Moving the New 360 Can Damage Disks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Moving the New 360 Can Damage Disks

If you've going to buy one of the new Xbox 360s, be careful how you handle it.

There's no other way to say this: Don't move your new slim Xbox 360 while the disk is spinning, as it might just destroy the disk. Nick Chester, the editor-in-chief of Destructoid discovered that moving the console while it's reading a disk continues to be a very bad idea, much as it was with its older, chunkier sibling.

Chester moved the machine from a horizontal to a vertical position while a copy of Alan Wake was being read. After an ungodly noise, the disk was rendered unusable and an annoyed Microsoft employee directed Chester's attention to a sticker on the front of the console which made a point of saying not to move the machine while it was on.

Whether you think this is an unacceptable design flaw, or a consequence of using the device improperly depends on your point of view. Personally, I think that moving the machine while the disk is moving at its quickest is just asking for trouble, but that's just my opinion. Regardless, it shows that being careful with your consoles is a good idea.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems-176508.phtml]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This was the exact same problem with the original 360!
Never move it when it's on!

As a wise news caster once said:
Logan Westbrook said:
...moving the machine while the disk is moving at its quickest is just asking for trouble...
Wise words indeed.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This is the same with the regular 360. I can't count how many times people would come into Game Crazy when I worked there, trying to blame us for their discs with a huge circle groove cut around the disc, because they picked up their 360 and moved it sideways, or moved it for some other reason, while it was reading the disc. Luckily for some of them, we had a buffing machine, and I was able to fix maybe about 40% of them. Funny, how the majority of the games I did this for were Madden games.....

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Didn't the original 360 do this as well?

In any case, I think it's more "improper use" than "design flaw", but if it renders disks unusable after a slight nudge, then something's wrong.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Its the same way with the current xboxs. It happened to my Call of Duty and I remember a thread about a kid whos brother bumped his 360 and ruined one of his games.

oh and the new 360 looks damn sexy

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
I ruined my copy of PGR 3 by doing this. I actually did it twice, despite the awful noise the first time. *sigh* That taught me never to move a console while there's a disc in.

I suppose that other consoles don't have this problem...?

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
Seems like common sense that you shouldn't move something that has something else that is rather expensive spinning around at... I'm not sure of the speed, but very fast.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well Microsoft proves, yet again, that they can't build a decent console. I mean, really? They should be able to fix this, nearly every other device out there can handle being moved while the disk is spinning.

You'd think that Microsoft would go out of their way to fix problems like these. Actually, they did fix it. There was no RRoD warning sticker on the original...

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I wouldn't call this a microsoft fail, sounds like common sense to me. But of course there are plenty of fuck wits out there so common sense seems to be in short supply.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So you mean, EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL?

I mean, seriously, am I the only one whose careful with their electronics anymore?

DaisukeVulgar

May 6, 2009
My opinion on this is that under normal circumstances, no you shouldn't move any console while it has a disc in it, but at the same time that is a major design flaw to have. I know the original had problems with this too, so you'd have thought Microsoft would have fixed this issue.

Or did they just think a sticker would be adequate?

Willis_D

May 27, 2009
Why would you be moving it while you're playing it anyway? Seems a bit stupid to me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Indeed not good to move a console around when turned on, but my 15 year old MP3 CD player could handle it just fine... So it could've been designed with at least a safety built in?

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
This was totally a problem with like, the very first 360s. I was at a friend's house once and he made the mistake of shifting his 360 from horizontal to vertical-- it sounded like a fucking dog was chewing on that disc.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wow, it's almost like moving a sensitive piece of electronics that has a thin piece of plastic spinning at thousands of RPM is a bad idea or something...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Next up, Destructoid's Nick Chester will see how well can he can remove a stuck blade in a lawnmower while its still switched on.

What is it with the new generation that they can't wait for a mechanical apparatus to stop before messing around with its alignment or position?. I never once re-aligned my Hifi while it was on, and I've never once thought to myself "my PS3 should be standing upright" halfway through KillZone.

There's a kid in this town that did that and his Xbox scratched his discs, tantrum ensued, unfortunately for him he also tried to stop a power sander quickly using his fingers, either way he can't play his favourite games because a)their broke and b)he doesn't have the correct number of digits to hold a controller.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Oh so they didn't bother to fix the biggest flaw of the Xbox. You know, besides the RROD.

Calumon: Why would you want to move a console while the disc is spinning?

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Isnt that just commen sense?

I would never move my playstation or laptop when i have a disk running at speed in it