Music artist you love that others may be unfamiliar with.

bluemistake2

Sep 25, 2008
Flobots... does anyone else come here hoping to find one of their favourite bands and is then dissapointed?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
MisterGobbles said:
TesseracT. And Periphery.

I realize quite a few people here may have heard of them, but the more people the better =)
The ever-elusive Djent, isn't it? I like Bulb quite a lot, but I'm not keen on the vocals in Periphery.

OT:
They're fairly well-known among math-rock/post-rock listeners, but that demographic seems to be rather small.

This band disbanded quite quickly, so I don't expect many people have heard of them.

And again, shoegaze has fallen from its brief tenet in the mainstream, so I doubt many people would have heard of Slowdive.

newuseforvintage

In Andre the Giant's posse
Sep 6, 2009
Radical Face.

And, in a lesser sense, Scroobius Pip and Dan Le Sac. I say lesser because they're almost completely unheard of here in Australia but I get the feeling they're pretty huge in the UK.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Well, name the bands of mine any of you do know. Buckethead, Tool, Smash Mouth, Soul Asylum and Radiohead won't surprise me but the rest...

Animals as Leaders
Brecker Brothers
Buckethead
Crossfade
Monoral
Nakaido Reichi
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Panzerballett
Patricio Meneses
PhoenixDK
Radiohead
Scale The Summit
SCIL (this one especially, i'm guessing about 80 people have heard this)
Shelter Red (although not so much for this site seeing as it's in the music gallery)
Smash Mouth
Soul Asylum
Starfucker
Stellar*
Tally Hall
Tool
Twice Too Many (same guy as SCIL, but this band probably has about 300 hearers and maybe 20-40 owners)
Venetian Snares
Villa Fuzz (which is me but whatever)
Yoshihiro Ike
Zeromancer

Although some of those were reccommended to me by Escapist members, so if they show up I'm not surprised xD

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Wabblefish said:
-snips-

EDITEDIT: Not unappreciated or unfamiliar by/to people at all but I actually think Nickelback is a decent band and a lot of people hate them just cause they are Canadian...their singer sounds a bit off/strange but it's still a good band I reckon.
I don't hate them because they're Canadian.

I hate them because they're generic and all their songs all sound very alike to me. But hey, opinions. /shrug

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
I have already repeated myself over 50 times already in other threads. I've got some fine rock bands to suggest, but spamming their names 50 times is becoming tiresome.

BUT... I'll mention one, just for this one time. Awesomeness deserves recognition. (480p please.)

Ya'll got to message me for more tips if you happened to have interest. Otherwise, no bothery no.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Hunx and His Punx: Ramonsey power pop, queer as fuck and proud of it.

Discovered and subsequently fell in love with this band recently, YOU DON'T LIKE ROCKNROLL AND I DON'T LIKE YOU

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Very few people have heard of Dommin (gothic rock) but they're starting to get a pretty strong following within that world. Even fewer have heard of Hotspur (pop rock), even though they're excellent. Pity.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Composer Gary Stadler. Probably not something anyone here would like much but I adore him. Also ignore the terrible videos.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009

About Tess, they're a Japanese band that has two drummers, two bassists and two guitarists, the best thing is that none of them become pointless. they're pretty unknown and I'm not sure why it's not like they're insanely heavy or anything.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
I like up tempo folk quite a bit (especially bands from Canada for some reason) I'm surprised none of these made the list so far: The Barnaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, or the Crash Test Dummies.

My other favorite obscure artist a lot of people here have heard at least one of his songs, and that's Jonathan Coulton. The song you may have heard is called Still Alive, no not the one from Mirror's Edge although that song is great too. Another great video game track is Sacred from Blind Gaurdian although I'm not usually a fan of speed metal.

I'm also someone who has heard of Oingo Boingo and if you like them you should check out a band that helped start techno: the Art of Noise.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Alabama 3. Known mostly for the Sopranos theme.

The Step Kings. They came, they released one fairly good album, they fucked off.

Astroqueen. Awesome stoner rock.

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
Type O Negative, pretty cool band with some epicly funny songs. Like 'My Girlfriends Girlfriend'

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Ludo
Nerdy awesomeness. This is one of my fave songs by then:

Love Me Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XH3oMNKApI&feature=relmfu

Save Our City
This song MUST be on your "Zombie Apocalypse Playlist"
(vid is song and lyrics only, there is an official animated video, but the animation was kinda meh for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhucaZDNTQ

Whipped Cream
One of their newer ones, just goofy fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUw-V0GPvQU

Grr...tried to embed vid, I fail.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
brumley53 said:

About Tess, they're a Japanese band that has two drummers, two bassists and two guitarists, the best thing is that none of them become pointless. they're pretty unknown and I'm not sure why it's not like they're insanely heavy or anything.
That was definitely interesting, I'll give you that.