Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Steps Down

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
People trying to make the world a less hateful place by fighting against discrimination and segregation= Horrible human beings who should be shamed if not shot and despoiled.

Rich guy who advocates and supports segregation laws=Innocent hero, Mr America.

What is wrong with the world today?

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Ninmecu said:
You know what? I'll bite. In six years the average societal trend regarding homosexuality being evil or detracting from our society as a whole, has dramatically shifted in favor of homosexual beings being accepted as a normal thing and a large part of our collective make up. In six years we've gone from bigot statements being widespread on the basis of "Muh freedomz" to a man who worked hard stepping down as CEO for a bigoted statement he made when it was still normal to make, you guessed it, a bigoted statement.
First of all, "better than" doesn't mean good. So we're more accepting of LGBTs than we used to be. As if that was a high bar to jump. Things used to be worse, therefore people should just stfu and accept the status quo. Thats what your argument boils down to, and its bs.

Second, he didn't just "say" something bigoted. He provided material support to the passage of a law that denied LGBTs the right to marry, a basic right most people take for granted.

And painting Eich as a victim being punished for exercising his freedom of expression, (nevermind that he did more than that) by other people who were just exercising their freedom of expression, is frankly a double-standard. If Eich was simply stating his opinion, (and again, he wasn't only doing that) then so were the people who protested. Saying that LGBTs should've stfu about this and painting Eich as a victim is to inevitably imply that only Eich's rights matter and the protestors don't have any such rights to free expression. And mocking this as "Muh Freezomz" doesn't hide the hypocrisy inherent in your argument.

Ninmecu said:
People change-but that doesn't matter, the man has a right to his beliefs, no matter how bigoted we might feel they are, they're his, he's just as protected by free speech as any other,
Except the protestors, apparently.
Ninmecu said:
There are far worse scenarios out there and nothing good has come of this situation,
Again with the "there are bigger fish to fry and the smaller battles don't matter, because culture can be changed overnight with a magic bullet" meme.

Ninmecu said:
just a man who held a belief and lost what he probably desired for many years because Social Justice for the Win.
Again, he didn't just "held a belief," he codified discrimination into law and denied LGBTs a basic right. To say he is a victim of backlash from the (actual) victims of his discrimination is pretty much the definition of the reverse-victim meme, of which I have repeatedly stated that I'm sick to death and zombie reanimation and getting my undead brains splattered by wide-gauge shotgun. LGBTs were actual victims of discrimination. Eich helped make said discrimination into law. Calling Eich a victim because his victims protested is bs.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Strazdas said:
GrinningCat said:
You're right. People should keep making sure to help financially support a person who financially supported organizations that tried, and this particular one had some success, to continue oppressing people just because of "deeply-held religious beliefs." Whether or not it was his money or Mozilla's is a distinction without a difference; he gets his paycheck from them and I'd rather not do anything on my part to put money in the hands of a guy who helped in an attempt to take away human rights if I can help it. Though, thankfully, Firefox is such a shit browser that I jumped that ship five years ago anyways.

Finally, I've said this over (and over).
People should base their decision to support or not support Firefox based on what mozilla, as a company, does. Mozilla, as a company, are LBGT friendly. What any of company employes believe in their personal lives is none of your business. Brendan Eich has never done anything illegal or discriminatory against LBGT. What he did was exercising his legal civil right in donating money to a political campaign for reasons we do not know and never will know unless we learn to read minds. He did it as individual, from his personal money. Mozilla,as a company, has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Your money/speech divide has been proven false by both posters here and US supreme court. Of course, you have a right to believe it if you want, just like i have a right to call bullshit on it.
My money and speech divide is for a clear reason. If I, in any way, give money to a person to a person who then, or has, turns around and gives it to a campaign so directly opposed to me, and I find out about it, the only logical thing to do would be to stop giving them money. The reason that I make a distinction between speech and money is that I can choose to address or ignore someone's opinion and nothing about my day will have been changed, but the moment money is involved that's when I have to ask myself the question: Could I have contributed to that? Because that's the moment that my own being has been given as a spear to stab my person.

You can say whatever the hell you want, that's your right to free speech. You can attack me viciously for all I care. But my line is etched in stone and crossed over the moment money is spent because I can't contribute or support someone who's going to use that to attack me.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
balfore said:
See one big problem (With the majority of the posts here) is that they are generalizing and assuming that this is just because of the Prop 8 support. Take a few minutes and read a few other sources, any company that has half of its Board of Directors resign after he was appointed CEO has much more to do with him immediately resigning than the OKCupid post.

