Music Festivals

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
Was at Secret Garden Party last year, which was absolutely amazing. Surprisingly, not really for the music. This year I'm looking at Boomtown, but tbh I think I would rather go to Croatia with my friends instead.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Here in Australia we have all our festivals early in the year...so yeah I'll be going to one maybe next year?
I do enjoy Soundwave, and I think warped tour is coming back to Australia this year so that could be something to look forward to.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Goin to Sasquatch tomorrow!(well today in 6 hours.... but who needs sleep?) 8th year in a row! I highly suggest making your way up here. Nothing beats The Gorge.

See? Nothing.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
capper42 said:
As for me, I'm currently incredibly excited for Glastonbury which starts 5 weeks today! I've been to Leeds festival three times before, but not for a while, and Glastonbury is meant to be about a million times better.
I heard the opposite, about Reading at least. Apparently Glasto is more family friendly and is aimed at children more than others. Saying that, I haven't been. I've only been to Reading and while the age range was smaller, it was more enjoyable for it.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Let's see...

I'm definitely going to Evolve in Nova Scotia. Going to buy my tickets today once I get paid.
Probably going to Folly Fest in New Brunswick.

I wish they still had Sunseekers. That was by far my favorite music festival. Had many many hammocks strung up in a woodsy area covered in small white decoration lights. It was beautiful.

I feel like there is more that I want to go to, but none others come to mind.
I just love being surrounded by hippies and drugs. Not so much the loud obnoxious drunks that are often present at the bigger festivals. Just the love.

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
Went to Download last year, going again this year.
Very much looking forward to Iron Maiden, Slipknot and BFMV.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
capper42 said:
As for me, I'm currently incredibly excited for Glastonbury which starts 5 weeks today! I've been to Leeds festival three times before, but not for a while, and Glastonbury is meant to be about a million times better.
I heard the opposite, about Reading at least. Apparently Glasto is more family friendly and is aimed at children more than others. Saying that, I haven't been. I've only been to Reading and while the age range was smaller, it was more enjoyable for it.
Really? Everyone I know that's ever been to Glastonbury and at least one other festival including Reading and Leeds has always said Glastonbury is the best festival they've ever been to.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Not going Download this year. Don't have the money.
Meh I'm not particularly interested in the line-up this year so no biggie.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Rastien said:
capper42 said:
So as Summer approaches festival season is almost upon us again, and I was wondering if any escapists are going to any? If so, where are you going and who are you excited about seeing? Also, what festivals have you been to before?

Well i'm working at glasto this year so see you there dude i'll be stewerding the Tipi area ;) funnily enough Glastonbury festival isn't in glastonbury it's actually in a village called Pilton and closer to shepton mallet where I live! :D locals call it Pilton Party so i'll see you there :)
Yeah I heard that, been reading a lot about it in my excitement. Only just under 5 weeks now I think I saw someone say yesterday. My girlfriend and I got our tickets in the resale last month, and it was kind of a spur of the moment decision to go. Because of that, it's come round so quickly, I'm used to having to wait months after getting my tickets and the festival actually happening, so this is really nice.

I need to air my tent out and make sure it hasn't deteriorated somehow in the past few years. I'm expecting it to be full of spiders.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
capper42 said:
Rastien said:
capper42 said:
So as Summer approaches festival season is almost upon us again, and I was wondering if any escapists are going to any? If so, where are you going and who are you excited about seeing? Also, what festivals have you been to before?

Well i'm working at glasto this year so see you there dude i'll be stewerding the Tipi area ;) funnily enough Glastonbury festival isn't in glastonbury it's actually in a village called Pilton and closer to shepton mallet where I live! :D locals call it Pilton Party so i'll see you there :)
Yeah I heard that, been reading a lot about it in my excitement. Only just under 5 weeks now I think I saw someone say yesterday. My girlfriend and I got our tickets in the resale last month, and it was kind of a spur of the moment decision to go. Because of that, it's come round so quickly, I'm used to having to wait months after getting my tickets and the festival actually happening, so this is really nice.

