Musical Stereotypes.

Jan 29, 2009
That is silly- I mean stupid. At my school there is a bunch of people who listen to metal, they're just fine, the most they do is headbash and wear metallica t-shirts.

vgdark

Jan 15, 2011
when somebody says that all metal music is emo music, when it gets called screamo,metal is only for 15 year olds

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Well, OP, I think you need to be more sympathetic with the error of the security guard considering the prejudices of your own.

OT
I'm not sure what people would say about my music taste. The only confrontation I've had about my taste in music was over a Citizen Cope shirt. Every person was just curious as to why my shirt had a picture of a man kicking a drum or what the words on the back of my shirt meant.

I like to listen to neo soul, the blues, folk, and alternative rock. I've also got a bunch of rap, hip-hop, rhythm and blues, punk, indie, metal, pop, classical, and gospel. I have a ton of stuff by the Blind Boys of Alabama. Man, they kick ass. The way they sing Amazing Grace or I Shall Not Walk Alone is beautiful.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Psycho-Toaster said:
NeutralDrow said:
Still, I kinda wish I could remember where that "100 characteristics of Power Metal" list was, since it might be relevant...
This one? [http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/fun_comments.php?fun_id=6]
"The longer a song is, the more epic it is." Yep, that's the one.

As a huge power metal fan, I love that list.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Im going to be honest here, he over reacted, but at the same time the fact that he knew what you were listening to, when you had headphones in means you really need to turn you music down.

You know the type of person who blasted the radio in there car with tons of bass? You probably come up as a smaller, more concentrated version of that.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Kagobin said:
A trio of black folk discussing whether or not you can jizz rainbow colors.
Well I'm the kind of person who would turn off my music to listen to that conversation because as stupid as that sounds it also sounds completely hilarious.

As for me, when I was in school I had to make up a couple of credits by taking a couple of classes I'd failed at the alternative school after I got done with my regular classes. The rules there were really lax, we could bring in food and listen to music and stuff as long as we got our work done.

This wasn't very long after the Russell Crowe "Gladiator" came out and I'd picked up the soundtrack because it's actually really good. I was listening to it while I was doing my work, and I had the volume down really low. The guy that was watching us making sure we were doing our work was some sort of whacked out Jesus freak that looked like he'd taken a few too many drugs in the 60's and then found god.

After about half an hour of working quietly he came over to me and told me to turn my music down he could hear it all the way across the room and I figured what the hell, maybe he had bionic hearing so I turned it down a bit. A few minuets later he comes and tells me he can still hear it and that I still need to turn it down, this time I know there's no way in hell that he can hear it because I can barely hear it myself so I just stop the CD and leave my headphones on and continue working. A little bit later he comes and tells me that if I can't keep my music down to a reasonable level he's gonna take my CD player so I open it and show him that it hasn't been playing since the last time he bothered me. He apologized profusely and didn't bother me again after that. A bout a month later he took off with a bunch of the regular alternative school students on some sort of camp retreat thing and I didn't have to deal with him, the regular guy Paul took over and things went more awesome for the rest of my time there.

Asti

Jun 23, 2011
I don't think I ever got crap for the music I listened to, but wearing black always got me "I bet you just sacrificed a goat" comments when I still lived in a rural region.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Apparently because I listen to post-hardcore/metalcore mostly I'm emo :D

I have short blonde hair, no piercings, all I wear is jeans (not the ones that look like they came from my sister, just ones that fit) and band t shirts and vans.

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
Because I'm a bassist, I'm supposed to be:
- smoking
- using weed/hash
- be chill and laidback
- some kind of failed guitar player

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
In my class I'm the emo guy. I go to a private school and in my grade there are a total of 13 people and as far as I'm aware I'm the only one who listens to stuff like Avenged Sevenfold
(I'm aware that they're not heavy metal, to summarise what I listen to I'll put it simple; I listen to the pussy version of "Heavy Metal")

Unfortunately because I listen to that genre mostly I get a big sticker slapped on me that says "emo". ¬.¬

I listen to mostly Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, 30 Seconds to Mars, Bullet for my Valentine. I do listen to lots of other genres aswell, I enjoy some post hardcore, stuff like The Beach Boys, DJ Tiesto.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
ah, this kinda makes me remember kind of a reversed kind of situation, a metalhead who refused to believe that people who listened to a certain kind of music could be nothing but the associated stereotype.

