Music and intelligence

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
The reason they published SAT scores instead of IQ scores is because they couldn't determine a trend when they used IQ scores.

Taste in music is more dependent on someone's personality type than on their intelligence. Introverts might be more inclined to listen to classical or jazz or metal, but that doesn't make them smarter.

Being introverts is what makes them smarter. :D

hittite said:
If you trace the geneaology of music, you'll find that metal is the direct descendant and heir to the throne of classical.
What the hell? Metal derives from experimentation within psychedelic rock, which is just blues-rock + drugs. Then both rock and the blues stem from a combination of hillbilly country music and post-african folk music. Where does classical composition come into it?

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Well I wouldn't consider Lamb Of God to be a very intelligent band as it is essentially redneck metal because all they talk about is the Iraq War. (face it, only Megadeth can do political lyrics well)

Then all the black metal and death metal bands that talk about philosophy, paganism, etc. as smart bands. Even Cannibal Corpse use very competent english when talking about how they will kill people.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
riskroWe said:
The reason they published SAT scores instead of IQ scores is because they couldn't determine a trend when they used IQ scores.

Taste in music is more dependent on someone's personality type than on their intelligence. Introverts might be more inclined to listen to classical or jazz or metal, but that doesn't make them smarter.

Being introverts is what makes them smarter. :D

hittite said:
If you trace the geneaology of music, you'll find that metal is the direct descendant and heir to the throne of classical.
What the hell? Metal derives from experimentation within psychedelic rock, which is just blues-rock + drugs. Then both rock and the blues stem from a combination of hillbilly country music and post-african folk music. Where does classical composition come into it?
Famous metal guitarists learn jazz and classical before learning metal.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
I think stupid people tend to go more mainstream on music because they can't find music on their own and thereby they listen to more rap and pop

bharath1097

May 3, 2009
I think that stupid people can't appreciate classical music but even very intelligent people who don't have that much passion for music and prefer light listening also tend to not appreciate classical music. Also people who are not that intelligent but have a lot of passion for music tend to appreciate classical music more than pop or hip hop.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I know too many stupid metalheads and brilliant techno and pop fans to ever buy that. Classical I suspect is mostly a high I.Q. target audience, but in large part because it requires patience to develop appreciation for it if you aren't raised on it. Jazz can be that way too. On another note, I've seen the full spectrum for country music, meaning while some hate it, it's target audience is a wide range, a criteria for great art. I'll leave bluegrass on the side for now.

mcgooch

Jan 24, 2009
I disagree with musical tastes being related to intelligence in any definitive way however I believe a persons personality can to a certain extent be seen through their musical tastes. For example I recently moved into a university hall in another city and as such had to make new friends. Turns out the five or so guys I became closest friends with all enjoy similar music to me (which I only discovered after befriending them). This could be coincidental but when it has been the same for me here, at high school and even as far back as primary it seems that music may well be a reflection of ones personality. That is not to say that people who listen to certain music are more likable just that certain personalities fit better together and perhaps music can in some way indicate this. That said one of my best friends from high school listens to Hard Core which I absolutely despise so it isn't definitive by any means.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Looking at my modest circle of RL and internet friends, i'd have to agree.
Metal heads mostly, highly educated and intelligent, though not necessarily street-smart. People at work who i know and listen to R&B and/or hardcore house (techno) are also the ones i wont give important jobs to because i think they just arent smart enough for it (and usually dont even qualify for those kinds of jobs)

zacoid5

Nov 4, 2007
I have heard this is true and read a couple of articles posted around the net. I think it works on the principle of metal and classical music and away from the normal mainstream run-of-the- mill, same poppy outline that is the charts. People who are into these genres often have a reason to listen to it and understand what they are listening to as it has deeper meaning than most people realise.

The band I always reference this point with is tool, if some people actually knew some of the things behind their lyrics and structures of their songs, they'd be shocked. So the people who get this often have the ability to grasp hidden meanings.

Don't get me wrong, it does not apply for everyone as music is one of the biggest cases of "each man to his own" ever. But generally speaking it is a true statement.

Jun 13, 2009
I reckon it could work like this:

Dance etc: Simple rhythms, simple lyrics. Easily accessible music genre, requires lower intelligence to comprehend. This means people with less intelligence can understand it and enjoy it easier, meaning that they are more likely to be attracted to it. A high chance of, on average a lower IQ among its listeners.

Indie rock/Soft Rock etc: Some simple, some complex rhythms, lyrics with meaning and some subtleties. Would require a slightly higher intelligence to appreciate than Dance and so on, and so there is likely to be, on average a slightly higher IQ among its listeners.

