Moving the New 360 Can Damage Disks

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Why the heck would anyone intentionally try to move their console while it's operating? It seems obvious that that would not work too well. Personally, I keep my consoles in protected positions where it's largely impossible for anyone to accidentally strike them at any time. These are sophisticated, sensitive pieces of equipment, not hunks of plastic with magic entertainment gnomes in them.

Apr 28, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
So you mean, EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL?

I mean, seriously, am I the only one whose careful with their electronics anymore?
Do, I am. But it seems lots of people aren't for some reason >.>

OT: Well with the normal 360 if you move it slightly to the side it kills the disk. So I guess that's progress?

flipsalty

May 11, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
So you mean, EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL?

I mean, seriously, am I the only one whose careful with their electronics anymore?
Completely agree, you have to be an idiot to move your 360 while its spinning. Leave it on a shelf where it belongs.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Seriously, who onearth is actually dumb enough to move the console while it's on anyway. Other than a portable CD player or a laptop, both of which are designed to be mobile, it's a pretty stupid idea to tilt anything while a disc is spinning. After all, you don't turn your DVD player on its side mid way through watching a film, do you? Idiots will do idiotic thing, and of course they will blame the hardware rather than their own stupidity. It's not a design flaw, it's just something that happens with static, disc reading electronics.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
The orignal 360 did this too.... And its more of a design flaw than anything. When you move the 360 the laser burns itself into the disc, making it unusable, but this it just because Microsoft were stingy in the design of their disc drive in order to cut costs. The PS3, Wii, and pretty much most other disk drives wont have this problem because the drives used have features implemented to prevent this happening. Im sure that Microsoft were being sued for this a while back, but I dont know what happened with the case...

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
The original did this aswell (known from experience)

alll i can say is

[HEADING=2]DERRRR[/HEADING]

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
its not good to move the console while the disk is spinning for ANY REASON, and this counts for ps3s and wiis too, it should be common sense to NOT MOVE the console while the dick is spinning, this is not microsofts fault and i didin't expect them to have fixed that becuase frankly, it is very hard to fix.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Necator15 said:
Seems like common sense that you shouldn't move something that has something else that is rather expensive spinning around at... I'm not sure of the speed, but very fast.
Yeah but Compact Disc players have been capible of continued movement of the device while playing for years and I'm sure most PC towers can be shaken a bit without ruining a disc(Not to mention acts of nature like earthquakes tremors or someone clumsy nearby.). Beside this was an issues sinse the origional Xbox 360 they could of sloved the disc tray issue when they redesigned the whole physical setup?

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Argh, why would anyone move any console while it's operating? I usually take the habit of turning off my console and taking out any DVDs inside before moving it, just to be sure.

And speaking of ungodly noise, I got Need for Speed: Underground for PS2 as an Xmas-gift a few years back. Our two cats of course decided that running really fast and bumping my console so it fell from vertical to horizontal smack into the floor was a really good idea. (The sound was something like what I imagine two robots having sex sounds like) and the disc got massively fucked. Fortunately, the customer service was nice and I got a new copy, no extra charge.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Doesn't this happen with almost any cd/dvd/blu-ray player? We just never move them so never know. Sure my laptop says in the instructions that it should be kept on a flat, level surface and not moved while switched on...

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
Sporky111 said:
Well Microsoft proves, yet again, that they can't build a decent console. I mean, really? They should be able to fix this, nearly every other device out there can handle being moved while the disk is spinning.

You'd think that Microsoft would go out of their way to fix problems like these. Actually, they did fix it. There was no RRoD warning sticker on the original...
So you want them to fix a problem inherent with high speed disk drives. Well the solution would be to put an accelerometer in there and dynamically brake the disk when the console was moved, so in short a complicated engineering implementation usually reserved for the much better balanced and much lower inertia hard drives in laptops. The alternative is that people don't engage in a monumentally stupid activity that is explicitly mentioned in the user manual.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Generic_Dave said:
Doesn't this happen with almost any cd/dvd/blu-ray player? We just never move them so never know. Sure my laptop says in the instructions that it should be kept on a flat, level surface and not moved while switched on...
But you rarely flip your laptop 90 degrees, so I guess this isn't as much of a problem. (Okay, one might put a laptop in a bag or something, but I would assume any modern laptop goes into sleep mode when closed)

The alternative is that people don't engage in a monumentally stupid activity that is explicitly mentioned in the user manual.
This should be a sticker on all electronic equipment sold.
"DO NOT ENGAGE IN MONUMENTALLY STUPID ACTIVITIES EXPLICITLY MENTIONED IN USER MANUAL"

Seriously!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Isn't this a rule for erm... all consoles? I mean I've never moved my Wii, 360 or PS3 because it just seemed like a bad idea to move it with a disk in it.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
So it's the exact same problem the old one had and it's really self-explanatory. Don't know why people are raging.

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
The Wii does the same thing. Bottom line: Don't move the machine while it's on. That doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
JohnSmith said:
Sporky111 said:
Well Microsoft proves, yet again, that they can't build a decent console. I mean, really? They should be able to fix this, nearly every other device out there can handle being moved while the disk is spinning.

You'd think that Microsoft would go out of their way to fix problems like these. Actually, they did fix it. There was no RRoD warning sticker on the original...
So you want them to fix a problem inherent with high speed disk drives. Well the solution would be to put an accelerometer in there and dynamically brake the disk when the console was moved, so in short a complicated engineering implementation usually reserved for the much better balanced and much lower inertia hard drives in laptops. The alternative is that people don't engage in a monumentally stupid activity that is explicitly mentioned in the user manual.
Not really, just improve the device in the center that holds the disk. CD players, PSOne and PS2, laptop, Wii, DVD player: All devices that can be turned while the disk is spinning and not ring it. I was a pretty careless kid, and I didn't know there was any risk to disks by turning the device while it was spinning. Nonetheless, I've never had a disk ringed. I don't see why Microsoft, firstly wouldn't want to fix this; customer service goes a lot farther than deflecting complaints; and secondly, would even consider a problem like this acceptable. They make computers! Disks are kind of an integral part of operation.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I don't really see the big deal with this.

It kind of seems like common sense, and I'm a little embarrassed that they had to put a sticker on the box warning people not to do that. It's like the warning on a clothes iron not to use it on clothes while you're wearing them.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
What if its knocked over by accident...? That is total, and epic fail on there behalf...they should be able to fix this!