Multiplayer in Europa Universalis 4 Is Actually Fun

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Multiplayer in Europa Universalis 4 Is Actually Fun

How to make the masses care? Make the multiplayer, and they will come.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Odd but I like it. I myself have been looking forward to the single player aspects but hey, if the multiplayer is as good as you seem to think it is I will give it a fair try. I hate politicking in real life but love to manipulate and stab and scheme digitally.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm still trying to summon the courage to try any of Paradox's singleplayer games. I'm surprised they're actually fast-paced enough for multiplayer.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
A lot of this sounds like what I went through back when I used to play Diplomacy. Talk with everyone, and if someone leaves a big enough opening, blitz them for all you're worth.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
dyre said:
I'm still trying to summon the courage to try any of Paradox's singleplayer games. I'm surprised they're actually fast-paced enough for multiplayer.
What paradox games don't have in twitch they make up for in sheer stuff to do. When you're managing international relations, stepping on rebels, deal with research, colonize here and there, influencing pop growth, dealing with your military, dealing with the economy, directing research and etc, it manages to fill up time rather nicely and with enough variety to keep you from going nuts, and if things hit a lull, crank the speed up to four or five for a bit.

Wouldn't suggest doing more then 2-3 players, unless it's over LAN though.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
I'm a little wary of the EU4 multiplayer just because I rely so much on free pause in the EU3 single player. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but a lot of the fun of the game is being able to call a timeout, get all your ducks lined up, and then start playing again. I don't know if Greg Tito reads these comments, but did they (or the demo) address that issue at all?

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Part of me wish that EU4 becomes strategy Game of the year. Paradox certainly deserves it and I was bit disappointed that CK2 didn't get that title.

But part of me wish that it doesn't because that probably requires that EU4 moves out of its niche. Even with all the work Paradox has done to make their UIs clearer and easier to understand, their games don't become mainstream just through UI changes. They are games with some deep and complex mechanics well within the geek sphere.

But whatever the case I'm confident that Paradox can make some better UIs without compromising the gameplay. CK2 was an excellent example of that and the EU series has a lot of potential as well, being one of their most convoluted franchises.

And now I'm hoping for a Vicky 3, because I really dig that time period and the mechanics of that game.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I love most of what Paradox puts out there, and this sounds like a multiplayer style ive been waiting for ever since i wanted to play Rome TW campaign with some buds.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
dyre said:
Depends on the game. Crusader Kings or the Europa series are quite fast compared to say, the Hearts of Iron series.

But to be fair. All this news posts stated was stuff that was already in Europa Universalis 3, i play with about seven other guys regularly and its also that cut-throat after a while. Were all buddy buddy at the start but then it dissolved into petty arguments over single provences or the Americas and suddenly we all start banding together in two seperate grand alliances and the cold war begins..in 1535.. So yeah, make the EU 4 a little bit more different paradox, throw in the events and family tree of CK 2 with the gameplay of EU 3 and you'll have me.

That "Hot Joins" thing looks interesting enough but i dont think my group will ever use it, we only play when were all ready and if we crash we save and quit the game and allow him to rejoin afterwards. If were allowed to simply pause the game if he dropped and he can just join back in it would save a lot of hassle though!

Not G. Ivingname said:
This looks like it will become the next game where friendships go to die.
Europa Universalis is where the true test a relation begins if you can survive a couple games with your friendships intact you have true comrades there.

Blindrooster said:
I love most of what Paradox puts out there, and this sounds like a multiplayer style ive been waiting for ever since i wanted to play Rome TW campaign with some buds.
As stated above, if you like the sound of this go look up Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 3: Chronicles on steam, the gameplay is exactly like what its shaping up to be in Europa Universalis 4

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
dyre said:
try playing HOI3 at top speed without pausing... the AI will destroy you. its the same with there other games you have to slow the game down for it to be playable for the norms, there are some power gamers over on the paradox forums that can fight multi front wars at speed 3, never pausing, but they are the exception.

