Multiplayer Mass Effect Rumors Bubble Up Once Again

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
I'd love a drop-in co-op where people took charge of your team-mates. You know who there worst enemy throughout the first two games was? Me because they ran from cover-to-cover directly into MY line of fire. I'd have killed to have my team not die because they couldn't decide which wall to hide behind.

Co-operative multiplayer with its own campaign would be good too. Taking the place of a group of redshirts for 'what happened before/after Shepard shows/showed up' or even something set in the same universe would appeal somewhat. Plenty of stuff that happens in the galaxy doesn't involve Shepard.

Competitive also has it own opportunities although it's the least appealing to me. There's a boatload of conflicts to pick from.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of all of this.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
This could potentially be good if the servers are stable and "stun" abilities are reworked. I'd rather them make the multiplayer cooperative in a game that is already cooperative, for fucks sake we always have two allies with us at a time.

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Mainstream penetration is a major goal for Mass Effect 3.
Teehee.

OT: I think 3 player coop would be a nice thing to add, but not in the story missions. Just specially-made coop instances. That would be pretty badass.

alexelric

Jan 20, 2010
If they are so desperate to put multiplayer in Mass Effect, why won't they release that part as a day 1 free dlc?. So the people interested can download it and the rest of us who don't care for multiplayer or don't want it on their game can just skip that... that way everyone is happy and more importantly it won't occupy disc space that could be used for, you know, stuff that's actually important in the campaign? I don't know much about programing but a group of maps (dedicated maps, that is) clearly occupy some space on the disc don't they? not to mention the extra coding and voices and whatnot...
Why would the add something stupidly to a game that has been always about the single player experience? are they that desperate to sell? oh wait, it's EA.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Now that I got that out of the way, their logic baffles me. Trying to bring in a new audience with the third game in a trilogy is just stupid.
Yeeeeah... this seems like a bit of a miscalculation. The "3" in the title seems like a pretty effective deterrent to new audiences.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
If it's completely stand-alone and doesn't affect the single-player in ANY way, I'm fine with it. More so if it doesn't take time and energy from the main development team.

Still not going to play it.

WeAreJimbo

May 17, 2010
Whoever thought this up needs to be fired immediately. No warnings just fire them on the spot. Anyone else that even mentions it should also be given the same treatment. I have no problem with a separate multiplayer game in the ME universe, but please do not pollute the single player campaign with this ridiculous multiplayer madness.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
I knew Casey was BSing when he claimed multiplayer would never happen in the ME series. Just when you finally believe this garbage is over and done with, it comes roaring back. I have no qualms with them exploring a future multiplayer component but not at the conclusion of a trilogy. If this is indeed accurate, I will forever wonder if more could have been put into the campaign had they not wasted resources. What baffles the mind is the sheer ignorance of this decision.

News flash EAWare, the FPS crowd you are so desperate to attract is not interested in the series. You cannot appease them in any scenario because their immediate demand will always be to limit the dialogue, which goes against your current fanbase and the direction of the franchise as a whole. What makes this more egregious is they have only a few months to implement the feature, which is a nigh guarantee it will be rushed. Why would they shell out $60+ to play an inferior product to Gears of War, Call of Duty or Halo?

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize the date on this since I just found the link via google.