a Time in America: an amazing gangster movie/mystery
Alien: classic horror movie
Se7en: another mystery, but not for those of a weak stomach
The Princess Bride: if you feel like quoting something for the rest of your life

DANCEMASTERAFRO

Apr 22, 2010
All good, gonna try and pick up Drive, that's one I've not seen :) Might watch TIST right now haven't watched that in ages.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I'll give a second vote to Four Lions, it's absolutely hilarious.

Also, Memento is probably my favourite film ever, there's great twists and the whole damned thing is told backwards. Backwards! How's that for unique?

But that's reasonably well known so you may have seen it. So I'll also throw out a recommendation for Primer. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/ It's a really smart, complicated film which I found to be really quite engaging. Also, the budget was $7000, so you get to support indie film developers and all that.

And then, for some stupidity to balance that. Hobo with a shotgun is shockingly awesome. Seriously, buy that film.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
The Dollars Trilogy. (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) They are all separate movies - no continuing story and some characters who have died previously come back in another movie. Depending on how you like Lee Van Cleef as a good guy or bad guy, you should watch the second movie before the third if you like him good or the third movie first if you like him bad.

Personally, I recommend you to watch the second movie first. My favorite of the three masterpieces.

Other movies you could watch: Hot Fuzz, The first two Godfather movies, Young Frankenstein, Batman: Under the Red Hood, the two original Batman movies with Beetlejuice as the main character, Gone with the Wind (the outlier of the list), Apocalypse Now, Dracula (the one with Bela Lugosi), Goodfellas, Dr. Strangelove, and Magnum Force.

You should also check out this wikipedia page for any other ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
If you like crime and thrillers, Hitchcock is always a good bet, Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, Notorious, Rear Window, etc.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
Bobic said:
Also, Memento is probably my favourite film ever, there's great twists and the whole damned thing is told backwards. Backwards! How's that for unique?
I agree on the Memento bit, but in the future don't tell that much to people. Knowing at the start that it's told backwards kind of kills the "wtf" you've got the first time you watch it.
Imo all you can tell people is: "It's about a guy with no short-term memory. Enjoy :)"

OT: Seen all Disney and Pixar stuff? There's some gold there.
Otherwise:
Bunraku
A Scanner Darkly
Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.
Interview With the Vampire
The Fall
Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano; that's a better title imo :p)
Spirited Away
Shutter Island
Dark City
The Curiosity of Chance

Apologies if any have been named already, haven't read/remembered it all. :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
American beauty
Black swan
requiem for a dream
fith element
starship troopers (if your in the mood for some silly fun)

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
13 Assassins.

There hasn't been a good (truly epic) samurai flick for quite some time- and 13 Assassins hits on all the points and styles that are loved. Not to mention the last roughly 30-40 minutes of the movie is ONE WHOLE BATTLE that keeps going and going in all its glorious, slashing goodness.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
TheOneBearded said:
The Dollars Trilogy. (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) They are all separate movies - no continuing story and some characters who have died previously come back in another movie. Depending on how you like Lee Van Cleef as a good guy or bad guy, you should watch the second movie before the third if you like him good or the third movie first if you like him bad.

Personally, I recommend you to watch the second movie first. My favorite of the three masterpieces.
I second this so much. I started with a Few Dollars More, it was given in my 9th birthday. Probably one of the best movies I've had for a birthday.

OT:
All About Lily Chou Chou
The Prestige
Memento
K-Pax
Green Dragon
Spirited Away
Corpse Bride
Brick
Amadeus
Amelie
Donnie Darko
Jacobs Ladder
Oldboy
Persepolis
Shine
Splice
The Green Mile
Dragonheart
El Infierno
The Iron Giant

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Red's a pretty good one. Easily one of my favourite Bruce Willis movies. Either that or the original Die Hard.