OT: HOI3 expansion had some pretty big overhauls to the network code, and they finally tracked down one of the out of sync bugs that happened if you had a range of computer hardware playing over the net, i suspect EU4 builds on both that and CK2

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Now I just need to find some people who would actually want to play this kind of game with me. This series is too hardcore for most gamers I know. Damn.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
oliver.begg said:
dyre said:
try playing HOI3 at top speed without pausing... the AI will destroy you. its the same with there other games you have to slow the game down for it to be playable for the norms, there are some power gamers over on the paradox forums that can fight multi front wars at speed 3, never pausing, but they are the exception.
On my laptop, during wartime speed 4 is about as fast as speed 2 during peacetime D: Especially if you're Germany, allied with Italy and Japan, and invading Russia. So many units on the map slow my game down I think!

Fat_Hippo said:
Now I just need to find some people who would actually want to play this kind of game with me. This series is too hardcore for most gamers I know. Damn.
True enough. Even my brother won't play these games with me.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I can't wait till this game is released! It looks great, every dev dairy it sounds more interesting!
*head explodes*

Seen21

Sep 9, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
On the Paradox forums there are organised games for every day of the week. Even eu2 is still being played it seems.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Last Melon said:
I'm a little wary of the EU4 multiplayer just because I rely so much on free pause in the EU3 single player. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but a lot of the fun of the game is being able to call a timeout, get all your ducks lined up, and then start playing again. I don't know if Greg Tito reads these comments, but did they (or the demo) address that issue at all?
You can set it up how you want, and allow some pausing, but you soon get used to not pausing when you treat it more like an ongoing RTS.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Europa Universalis III multiplayer isn't fun? Many people seem to care too much about winning, and not enough about the experience. Oh no, you're not doing well? That's just a part of the game. I hope EU4 stays just as open-ended. Of course, I still prefer single-player as it lends itself more to playing at my own pace.

The message seems to be that Europa Universalis doesn't need to be fundamentally dumbed down or casualised to be more accessible and user-friendly.

I wonder about the DLC. Are Paradox going to auction off cultures and religions in bits, or allow complete freedom of choice, but add gradual DLC upgrades? I'll respect their decision either way, and Paradox included cross-compatibility as a key feature of CK2 DLC, but it would be nice to know.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Fat_Hippo said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
oliver.begg said:
dyre said:
On my laptop, during wartime speed 4 is about as fast as speed 2 during peacetime D: Especially if you're Germany, allied with Italy and Japan, and invading Russia. So many units on the map slow my game down I think!

Fat_Hippo said:
True enough. Even my brother won't play these games with me.
If you guys ever feel like it, hit me up on steam, my gang usually do some regular games, though lately I've only been able to catch the weekend matches after a full week of the AI ruining my prestige.

MammothBlade said:
Europa Universalis III multiplayer isn't fun? Many people seem to care too much about winning, and not enough about the experience. Oh no, you're not doing well? That's just a part of the game. I hope EU4 stays just as open-ended. Of course, I still prefer single-player as it lends itself more to playing at my own pace.

The message seems to be that Europa Universalis doesn't need to be fundamentally dumbed down or casualised to be more accessible and user-friendly.

I wonder about the DLC. Are Paradox going to auction off cultures and religions in bits, or allow complete freedom of choice, but add gradual DLC upgrades? I'll respect their decision either way, and Paradox included cross-compatibility as a key feature of CK2 DLC, but it would be nice to know.
Do you not find the DLC annoying at all? I granted CK 2 had a more developed system for republics and Muslim states but with EU its not as complex so i'd have reservations

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
I've been following this game really closely (since I love EU3 and CK2) and it appears to be shaping up nicely.

Only two concerns:
1. Determinism and hindsight-colored favoritism for certain countries seems to be even worse than it was in EU3 (based on information released so far)
2. The interface is a little too shiny and big-button-y. I don't know how to explain it, but everything feels rounded at the edges. Would have preferred something more ornate or muted, like the Victoria II interface or the one designed for the MEIOU EU3 mod.

Really excited about the new trade system, though.