Source:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/28/three-mozilla-board-members-resign-over-choice-of-new-ceo/
This has nothing to do with what we've been talking about but he resigned and they issued a public statement that Mozilla supports all kinds of people and equality, indicating it was indeed related to the OKcupid situation.

People resign all the time when a CEO gets hired that they don't want (or that isn't them).

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Why are you lot still here when this site uses Javascript? Shouldn't you at least be downloading NoScript or something?

And before you ask me what I'm on about, look at the History section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Lightknight said:
balfore said:
See one big problem (With the majority of the posts here) is that they are generalizing and assuming that this is just because of the Prop 8 support. Take a few minutes and read a few other sources, any company that has half of its Board of Directors resign after he was appointed CEO has much more to do with him immediately resigning than the OKCupid post.

Source:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/28/three-mozilla-board-members-resign-over-choice-of-new-ceo/
This has nothing to do with what we've been talking about but he resigned and they issued a public statement that Mozilla supports all kinds of people and equality, indicating it was indeed related to the OKcupid situation.

People resign all the time when a CEO gets hired that they don't want (or that isn't them).
It has a lot to do with the topic, as in it is directly related to the title of the original post. However though Board members typically don't resign after a CEO is selected. And they issued that statement as well in regards to the fact that their own employees were publicly denouncing him on twitter, but his overall resignation most likely has more to do with the Board members leaving as well.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
nikago said:
NortherWolf said:
People trying to make the world a less hateful place by fighting against discrimination and segregation= Horrible human beings who should be shamed if not shot and despoiled.

by digging up 6 year old donations to act on your bullying parade to attack a guy and, do not try and spin around you yourself just said "Horrible human beings who should be shamed if not shot and despoiled."when you say that you are not "right" you are advocating murder.
So whenever people choose not to use a product because they don't like the people running it, it's murder? Better tell that to all the people who boycotted Oreos when they came out in support of gay marriage then.

I'm seeing a lot of people claiming people are "bullies" for holding bigots accountable for trying to keep others from having equal rights under the law. So trying to limit equal rights isn't bullying, but not supporting a product (i. e. practicing capitalism) is?

ToastiestZombie said:
Why are you lot still here when this site uses Javascript? Shouldn't you at least be downloading NoScript or something?

And before you ask me what I'm on about, look at the History section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
Who says we don't?

captcha: "take it all" lol.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Ratty said:
Who says we don't?
What do you mean? You pretty much have to use Javascript on the Escapist to use the captcha, quote people, play videos and pretty much do anything except view an adless, nonworking site. Oh, and you know what other site uses Javascript yet publicly hates Mozilla for this? OKCupid.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Unless I am misunderstanding you, you actually can look up who made the donations. By California law if you donate $100 or more to a political campaign or potential law then your information is public and anyone can look up who made the contributions, where they live, and how much of a donation was made.
Well then! Here we have it, I'd be interested to see how many people act on that information (and just who it's available to, mind, I mean, is it restricted to US citizens, etc?). But if that's so, well, there's a lot of room for more action here - of course, hopefully a tad more on the level, as I say usually, criticism is OK, public shaming, not so much.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
ToastiestZombie said:
Ratty said:
Who says we don't?
What do you mean? You pretty much have to use Javascript on the Escapist to use the captcha, quote people, play videos and pretty much do anything except view an adless, nonworking site. Oh, and you know what other site uses Javascript yet publicly hates Mozilla for this? OKCupid.
I see. I was talking more about noscript. You do assume that nobody here is using it because anyone who admitted they did would be banned pretty swiftly. *shrugs* I do remember I uninstalled javascript a few years ago, but then had to reinstall it because it's so ubiquitous.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
First off, let me be very clear on this. I think anyone should be able to get "married". It is not my business what two consenting adults agree to between one another. In no way should this be viewed as anything in support of the guy's position itself. This is just intended to serve as defense of anti-discrimination laws that protect minorities and our ability to speak freely in this country and this is an objective view of the people who do support traditional marriage. It's time we have an honest talk about the difference between hate and defending a tradition, even if we don't agree with them that marriage licenses are the same thing as the marriage practice.

