Music artist you love that others may be unfamiliar with.

Lykon

Dec 10, 2008
Edguy. my god EDGUY! Tobias Sammet is a hero to me. anyone into power metal should know who he is. his side project Avantasia has had guest stars from pretyy much every big power metal band ever

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Suilen, a band who I only heard of due to my large boner for Hellsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfWU5zza1Pc

I'd warn about the blood and all that and that its not for the faint of heart, but we're on the website that Yahtzee works for. I'm pretty sure he weeds those out.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
silversnake4133 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]I don't know how popular they are, but my favorite band is Rammstein

Ahh Rammstein. They're actually pretty well known, they're just never talked about because they aren't together anymore.
Oh, Rammstein is still around. They're doing a North American tour shortly; wish they were coming somewhere near me. :(

And I guess I'll contribute:

NovaCascade

Oct 2, 2010
Taerdin said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Taerdin said:
Sonata Arctica is brilliant.
Unia is my favorite album. Ever.
HOLY CRAP MINE TOO! (http://www.last.fm/user/Taerdin - if you go there you will notice an album collage of my most listened to albums. The larger they are the more listens and Unia is HUGE)

I wish I could meet people with good taste outside the internet...
Sonata Arctica is amazing. My favourite song is probably "The Power Of One" or "The Misery".

None of my friends know these bands but I love Epica and Within Temptation. I have no idea how I got onto them, probably just clicking random songs on youtube.

Epica - Unleashed

Within Temptation - What Have You Done Now

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I'm from New Zealand so pretty much every New Zealand band/musician. My personal favourite would be Shihad who's style is hard to describe given they change genres every album. Still they've been going for 22 years and have released eight studio albums, one live album and a score of EPs. Their music has ranged from industrial and thrash metal to pop rock. It's a shame they aren't really known that much outside NZ and Australia. A documentary about them is currently being made, should be interesting.

They are epic live.

Others... I rather like Canadian band Faunts who would be most known here for that song at the end of the first Mass Effect game. I'm also into fingerstyle guitarists, particularly Andy McKee, (known for the YouTube video "Drifting",) and Antoine Dufour, (known for the YouTube video "Four Hands Guitar".)

Hiikuro

We are SYD!
Apr 3, 2010
Kaki King.

I love how her music flows before my eyes. Fits perfectly with the part of me that desires surreal soundscapes.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Shepard said:
I only just now came back from one of her concerts, literally, like an hour ago ^^

She's freaking amazing :D It's weird because normally I feel a burning hatred for electro pop, but I can't seem to get enough of Robyn o_O

Antitonic said:
Oingo Boingo. No-one I know, besides my family, know who they are. New Wave, and unashamed of the fact.
EDIT: See the lead singer? That's Danny Elfman [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Elfman], composer of The Simpsons theme song among MANY others.
Love 'em :D I learned of them a couple of years back when people at a forum I frequented were posting around Little Girls/Pedobear [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rTrtlDPBM] videos. Annoying as hell, but I got hooked on a new band so at least something good came out of it ^^

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
ForensicYOYO said:
This is a chance to share some of your favorite music groups or singers that may be unfamiliar with other people all around the world on the Escapist. They could be a local band or a completely foreign group or singer.

Example: Up from Under. They are in the USA and are local to me in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. They play a more mild rock and you can find them on I Tunes. Check them out!

So share with your fellow Escapist and who knows you might find someone else that is a fan of the same group as you.
Linoleum
Pavement
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Mars Volta
Soul Coughing
The Blood Brothers

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I don't really research the bands I listen to, so I'm not sure about their popularity. Maybe Patrick Watson, I'm not sure. Really beautiful music though.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I'm just gonna leave this here.

<youtube=uji2p65Fz8k>
<youtube=OkGAVIC0yNA>
<youtube=EAeZPiZbpvw>
<youtube=73YTV48yXIo>