for example, I listen to gothic metal, heavy metal and similar genres, and therefor I by default accoarding to him had to dress in a certain way and have certain interests or I would be as he called it a "poser", now I don't like to stay the same, a jump between styles and music all the time, just as with anything else I want veriety and dress in the stuff I like, sometimes that is classic goth, sometimes it is more lolita, somtimes it is just strict office wear, I just think styles are fun.

but this guy just had to fit into a stereotype, he couldn't get into his head the possibility of an Emo liking basketball for example, of people being more than their choosen music and style, then he/she would only be a "poser".

and he was sad because he was lonely, he wanted another metalhead girlfriend, but he only found "posers"... some how I sort of think he has him self to blame for his loneliness

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Kagobin said:
Now, I realize that not a lot of people in Atlanta listen to Metal, Dubstep, or anything more sophisticated than the ill-grammatical rapping of Lil' Wayne(mostly because the majority of Atlanta's citizens are in fact, black)...

TL;DR: What is your opinion on stereotypes....
Ohohohohoho nicely done there, you cheeky scamp!
I kid, I kid, but thanks for giving me my laugh for the day.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Kagobin said:
Bags159 said:
How did he know what you were listening to?
They were REAL headphones, not earbuds. They sat on top of my ear. supra-neural i believe is the term.
It's very rude to play music in public loud enough for the people around you to hear it. Not everyone shares your taste, and even decent music sounds shitty and annoying when all you can hear from it is the ambient noise emanating from someone's headphones.

Having said that, the security guard was a douche and I would have just laughed at him and kept my headphones on.

I'm pretty sure I've been judged by my taste in music before, but I just dismissed those people as idiots and promptly forgot about it.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I sort of am the stereotypical white guy that listens to rap. So imagine a wigger with an Australian accent, baggy jeans and a big hoody. only way I really break this stereotype is my jeans aren't too baggy( in case I actually need to run for whatever reason) and I bag myself out a lot instead of acting gangsta to everyone I meet.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Too many to count, but I'll try:

The platitudinous drivel of 'it's just noise' or 'they don't even sing, there vocals don't take any talent' gets thrown at metal quite a bit. Also, I like progressive music therefore I'm an arrogant, pretentious, stoner. I like soul and classic rock from the 70's I must hate anything modern. Most of my CD collection are things you haven't heard of and therefore I hate all mainstream music. People never seem to consider that I might like a wide variety of genres outside of rock/metal. If I don't criticise artists of selling out the moment they become successful/make an experimental album I have no taste or integrity. If I like an artists later work, then apparently I couldn't possibly like or even have heard of their earlier stuff 'when they were still good' despite being something I could find out with a fucking wikipedia search on the band, or at a stretch something like the Metal Archives. I only listen to music that has a bleak and despondant ambience and/or lyrical disposition. That if I like anything that falls out of your jurisdiction of true metal then we couldn't possibly find any common ground and I couldn't possibly like anything good. The misconception that I actually give a shit about what constitutes true metal or genre labels in general. That after naming a few bands people will instantly try to pidgeonhole me and think that there's nothing we could possibly find that we both like. That my CD collection reflects my entire scope of interest in music as a whole, rather than because there are fucking thousands of CD's and I really don't have that much money. And perhaps most of all, that everything from a certain genre sounds the same. Fuck that. And fuck you for thinking it.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but fucking believe me there is SO much more.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I listen to a smorgasboard of music.

Rap, Metal, Techno, Jazz, Classical, Rock, Jap. Pop, Parody, Disco, Alternative, Comedic, and the occasional game and movie soundtrack.

People classify me as "WTF?!?!" because I don't have a determined favorite. Music is music. Except country. Makes me feel... Sterotypical for living the the middle of the states.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Apparently listening to happy, light-hearted, fun pop music means I'm an idiot, an airhead or completely vapid and unable to appreciate "real" art. Because the music you listen to when you want to unwind or have fun is obviously indicative of intelligence and not just the type of music you feel like listening to at any given time.

As it so happens, I'm currently getting a near-perfect GPA in law school. If musical preferences really do have anything to do with intelligence, then I'll continue listening to my stupid pop music, since apparently it's working out for me.

SanguineScale

Jun 8, 2011
I will go onto a bus today, with large headphones. I will blare the loudest, happiest, most upbeat and positive music I can find in existence. No cynicism in its content at all, and just blare it. We'll see what happens.