NortherWolf said:

By no means is he some innocent hero. That's not the point at all. I mean, if anything he may have been turned into the everyman's anti-discrimination martyr. The problem is that OKCupid advocated boycotting a product (even if just on their site) because they did not discriminate against a person based on their beliefs and political affiliations. This indicates that they support discriminating against people based on religion, belief, and/or political positions. The LGBT community of all communities should be mindful of the importance of such anti-discriminatory practices.

So just that is enough to get up in arms against OKCupid's protest. Just in the name of anti-discriminatory hiring. Everyone should be in favor of maintaining these anti-discrimination laws to make ensure that they're still there for us and our children.

Now, as for what he did. He supported a law that more than half of Californian voters supported. This is supposedly a law that at the time was supported by around 60% of Americans (I believe that number has since dropped to much closer to 50% but I don't have the exact numbers for today). So this is a group demonizing a man for holding a majority opinion. This would indicate that they feel like 60% of Americans should be unhireable for the same reasons they feel this man shouldn't have been hired.

Let's address the issue itself. Marriage licenses. Believing that "marriage" is specifically between a man and a woman does not equate to believing that gays are evil or shouldn't have all the same rights that marriage entails. That you and others automatically make that leap is unfortunate and a mistake in my opinion. Many of the people who support "traditional marriage" that I've debated with believe that civil unions should have all the same rights but just that marriage should remain the term for male/female marriage specifically. This all comes down to confusion over the use of the word marriage in the name of the license. Because the government appropriated this term in the mid-19th century as a way to control marriages between minorities and whites (civil war shenanigans), the general conscious still associates the license itself with the religious and cultural ceremony of marriage. As such, these people believe that they're defending the definition of a personal and cultural tradition rather than just the tax and benefits document that it actually is today. The best step to take would actually be to get rid of the term marriage in the license just to further separate church and state.

Their confusion over what that actual term is for doesn't somehow automatically translate into them being homophobic or orientation segregationists. Sometimes words have meanings and people ascribe actual definitions to them that they hold to be true. I mean, this man could very well be one of those bad things but we don't know that and that's besides the point. You should not be discriminated against on the bases of religion, belief, or political affiliation.

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
Disgusting. I have lost all respect for that movement. What they did is unspeakable and deserves to be punished. Correct me if I'm wrong (there have got to be some lawyers on this site) but the CEO can and should sue the living shit out of OkCupid for what they did.

If this is how the LGBT is going to act, I will oppose it with every fiber of my being.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
Strazdas said:
No. There is adifference between a CEO private opinion expression and a website plastering its politics to every user.
Providing material support to passing a discriminatory bill into law isn't just a "private expression." The law, by definition, is public.

But that isn't the most bizarre part. You're saying that you personally expressing your opinion by not using a company's service is not a witch-hunt. Whereas other folks doing the same thing is. Because, unlike them, you're not plastering your opinion on your own website, just the Escapist. Thats totally different. /sarc

Is that what you're saying? Because its either that or "you can express whatever belief you want so long as you stfu about it." Either way, you're a hypocrite.

I'm really getting sick of this. Its not just you Strazdas. Everyone painting Eich as a victim is using the same rationale: Contributing financial support to the passage of a discriminatory law is nothing more than expressing a belief. Whereas protesting, which really is just expressing a belief, is going too far. There is no rational way to deny this is not only a double-standard, but an outright inversion. So folks keep steering the conversation away from that to trivial hairsplitting, even if that means going off-topic completely.

You're basically just repeating yourselves, and as a result, so am I. But you did accomplish two things, which I thought were impossible: making me even more sick and tired of the reverse-victim meme, and making that trope sound even more stupid and disingenuous.

At this point, I should probably say something like "thats it, I'm done, I'm out, peace" but to be honest, this discussion has actually been over for awhile now. I'm just belatedly signing the death certificate and making it official.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
EiMitch said:
At this point, I should probably say something like "thats it, I'm done, I'm out, peace" but to be honest, this discussion has actually been over for awhile now. I'm just belatedly signing the death certificate and making it official.
No participant gets to be the final arbiter on when a discussion is over, honestly, only mods do. I mean, there have been lines of it in which you weren't involved, and I actually learned a thing or two on this last page - such as the fact that whoever donated more than 100$ to Prop 8 campaign is on public record. As in, there's a database of people, publicly accessible database, who supported legislation against you.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Lightknight said:
Just going to skip over the mentioned fact that this was all because he supported a law that the majority of Californians also voted for, huh?
I don't see how this changes anything.