I need to air my tent out and make sure it hasn't deteriorated somehow in the past few years. I'm expecting it to be full of spiders.
Yeah you find alot of lost people in glastonbury asking where the festival is! :) 'it's about 20 miles the other way mate' ^^

I couldn't actually afford tickets but luckily managed to get in with a group of friends who stewerd there so i'm working 4, 8 hour shifts but i was lucky so all my shifts finish satuday afternoon and im completely free after that!

Personally can't wait to see smashing pumpkins ^^ hopefully going to manage to see enter shikari as well :D

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Download, Bloodstock and Shambala this year. Last year it was Bloodstock, and in 2011 it was Sonisphere. Download is going to be insane, the lineup is fantastic- Slipknot, Kvelertak, Stone Sour and Parkway Drive to name a few. There are fewer bands at Bloodstock I'm really excited about, but it's smaller and friendlier and Anthrax are headlining. Shambala will be a nice, ravey change of pace I think, should be good.

I thought about going to Hevy, except the current Black Flag sucks some serious arse, and other than that there's only a couple of bands I'd really want to see. Still, I'd kill to see Killswitch Engage again.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Download, Bloodstock and Shambala this year. Last year it was Bloodstock, and in 2011 it was Sonisphere. Download is going to be insane, the lineup is fantastic- Slipknot, Kvelertak, Stone Sour and Parkway Drive to name a few. There are fewer bands at Bloodstock I'm really excited about, but it's smaller and friendlier and Anthrax are headlining. Shambala will be a nice, ravey change of pace I think, should be good.

I thought about going to Hevy, except the current Black Flag sucks some serious arse, and other than that there's only a couple of bands I'd really want to see. Still, I'd kill to see Killswitch Engage again.
I'm not really a metal fan, but I just looked at the Bloodstock line up because I've never heard of it before, and I just love looking at metal line ups. They're all trying to out-font each other and it always just looks crazy.

Shambala looks great, like it has a really different chilled out vibe, I bet it's great fun. I wish I could afford three festivals!

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I don't really live close enough to anything to attend a stationary festival, but I am planning on at least attending Warped Tour and Summer Slaughter this year, as usual. Summer Slaughter in particular has a lineup I'm VERY excited for.

SecretsOfMoon

Nov 11, 2009
Not exactly a music festival, but the closest thing to one I'm heading to this year is the Ringmeet, at the Nürburgring Nordschleife coinciding with the old timer GP, so instead of music, it's cars.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
capper42 said:
I'm not really a metal fan, but I just looked at the Bloodstock line up because I've never heard of it before, and I just love looking at metal line ups. They're all trying to out-font each other and it always just looks crazy.

Shambala looks great, like it has a really different chilled out vibe, I bet it's great fun. I wish I could afford three festivals!
Yeah, I'm not really into the kinds of bands that have stupid logos like that (they're usually death or black metal bands... bleurgh), but it's a really nice festival. I'll admit I'm mainly going for Anthrax and Lamb of God though.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
ChippedShoulder said:
Download this year, Sonisphere 2011 but that's it. Sonisphere was awesome; got me into Biffy Clyro and Slipknot's stage show was pretty cool. Looking forward to QotSA this year :D
I found it funny how everyone bitched about Biffy headlining and came away loving them ^^

I've been to:

Sonisphere 2010 and 2011
Reading 2010
Download 2012

And I've got mah Download ticket for this year :) Pumped so much for the Saturday lineup. Alice in Chains, Motorhead, Mastodon, QOTSA and Maiden??? Fuck yeah!

Couldn't tell you what the best festival I've been to is. Reading kinda sucked, mainly because Guns n Roses were the biggest disappointment ever...
The best individual band I've ever seen at a festival was Gojira at Sonisphere in 2011. HOLY SHIT. They blew me away and I see them live every opportunity I get now. Kinda tempted to go to Bloodstock this year just to see them in a festival setting again ^^ +Lamb of God are always good live

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I usually try to go to 2 festivals a year, usually Leeds and Download. But I'm only going to Leeds this year for 2 reasons.

