Music artist you love that others may be unfamiliar with.

Xerxesrogue

Mar 31, 2010
Hideous Deformity

Local death metal, really worth looking into
They have only produced one album so far, but have a contract for another

Audun

Oct 14, 2009
The Mountain Goats.

Ingenting. (Norwegian)

Also, Edvard Grieg. At least in my age group.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Metal bands people should know about:

Omnium Gatherum
In Mourning
Ghost Brigade
Solitude Aeturnus

There we go...

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
funguy2121 said:
ForensicYOYO said:
This is a chance to share some of your favorite music groups or singers that may be unfamiliar with other people all around the world on the Escapist. They could be a local band or a completely foreign group or singer.

Example: Up from Under. They are in the USA and are local to me in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. They play a more mild rock and you can find them on I Tunes. Check them out!

So share with your fellow Escapist and who knows you might find someone else that is a fan of the same group as you.
Linoleum
Pavement
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Mars Volta
Soul Coughing
The Blood Brothers
I actually know of Pavement, they're a decent band but I haven't particularly listened to them much.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
Antitonic said:
Oingo Boingo.
No-one I know, besides my family, know who they are. New Wave, and unashamed of the fact.
EDIT: See the lead singer? That's Danny Elfman [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Elfman], composer of The Simpsons theme song among MANY others.
I think a lot of people just them as that band who sang "I-I-I love little girls they make me feel so good"

Anyway, this song... Lyrical genius.

<3

Stir72

Jul 14, 2010
Wabblefish said:
Well I listen to a lot of relatively known bands and somewhat popular bands but as for music artists I always thought Leonard Cohen was underrated and is an amazing poet, he's more of a poet than a musician but he's great at it and whenever people like Family Guy, The Simpsons or other t.v shows talk about poetry and famous poets they never talk about Leonard Cohen or mention him.

Also he isn't an emo or gothic person...he's actually supposed to be really kind and humble in real life.

EDIT: I'm thinking I should add Dream Theater to this thread too...but it kind of shifts, sometimes on the internet when I mention it no one is familiar with it other times it seems they are pretty well known. Check out their stuff I recommend it.

EDITEDIT: Not unappreciated or unfamiliar by/to people at all but I actually think Nickelback is a decent band and a lot of people hate them just cause they are Canadian...their singer sounds a bit off/strange but it's still a good band I reckon.
You had me at Dream Theater.

You lost me at Nickelback. I think they're more of a guilty pleasure band (though not for me) - some people enjoy them even though they know deep in their souls that the band is nothing special.

I don't think you can say they're hated because they're Canadian or because of the singer's voice. James LaBrie (DT) is both Canadian AND has a very distinctive voice. Geddy Lee of Rush falls into both categories as well. The music overcomes anything else.

Anyway, DT would have been my first on this list so I'm glad someone else put it up there.

Definitely going to check out more Van Canto after seeing the video above.

I'll see your Leonard Cohen and raise you a Warren Zevon.

May 5, 2010
Hmmm....How 'bout this?

Sound quality is odd for about 25 seconds, but it's supposed to do that.
After that, it gets eargasm-tastic.

Or, alternately, this:

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Absinthe Junk, a rock/metal (their songs come up as rock on iTunes when I add them from a CD, on their Facebook page they call themselves "Progressively Alternative Rock Yum") band from Dayton, Ohio. Interesting story about how I heard about them (being Canadian and having never been to Ohio)...

And Poets of the Fall, who are pretty well known in Europe, but not so much here in North America. A damn shame, too (and if you're wondering, they describe themselves as "Cinematic Rock").

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
believer258 said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
believer258 said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Taerdin said:
Sonata Arctica is brilliant.
Unia is my favorite album. Ever.

OT: I'm going to post some I Am The Ocean. They're so unknown, its sickening.

And my two defaults for threads like this. Emilie Autumn.

And Closure in Moscow.