Metal/Classical: As has already been stated in the thread, metal and classical are often put in a similar zone because of the complexity of their rhythms and general composition. To fully appreciate a complex rhythm it would require a higher intelligence than other music genres and so on average the listener base would have a higher IQ.

This does not mean that the rules are set in stone, nor that idiots can't listen to classical and a genius can't appreciate Dance. However, the complexity of the music could have an effect on the level of intelligence required as a sort of "base" IQ that is required to start appreciating it. This would mean on average listeners of classical are likely to be more intelligent than someone who listens solely to Dance.

I'm not sure how well worded that was, it's fairly early, but the point I'm trying to make is that there could be a sort of minimum IQ requirement for certain genres of music that acts as a filter the higher up you go. It doesn't mean classical is blocked off for idiots, it just means that there is a lower chance of them listening to it.

It could also simply be that Pop/Indie/Dance and so on are more publicised on radio shows, charts and so on, and people with lower intelligence are more likely to just go along with what the media says to like rather than branching off into the more abstract genres of music which are more of an acquired taste, such as Indie, Metal, Classical, etc.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I like to think that I'm a smart individual and my favourite genres of music are....classical and metal. You may have a point. Although really you don't.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Kris015 said:
...and that people with high intelligence mostly listened to Classic music or metal.
ahahaa...

Your sister might have some prejudices here.

Those are about the most opposite music genres out there. Ill place 3 Francs and a mars bar on her listening to Metal.

I know many a mental moron who listens to Metal, and one top notch toff who listens to techno.

your (and thus your sisters) argument is flawed.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
That's just wrong. 90% of metalheads appear to be sixteen year olds who are unaware that people before them have heard of Metallica, and are categorically morons.

Besides, most people who listen to pop and techno are willing to listen to metal or classical, but most people who listen to classical and metal won't even bother with pop or techno, so which "group" is showing the more scientific mindset?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Well, let's look at simple trend:

First, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.105419-Poll-Favourite-Music-Genre#1695584"]the Escapist's favourite music genre[/a].

Now let's look at [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.88498-Poll-Do-you-know-your-IQ-What-is-it#1358131"]the 'what is your IQ' thread[/a].

I know IQ isn't a very good measurement of intelligence, but it works for this example.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
I'd say that people with more intelligence prefer music which has more texture, and experimentation.
Not a genre thing, an artist by artist thing.

Chipperz said:
Besides, most people who listen to pop and techno are willing to listen to metal or classical, but most people who listen to classical and metal won't even bother with pop or techno, so which "group" is showing the more scientific mindset?
Scientific? The one that dismissed a particular hypothesis after sample data showed a particular style was not conducive to an enjoyable listening experience.

(the latter).

'Aredor

Jan 24, 2010
hittite said:
Yes, metal. In terms of the rhythms and chords used, classical and metal are highly similar. it's unsurprising, really. If you trace the geneaology of music, you'll find that metal is the direct descendant and heir to the throne of classical. Which is probably why this works so well.
What does a guy playing the Inspector Gadget theme on a cello have to do with classical music? Just kidding, but it's not really Peer Gynt anymore, just it's bassline if you will. And no, it does not work well. Not at all.

Now Hip-Hop on the other hand can actually use classical music (in a way that you still recognize it as such) and still sound like Hip-Hop:

OT: Classical music and Jazz present the listener with a complex variety of different melodies and instruments: it's just a lot more imaginative than pop music or techno, which always feature the same rythm, nothing your brain has to worry about analyzing.
And in fact, studies have shown that it's beneficial for the development of a baby to have it listening to classical music. I'm sure the same is not true for techno.

So I would say listening to classical music or jazz makes you smarter over time, but that does not mean that everyone who listens to pop music dumbs down. Now Metal on the other hand... just kidding, but it definitely doesn't have the same effect as classical music.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
I doubt there's any correlation between intelligence and music because there is no way you could justify a scientific study with only sixty people in it and there is no ethically justifiable means of isolating human adolescents from all other social or physical variables to see whether there is actually any affect without them.

As for myself, after haiving to listen to classical music at school I know that I don't like it and am smart enough to avoid it.

I also got good marks from Studying, as opposed to music choice.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
I'd like to think I'm intelligent for reasons other than listening to metal, thank you.

Besides, my sister listens to utter garbage and she's not much less intelligent than I am... and I have a friend that listens to classical and metal, who has the intelligence of a common house plant.