1) Not that bothered by the Download line up, but tempted to go on the Sunday to see Rammstien.
2) Cash is short all round with my friends and myself, so one had to go. I intend to go to 2 next year, I am determined to get Glastonbury tickets for next year.

Not that Leeds has a great lineup this year. But I love live music and I love finding new bands so, festivals it is. Gotta sort my tent out though.

capper42 said:
Glastonbury is awesome. Well it was the 2 times that I went, there is so much to see and do that you don't get at other festivals. You will never get bored, I definately recommend that you go to the Stone Circle at night. I wish I'd been able to get tickets for this year. I stupidly woke up 5 minutes before they all sold out. So I'm going to get them on pre-sale this year.

omega 616 said:
Been to download in 07 but that's it.

I think they are nothing but a waste of money to be honest. I can see an argument being made for the "atmosphere" but from my experience you get ripped off something fierce, sound quality is fucking awful, lugging your shit there and back is a pain in the arse, sweaty people everywhere, the "toilets" (especially on the last day).

I have also seen the embarrsing bodies episode where they went to a music festival, chances are you will get ill from something! The foot fungus, the STD's, the piss poor living conditions ... it's like living back in the medieval times.
Man, Download '07 was awesome, that was the last time the festival was held inside the racetrack and you could get to the arena without having to walk for miles.

But you forgot to mention that festivals are constantly noisy, you can never get a decent night sleep. The weather is frequently unpredictable (mostly raining). Its cold at night and most festivals won't let you have camp fires anymore. And the alcoholic drinks they serve are fucking awful. Also, because I'm getting older, drunken idiot kids that are there after finishing their exams and think that because they are away from mum and dad for the first time and have had half a can of Stella they have a license to act like complete dicks (generalisations...AWAY!!!!)

I still love festivals though, despite my advancing years.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Catfood220 said:
Man, Download '07 was awesome, that was the last time the festival was held inside the racetrack and you could get to the arena without having to walk for miles.

But you forgot to mention that festivals are constantly noisy, you can never get a decent night sleep. The weather is frequently unpredictable (mostly raining). Its cold at night and most festivals won't let you have camp fires anymore. And the alcoholic drinks they serve are fucking awful. Also, because I'm getting older, drunken idiot kids that are there after finishing their exams and think that because they are away from mum and dad for the first time and have had half a can of Stella they have a license to act like complete dicks (generalisations...AWAY!!!!)

I still love festivals though, despite my advancing years.
Walk for miles? In terms of tent placement I was in the nose bleeds! I had to walk for literally 10 minutes to get close to a stage. I guess that is why is actually quite calm ... there was a tent 4 down from me with 3 or 4 kids in that made a lot of noise but I slept really well.

In fact the tent next to mine had this guy in (next to him was his son and his sons GF) and he was nice to me, helped me set my tent up, we chatted, let me read some book/leaflet things he got etc which was nice 'cos I went there by myself.

I don't drink alcohol so I will have to take your word on that.

I was pissed after that download 'cos I learned Corey Taylor was walking round talking to folks and I never saw him.

EDIT: forgot about the weather. I, being a typical nerd, am like Dracula ... avoid the sun at all costs but at download '07 I got the most wicked tan ... it lasted like 3 years! It was fucking scorching hot and all the places selling drinks where SOOO expensive!

m1garand23

Dec 7, 2009
The only music festival I've been to, is bloodstock in 2010 and it was an excellent weekend, best experience of the festival has to be the jig pits in korpiklanni, they were insane and the pits for cannibal corpse were hell on earth. I would love to go back there this year the line up looks amazing and the atmosphere was brilliant, its a pity i'm saving my money for uni though.