There we go. Enjoy anybody.
I enjoyed. Well, not really the Emilie Autumn, though it was definitely different, but the other two are worth checking out. Well, I'm going to anyway.
Emilie Autumn is definitely a niche musician. She does a really great job of mixing pop music with a gothic/industrial sound, with a little bit of classical music thrown in (she is a classically trained Violinist, after all). But I'll be the first to admit she is not for everyone.

But I'm glad to hear about the CiM and IATO. Closure's album "First Temple" is my fourth favorite album ever. Its damn near perfect.
Emilie Autumn's definitely a good singer. It's just not for me. Doesn't float my boat.

Anyway, have you ever heard of Before Their Eyes, The Almost, Upon Beauty Rests, Dead By Sunrise, I See Stars, or We Came As Romans? Those are all very different bands, but they seem to be right up your alley, and I don't think many of them are that well known. I know that Upon Beauty Rests isn't because it was an unsigned band that only got one demo out as far as I know (demo is available on iTunes.)
Actually, a good friend of mine used to be the guitarist of Before Their Eyes (Elliot Gruenberg) and they formed in a city I lived in for a few years. I'm not a big fan of The Almost, but they've got a couple of good songs. Same goes for We Came As Romans. I love the clean vocals though. And I've never heard of Upon Beauty Rests. I'll have to look into them.

A friend of mine absolutely loves Dead By Sunrise. They're a project from the Linkin Park lead singer, right?

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
believer258 said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
Actually, a good friend of mine used to be the guitarist of Before Their Eyes (Elliot Gruenberg) and they formed in a city I lived in for a few years. I'm not a big fan of The Almost, but they've got a couple of good songs. Same goes for We Came As Romans. I love the clean vocals though. And I've never heard of Upon Beauty Rests. I'll have to look into them.

A friend of mine absolutely loves Dead By Sunrise. They're a project from the Linkin Park lead singer, right?
Interesting that you had a buddy who used to be Before Their Eyes' guitarist.

Dead By Sunrise is Chester Bennington's side project, but it's nowhere near the rap-rock stuff that Linkin Park does. It sounds absolutely nothing like Linkin Park. It's full on alternative rock, you'd never know it if you weren't familiar with Chester's voice.
Yeah. We went to the same high school, same grade, etc. Bonded a bit during our senior year musical. Fun stuff.

I thought so. I've listened to them, and while I liked what I heard, I was never compelled to go out and buy their album(s).

Radiantskys

Mar 30, 2011
I would have to go with 1100 Springs or Dale Watson, one a Texas band, getting bigger and the other is really popular in Europe but has been playing here or so I've heard.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
I don't listen to all lot of Rap but these 2 are really good.

Necro: Violent lyrics,. Pretty damn good beats and cool lyrics.

Madvillain: INCREDIBLE BEATS and his lyrics are good (his beats are a mix 50's radio spot and and 50's tv shows it's really awesome).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJzmuwONw_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytxkJUM_7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHYwWvZtGyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0fVsCE92w

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
Kaytastrophe said:
A swedish metal band called sabaton.

Nothing better then a metal band constantly singing about world war II and other military conflicts.
Sir, you are now one of my best friends.

ManOwar if fairly unknown in the Western world despite being from New York! Damn you North American society!

Oh, yeah and the best Viking metal band EVER in the history of man.

Mr Tranquility

Nov 2, 2009
Little Dragon

I discovered them when I found out they collaborated with the Gorillaz on Plastic Beach. They're along the lines of Electronic Jazz and soul. They're a very talented group and I absolutely love Yukimi Nagano's voice.

Here's "Twice":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yedD4JsZyT0

I liked "Twice" so much that I remixed it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvQVnn1pfk&feature=channel_video_title

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Chevelle. 90% of the time, when I mention Chevelle everyone looks at me like I just claimed that unicorns came from space (they probably did, who am I to say no?). I've met only one other person who likes Chevelle in my first semester of college.