Believing that the term marriage actually means something doesn't make him a gay hater or something like that. It just means that he, like most Americans, doesn't understand that a Marriage license has nothing to do with the religious and cultural ceremony of the same name any more.
But I can look at this situation objectively and acknowledge that there are reasons outside of bigotry why people may hold onto this position in such large numbers.
What? People don't understand why a minority group would want the same right as a majority group, so they vote no on whatever they are after. Is that supposed to be ok, somehow? I can't get a lick of sense out of your post.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
forgo911 said:
Disgusting. I have lost all respect for that movement. What they did is unspeakable and deserves to be punished. Correct me if I'm wrong (there have got to be some lawyers on this site) but the CEO can and should sue the living shit out of OkCupid for what they did.

If this is how the LGBT is going to act, I will oppose it with every fiber of my being.
Not supporting a product is "unspeakable"? What about all of the Christian groups who boycotted Kraft foods after they dared to show support for Pride Day? How exactly should this CEO be able to sue OkCupid? For expressing an opinion? Then how come people don't sue each other for having different opinions all the time? Because we have freedom of speech in America, you can disagree with someone's speech, you can ignore it, but you can't take away their right to express their opinion. And you can choose not to buy or support a product for any reason you choose, including not liking someone who makes it.

Super Not Cosmo said:
This type of behavior is pretty standard for the gay activist crowd. If you don't 100% fall in line with them they will not hesitate to label you a bigot and seek to punish you in whatever way they can.
Citations needed. And specify "100% fall in line". Someone trying to prevent you from having equal rights under the law, and donating money to that effect, then refusing to apologize, is pretty good justification to dislike them and not support their endeavors.

Super Not Cosmo said:
A very large part of the gay rights movement is nothing more than bullying tactics used to control people through fear and intimidation.
Since when is voting with your wallet "controlling through fear and intimidation"?

Super Not Cosmo said:
Groups like the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Disagreement (GLAAD)
Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, there is quite a difference.
Defamation is vilifying people through false statements, ironically what you have just done by replacing the word with "Disagreement".

Here's the Merriam Webster definition
Defamation: the act of saying false things in order to make people have a bad opinion of someone or something : the act of defaming someone or something.

You know, like all of the false information spread about gays and the supposed detrimental effects of gay marriage all the time by hate groups and misinformed Churches.

Super Not Cosmo said:
is probably the most well known group of bullies in the gay activism movement. These people are some of the most repugnant and despicable hypocrites and thugs you will ever happen across and they do more harm for the rights of gays than anything.
Again, since when does boycotting a product make you a "thug"? Better tell all those "Religious" and other "family values" groups that boycotted -

JCPenny, for hiring Ellen Degeneres.
Kraft Foods, for having a pride day Oreo.
Home Depot, for supporting LGBT pride parades.
Archie Comics, for having a story where a gay war hero marries his African American boyfriend. They also boycotted Toys R US for selling said comic.

And many more.

Why aren't you all crying about how these businesses have been "bullied" by groups that have chosen to not buy their products?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
The worse part is that despite all the terrible things about the KKK, they do not try and hide who they are.
You mean apart from the big white hoods?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Strazdas said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
I find it slightly distressing...
if he was a KKK member i would still be defending him.

Ok. You would defend people who hate others for the color of their skin, their race, religion, or sexual orientation? And that's ok? Because freedom? I think your opinion is bad. Really bad. What are you going to do about it? Are you going to argue against me? I thought you would defend the opinions of others?

Face facts, some opinions are shit and can harm others. There's no good that can come from limiting the rights of people based on their sexual orientation and no amount of "traditional religious values" will persuade me. And just because he's never done anything to discriminate against his LBGT employees doesn't make his beliefs any better. A person isn't good just because they don't do bad things. I'm pretty sure that's something taught in the Bible

Flatfrog said:
Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. He has every right to hold any opinion he chooses. But if he chooses to say something I find objectionable, I might choose not to support his product. If enough people disagree with his public opinions, that may have an impact on his sales. It's not complicated.
Also this. Eich can tattoo his opinion on his forehead for all I care. That's his right. He still has to deal with the consequences from the people he's marginalizing. Or rather "the people who disagree with him" as some would put it